Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-15-03, 11:40 PM   #25
etr

Well, the first step will be to download the driver script from nVidia. Normally, you would just run that and let it take care of the installation for you. However, to enter the code changes, you will instead need to run it like this:

Code:
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg1.run --extract-only
This should create a directory with the source code (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg1/usr/src/nv/, relative to the directory from which you performed the extraction). Once you have this code, you can make the modifications I recommend in my prior e-mail.

Next, you will want to unload the AGPGART module. You can do this with the following command:

Code:
/sbin/rmmod agpgart
One the module is unloaded, you can proceed to build and install the nVidia kernel module. To clarify a concern you had, you do NOT have to rebuild the entire kernel. The Linux kernel can be divided into pieces. The core of the kernel gets loaded into memory at boot time, but much of it--particularly device drivers--are compiled into separate components that are only loaded when they are needed. These separate "components" are called modules. In most cases, such modules can be compiled into the rest of the kernel, but this is often unnecessary and undesirable.

The nVidia driver requires a kernel module, and you must build and install your own copy of it for the code changes we discussed to take effect. To do this, enter the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg1 (again, relative to the directory from which you extracted the source) and run the following command:

Code:
make install
Provided you have the required packages in place (the C compiler, make, the kernel headers, etc), this should be all you need to do to build and install your new kernel.

If all of this goes of without a hitch, I would recommend commenting out the lines you added to your /etc/modules.conf file for AGPGART. This is a nice precaution to prevent a software conflict. I would just comment these lines (by adding "#" characters to the front of them) rather than deleting them so that you can easily restore them, should the need arive.

Next, I would re-verify that AGPGART is not loaded using the /sbin/lsmod command. If you see agpgart.o, unload the module again using the same command as before. I don't really expect it to show up, but if it does, the change to /etc/modules.conf should prevent it from happening again.

After that, adjust nvAGP and try X!

For reference, a good part of the material I've included in this and prior posts can be found in the FAQ for the driver at: ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...496/README.txt
etr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-04, 01:18 PM   #26
DerKostka

Send a message via ICQ to DerKostka

Hi, this Problem is also interesting for me.

I have got the Ali Magik 1 chipset on my motherboard and my linux freezes if i enable nvagp. That means every other value than 0 crashes. I will now try to use agpgart from the kernel to fix the problem. Do you know if any new kernel version has fixed that "bug" ?
DerKostka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-04, 08:25 AM   #27
DerKostka

Send a message via ICQ to DerKostka
Thumbs down

I tried the 2.6.1-mm2 but still my X freezes when AGP is enabled...
DerKostka is offline   Reply With Quote