Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-28-11, 09:28 AM   #97
CoSWill

Default Re: iRacing

That screenshot in post 194 is not me wrecking...I'm on the apron doing some of my crash avoidance

I run as hard as I can while still trying to protect my SR. It's not easy as I'm sure you know slaWter.

I would like you to make me a New Hampshire set. The season 3 set you gave me was really good.
CoSWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-11, 04:21 PM   #98
CoSWill

Yes I always get the setups in the Silverado forum. Seems like the best ones I usually get come from someone who shares in practice sessions.

My irating is a slow process. Every time I have a good finish and gain some, I'll have 2 or 3 bad showings and drop back. I am currently at 1014 irating, so that keeps me in the lower splits. One of these days I'll put together 3 or more good races in a row and make some progress.

It's funny, but I start every race with the same objective...run fast and stay out of trouble. That is not an easy task considering some people don't even take time to prepare for a race. I've seen people join a race and once they get in there they ask "does anyone have a setup for this track?" LOL

I don't even consider joining a race until I have practiced, run time trials, qualified and tested different sets.
Old 11-29-11, 05:35 PM   #99
CoSWill

They just started Class C fixed set racing. I am reading some good responses to it. I did spectate an Indy car fixed race a Pocono last night. It had some of the top dogs in it...Tyler Hudson and Tim Doyle.

They also have the trucks involved in the fixed races...looks pretty tempting to me. No need for pit stops because they are just half the laps of official races. I did some testing with the fixed truck this morning and had no problems controlling the car.
Old 12-02-11, 09:40 AM   #100
CoSWill

Just finished a race at Chicagoland. I was running in 14th place and not really gaining on the field. It was an early race so there was only one field, so i was running with the higher split racers.

On lap 26 there was a caution, so we all pitted. The green flag dropped at lap 28 and I was still running in 14th. I knew I was going to be very close on fuel for the remaining laps. The field started pitting on green at about lap 70 to 75. I kept going and it put me into 5th place.

I took the gamble and ran for the finish. At lap 85 with 5 to go, I get the message from my pit that I have only 5 laps of fuel left. I was on lap 90 on the back stretch when I run out of fuel lol. I coasted to the finish, but the 6th place car passed me with only 20 yards to the line. I finished 6th.

The only way I had a chance at a decent finish was to gamble. It was a strong field of racers.

Very fun race
Old 12-25-11, 11:41 AM   #101
CoSWill

I am not in this race...it was a top split Talladega race I spectated this week...this pic was the finish lol...close

Old 12-25-11, 02:41 PM   #102
CoSWill

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
That IS close. Fantastic shot
And Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas to you too...slaWter

I am running in every race for Class C this season. I am rated somewhere around 35th in my division. I am in 1st place for the season time tirals for my division maybe they'll give me a cookie lol.

I am not as fond of the super speedways as I was when I started. I actually have grown fond of tracks like Homestead, Texas, Chicagoland, and Charlotte. Those tracks require a good setup and a little talent to do well at. My best finish this season is a second place finish, with a couple of 4th's . I am looking forward to Kentucky.

When you get some time, join me for some laps
Old 01-12-12, 10:04 AM   #103
CoSWill

3rd place finish at Pocono....Woot!!! Zero incidents.

I didn't think I would do very well there, but it surprised me. I guess all the practicing I do pays off

I haven't had a top 5 finish since Iowa. Only one track left for this season..Bristol. I will probably run another race or 2 at Pocono this week, then I'll start practicing for Bristol. When I run a race at Bristol it will make a full season of truck races for me.
Old 05-15-12, 06:59 PM   #104
CoSWill

Ran a race at Atlanta in the trucks today...finished 5th woot~!!!

I have noticed the tri-oval is a little tricky this season...i was driving along and whoosh, I was sliding across the grass and right past the end of the pits. I didn't hit anything but got a black flag for speeding in the pits lol.

This was my first race since February because I broke my hand and am just now able to hold the wheel.

Old 05-16-12, 01:00 PM   #105
CoSWill

I'm embarrassed to tell anyone about the hand. Let's say I was being a typical male

My 670 is running great. I have noticed a little drag in the graphics in iRacing, like when you come into a shaded area. I doesn't really take anything away from the game, but I do see it. I am running forced AF @ 16 and AA @ 16, so that might have something to do with it. I am confident that nVidia will come up with a driver that will have a performance gain ( they always do ) hehe.

I did play around with Skyrim at max settings and it looked and ran beautifully with my 670.
Old 05-16-12, 08:17 PM   #106
CoSWill

My 480 has already been boxed up I always ran it with vsync on and don't remember running any FPS tests on it. I used to do that back in my Geforce 2 thru 6800 days

I did do some FPS tests today on my 670 that might be helpful to you.

nVidia driver 301.34
MSI GTX 670 2GB
Intel i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz
MSI Z68A-GD80
8 GB DDR3
Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

All NV drivers set to default except vsync set to OFF.
iRacing graphic settings at max except AF and AA set to OFF
(vsync OFF for all tests).
All tests are done running 2 laps at Atlanta @ race speed.
165 to 260 FPS

Set in game graphic settings to AF=16, AA=4
130 to 245 FPS

Set NV driver AF to override all @ 16, AA to orverride @ 8x
98 to 170 FPS

Set NV driver AF same, AA @ 16x CSAA
130 to 210 FPS

Set NV driver AF same, AA @ 16xQ CSAA
67 to 142 FPS

Set NV driver AF same, AA @ 32x CSAA
66-140 FPS

Set NV driver AF=OFF, AA=OFF, FXAA=ON
135 to 215 FPS

I hope these tests help in some way
Old 05-17-12, 07:18 AM   #107
CoSWill

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Thanks a lot for the testing and feedback! I have the framerate limited at 83 FPS as it feels smoother than with vsync even though I don't always get that high at my res. I was just looking for a subjective comparison between the two cards But your benchmark is great as well

Did you have the 2-pass shadowing and higher c0ckpit mirror settings enabled during your testing?
Did you notice any smoothness or stuttering issues with the 670 compared to the 480?

The ovals, especially during practice sessions, are a lot easier on the framerate compared to tracks like Spa or Suzuka. But I guess it should work just as great on those tracks. I'll take another look at the iRacing forum and probably get a few cards once the Zotac 4GB model is available here.
Yes, shadowing and mirror are on.

I noticed some stuttering with the 670 using vsync. However, running those tests with vsync off, there was no stuttering at all.
My 480 never stuttered with vsync on.

I seem to remember alot of tearing in games with vsync off with the 480, but with the 670 in iRacing I didn't see any tearing at all with vsync off. Interesting.
Old 04-06-13, 11:06 AM   #108
slaWter

Did another iRacing video recently. This could be the start of a small series of videos showcasing different iRacing car/track combos.

A buddy of mine and I just pick a random combo, go in a do a few laps. So we usually don't have any practice and therefore the videos might contain some slow or strange driving but the laps are usually quite fun (at least for us)

So there is part one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvu-tpXNjQQ

Shame all my posts got deleted here. This thread contained some very useful informations for iRacers!
slaWter is offline   Reply With Quote