Go Back   nV News Forums > General Forums > Open Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-22-13, 04:06 PM   #1
Butter Bandit

Default Finally Back, After Near Fatal Motorcycle Wreck

Hey guys, been a long time!

Short version: Around 3 months ago I totaled my brand new 2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 by crashing it into a steel pipe fence going around 40mph.

This is the bike:

I don't have any memory of the wreck itself, and the last thing I recall before the wreck was stopping at a stop sign a few miles from the scene of the incident. Next thing I recall is waking up laying on my back out in a grassy field, just looking at the beautiful blue sky. I initially thought that I must have got hammered drunk the night before and passed out in someone's yard. I then noticed that something was attached to my head, and it was about 2/3's of my motorcycle helmet. 1/3 of the helmet had been blasted off when I hit the fence (if not for that helmet, I'd surely be dead).

At that point I looked down and saw the remains of my motorcycle about 15 yards in front of me, and figured out I had been in a wreck. And to my immediate left, the mangled remains of my left leg. I snapped my femur in two, and my shinbone was shattered into 7 pieces, one of which was 2 inches long and lying on the ground next to me (they couldn't put it back in because of risk of infection and wouldn't let me keep it either!) The tibia and fibula fractures were almost all compound, I had bones sticking out in 4 different spots, and blood was quickly making it's way out of my body.

I pulled out my cell phone to call for help, only to discover that it had been smashed at some point during impact and was of no use to me. So, I just had to lie down and wait. Literally it felt like I was just waiting to die, and it wasn't that bad. I didn't feel any pain, it was strangely serene, and I was feeling pretty tired. I figured if I was going to die,this sure beats the hell out of kicking in in a musky old nursing home or dingy hospital room.

A few minutes later a guy rushes down and asks if I'm ok. I glanced over myself, then back up at him and said "......naw man, I'm pretty sure I'm definitely not ok. My phone broke in the wreck, I think you need to call an ambulance because I'm pretty sure I'm dying, and make the ambulance call quick so you can call my parents and tell them where I'm and what's happened." By some miracle I was actually able to recall their cell phone numbers without access to my phone.

An EMT shows up and basically says they need a helicopter, because I wouldn't survive an ambulance ride to the nearest trauma center that could treat me. Parents arrive, hysterical, I try to assure them I'm "ok", but they can tell I'm in really bad shape. Helicopter lands, and an emt tells me he has to straighten out my left leg to get me on the stretcher. I say "go ahead, it doesn't hurt at all right now, I think I'm paralyzed", he responds "No...you're not paralyzed, you're just in shock, and moving this leg is probably going to hurt, bad".

It did. Pain so excessive my consciousness rapidly faded to black. A short while later I regain consciousness while on the chopper and try to enjoy the ride. Arrive at the hospital and they put me straight into surgery. They decide to save the leg, and put a titanium rod from my hip to knee, and a second titanium rod from knee to ankle. (I'm being transformed into a terminator). I had to receive 4 units of blood, and spent a week in the hospital.

X-Ray of my lower leg after surgery (the bright bar is the titanium rod)

It was brutal.
Intel Core I5 @ 4.2ghz; EVGA P55 FTW 200 Motherboard; 8gb DDR3 1600 RAM; Dual SLI EVGA Geforce 465 GTXs; 80gb Intel SSD; 120gb OCZ Vertex SSD; 640gb 7200rpm HDD; 720gb 7200rpm HDD; Cooler Master 942 HAF Case; Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Butter Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 04:08 PM   #2
Butter Bandit

Default Re: Finally Back, After Near Fatal Motorcycle Wreck

Oh, forgot, bike after the wreck:
Intel Core I5 @ 4.2ghz; EVGA P55 FTW 200 Motherboard; 8gb DDR3 1600 RAM; Dual SLI EVGA Geforce 465 GTXs; 80gb Intel SSD; 120gb OCZ Vertex SSD; 640gb 7200rpm HDD; 720gb 7200rpm HDD; Cooler Master 942 HAF Case; Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-22-13, 05:06 PM   #3
mullet

Good lord dude, I hope you recover fast. I can not even imagine the pain. Take care.
Old 05-22-13, 09:17 PM   #4
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

I ride, too. I know how you feel. I did something similar in 2010, except all I had was a concussion.

Be safe.

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 11:12 PM   #5
ALobpreis

OMG, buddy... How are you know? How is your leg??
Could you discover what actually happened in the accident?

I sincerely hope you recover as soon as possible!!
ALobpreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 11:35 PM   #6
Starscream
Decepticook

Holy crap.

Best wishes and here's to a speedy recovery!
Old 05-23-13, 11:04 AM   #7
Q

Wooooooow. I'm glad you made it through, man!

This is exactly why my wife won't let me own a bike.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13, 12:25 PM   #8
Butter Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALobpreis View Post
OMG, buddy... How are you know? How is your leg??
Could you discover what actually happened in the accident?

I sincerely hope you recover as soon as possible!!
I'm pretty good. The femur has nearly completely healed. The tibia (shinbone) still isn't showing any signs of healing (no callous showing up on x-rays). I have full range of motion in the left leg however, so once the tibia heals up I'll be able to put weight on the left leg and likely make a full recovery. Estimate on how long it will be before I can put weight on the left leg is anywhere from 1 month to 9 months from now.

I can *technically* walk right now, and the surgeon even told me that I could probably walk around on it for several months or a year even without the shinbone healing up....however, because all of my weight would be supported by two screws in the top and bottom of the shinbone, micro-fractures would start to form where the rod is bolted to the bone, and eventually the rod would simply break free of the bone, which would likely force them to put my left leg in traction and I'd be stuck in a hospital bed for several months. Therefore, I only use the left leg in emergencies, and put as little weight as possible on it.

The torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder is actually more painful than my left leg, but I can't have surgery to fix that right now because I'd have my arm in a sling for a couple of months, preventing me from using crutches, a walker, or even a wheelchair. Basically I just have to deal with it until I can put weight on my leg....the surgeon is a bit worried about that because he is afraid I am making the rotator cuff injury worse by relying on the arm to get around, but that's a risk I'm willing to take. I can't afford to not be able to get around on my own.

Unless a witness to the accident comes forward, or I magically regain my memory, I doubt we'll ever know for sure what happened.

Old 05-23-13, 12:31 PM   #9
Butter Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
I ride, too. I know how you feel. I did something similar in 2010, except all I had was a concussion.

Be safe.
It was a beautiful motorcycle, I'm really pissed that I destroyed such a fine bike. That's probably why I didn't bail off the bike before it hit the fence, I imagine I was trying to recover and pull it back up on to the road, didn't want to put a single scratch on it.

If I had bailed, I'd probably have just had a few scrapes and bruises...and I've bailed off my previous bikes in the past, so it's something that would have come naturally to me, thus I'm sure I must have thought I could save it.
Old 05-24-13, 11:00 AM   #10
slaWter

Glad you came out of that! Take care and have a speedy recovery!

Not knowing what happened must be strange as well.
slaWter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-13, 12:51 PM   #11
Butter Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Glad you came out of that! Take care and have a speedy recovery!

Not knowing what happened must be strange as well.
Thanks!

Yeah, not being able to remember is really frustrating. In a way, I'm glad I don't remember the impact itself, since I'm sure that was most unpleasant. But it bothers me that I don't remember what led to the crash itself. Doc said that it's pretty common in serious accidents like that, your brain just doesn't have the opportunity to create long term memories during the trauma, and considering my helmet got demolished I took a brutal blow to the head as well.
Old 05-25-13, 03:41 PM   #12
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit View Post
I'm pretty good. The femur has nearly completely healed. The tibia (shinbone) still isn't showing any signs of healing (no callous showing up on x-rays). I have full range of motion in the left leg however, so once the tibia heals up I'll be able to put weight on the left leg and likely make a full recovery. Estimate on how long it will be before I can put weight on the left leg is anywhere from 1 month to 9 months from now.

I can *technically* walk right now, and the surgeon even told me that I could probably walk around on it for several months or a year even without the shinbone healing up....however, because all of my weight would be supported by two screws in the top and bottom of the shinbone, micro-fractures would start to form where the rod is bolted to the bone, and eventually the rod would simply break free of the bone, which would likely force them to put my left leg in traction and I'd be stuck in a hospital bed for several months. Therefore, I only use the left leg in emergencies, and put as little weight as possible on it.

The torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder is actually more painful than my left leg, but I can't have surgery to fix that right now because I'd have my arm in a sling for a couple of months, preventing me from using crutches, a walker, or even a wheelchair. Basically I just have to deal with it until I can put weight on my leg....the surgeon is a bit worried about that because he is afraid I am making the rotator cuff injury worse by relying on the arm to get around, but that's a risk I'm willing to take. I can't afford to not be able to get around on my own.

Unless a witness to the accident comes forward, or I magically regain my memory, I doubt we'll ever know for sure what happened.
Torn Rotator cuff ain't a joke. Shoulder pain is one of the worst pains someone can feel. I tore my rotator cuff and broke my shoulder into 4 pieces last year. Excruciating. I hate to break it to you, but after your surgery, its going to feel 10 times worse. You'll be in significant pain for a solid 2+ months after your surgery and for the first 2 weeks the pain is near unbearable (just being honest).

I feel for you man. I know I just spelled out bad stuff, but its better to know than not to know. You'll get through it.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote