Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-22-04, 09:31 PM   #13
buxom

Default sata

i did not even try to do the SATA. i went with just the ide and it worked fine. I did have to disable the SATA in the bios to get the win2k installer to boot and find the ide drive though. The bios upgrade I did later may have fixed that now.

After reading some more posts here I figured out that I actually want the
ia32 drivers that are listed for the nforce2. I thought the amd64 tarball would be for the nforce3 but I guess they did not change enough with the nforce3 from the nforce2 to need a new version.

Now I am on to getting the video to work...
buxom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-04, 09:53 PM   #14
Dimensio

Default Re: sata

Quote:
Originally posted by buxom
i did not even try to do the SATA. i went with just the ide and it worked fine. I did have to disable the SATA in the bios to get the win2k installer to boot and find the ide drive though. The bios upgrade I did later may have fixed that now.
Well, I actually need Windows to see the SATA device, and I'd prefer it if it cannot find the IDE drive, as I don't want it to even notice its presence lest it ask if I want to format it -- I have no NTFS partitions on it, so Windows has no business looking at it. Still, I have to decide if I want the base WinXP installation on the SATA drive or if I want to keep it on the 9GB NTFS partition of my current 18GB SCSI drive (which is how I have things arranged now, with the root partition of my Linux install being on the other 9GB partition).

Quote:
After reading some more posts here I figured out that I actually want the ia32 drivers that are listed for the nforce2. I thought the amd64 tarball would be for the nforce3 but I guess they did not change enough with the nforce3 from the nforce2 to need a new version.
Thanks for this information, I'll keep it in mind.

Quote:
Now I am on to getting the video to work...
Oh, dear. What kind of problems are you having?

I managed to get the 1.0-5328 drivers up and running without a hitch on my current setup, but I am concerned about it on a more up-to-date machine. I also don't know if I should use the AMD 64 drivers or just the old IA32 ones for now.
Dimensio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-04, 10:05 PM   #15
buxom

Default no problems yet...

I have actually just started. i needed to get the nic working so i could d/l stuff without having to boot into windows.

I am getting fedora right now. I am going to try the athlon64 version of it and see if it works. I am not sure what is going to happen with neverwinter nights under it though. I will probably have to go with the 32 bit version but who knows.

Everything seems to work fine in windows 2000. I have a wierd problem with my usb mouse where when I boot up it will not load it. I have to unlug and replug it several times before it will work.
buxom is offline   Reply With Quote