Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-17-04, 08:37 PM   #1
Rob_0126
Freedom is not free

Default Gothic II

Anyone played this yet? I want some feedback, cause I read a review, and it seems like it might be good, but I dont know.

Robert
Rob_0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-04, 10:09 PM   #2
Gargr

Default Re: Gothic II

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob_0126
Anyone played this yet? I want some feedback, cause I read a review, and it seems like it might be good, but I dont know.

Robert

BEST GAME EVER!!!
"When it comes to Nintendo strategy, it's not that we want to make games for kids. It's that we want to make them creative while appealing to a wider audience. Obviously we see games as entertainment, and what we want to do is find the best way to make the gameplay experience entertaining for everyone." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Gargr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-04, 05:09 AM   #3
Rob_0126
Freedom is not free

Default Re: Re: Gothic II

Quote:
Originally posted by Gargr
BEST GAME EVER!!!
hmph, what makes it the best game ever?

Robert
Old 01-18-04, 10:39 AM   #4
St Lobus

Send a message via ICQ to St Lobus

Both Gothic 1 and 2 are excellent games. Gothic 1 was plagued with bugs, and both have a really unusual control scheme that you have to get used to. The two games have a wonderful story that continues very well from one game to the other. Graphically, it's not the best, but it certainly isn't the worst, either.

If you have some patience, I'd recommend picking up Gothic 2, and then sitting down for an hour or two and really get used to the controls. Once you do, the game will draw you in.
Old 01-18-04, 04:38 PM   #5
Rob_0126
Freedom is not free

Quote:
Originally posted by St Lobus
Both Gothic 1 and 2 are excellent games. Gothic 1 was plagued with bugs, and both have a really unusual control scheme that you have to get used to. The two games have a wonderful story that continues very well from one game to the other. Graphically, it's not the best, but it certainly isn't the worst, either.

If you have some patience, I'd recommend picking up Gothic 2, and then sitting down for an hour or two and really get used to the controls. Once you do, the game will draw you in.
Ive been considering it, from what review PC Gamer gave it.

They talk about how dynamic the NPC's are, that they dont stand around like posts, that they have duties during the day that they carry out. That interests me, but what is this control scheme you talk about?

Robert
Old 01-18-04, 06:52 PM   #6
St Lobus

Send a message via ICQ to St Lobus

Well, when I first started playing Gothic 1, I spent 20 minutes figuring out how to pick up the first thing I saw because it's not just a button. You hold down an action button and then press forward to pick the item up...I think there was one other thing in gothic one. Gothic 2 stream lined things a bit more as far as inventory and item interaction.

Combat is different, too. You hold down the action button, then can either press left or right to swing your weapon that way, or press the forward button in a kind of rhythm to use some better...combos, for the lack of a better word.

If you do have the patience to get used to it, you'll find yourself in a very immersive game. The NPC thing is absolutely true. NPCs have their own schedules, stores close at certain times, people go to bars later in the nights, it's really kind of neat to watch this world they created breathe and live.
Old 01-18-04, 07:14 PM   #7
Rob_0126
Freedom is not free

Quote:
Originally posted by St Lobus
Well, when I first started playing Gothic 1, I spent 20 minutes figuring out how to pick up the first thing I saw because it's not just a button. You hold down an action button and then press forward to pick the item up...I think there was one other thing in gothic one. Gothic 2 stream lined things a bit more as far as inventory and item interaction.

Combat is different, too. You hold down the action button, then can either press left or right to swing your weapon that way, or press the forward button in a kind of rhythm to use some better...combos, for the lack of a better word.

If you do have the patience to get used to it, you'll find yourself in a very immersive game. The NPC thing is absolutely true. NPCs have their own schedules, stores close at certain times, people go to bars later in the nights, it's really kind of neat to watch this world they created breathe and live.
eh. AN action button? What ever happened to 'l-click'= slash?

Robert
Old 01-18-04, 09:22 PM   #8
Gargr

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob_0126
eh. AN action button? What ever happened to 'l-click'= slash?

Robert

I hate games where you just click teh mouse butten = teh WIN
****ing lame IMO.

Controlls are great, it just takes some time to get used to tem.
"When it comes to Nintendo strategy, it's not that we want to make games for kids. It's that we want to make them creative while appealing to a wider audience. Obviously we see games as entertainment, and what we want to do is find the best way to make the gameplay experience entertaining for everyone." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Gargr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-04, 02:43 PM   #9
SlamDunk

Thumbs up

Let me say you this: if you like adventure/RPG games then the Gothic series are a must.

I was instantly hooked when I played the Gothic demo for the first time a few years ago. I thought the demo was huge but the full game blew me away. It has to be said that Gothic's are not your average finished-in-8-hours games but finishing them will take tens of hours...

Gothic II is an evolutionary step in the series with better graphics, gameplay and features and it's overall a better game than Gothic. G2 continues the story right where G1 left it. Gothic III will continue the hero's ongoing story yet more. It will have a completely new engine.

I'm just very glad that Gothic's exist in this mostly industrialized and soulles PC games world we have today. Sure there are other games with a real soul too but Gothic is the closest to my heart.
SlamDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-04, 11:11 PM   #10
c4c

Excellent RPGs, I loved every minute.

The controls are a tad flaky, especially in Gothic I. Once you adjust it's no problem, though.
c4c is offline   Reply With Quote