Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-15-03, 05:45 PM   #13
k3ant
GeForce 4 420 Go & FX5200

Andy,

You are talking way over my head now! Sorry. I have only been playing with Linux for a year and I have no formal computer training. I'm learning as I go along.

My system is an HP Pavilion 750N which uses an ASUS P4B266-LA motherboard. It uses the Intel 82845 845 (Brokedale) rev 04 PCI/AGPchipset. In the BIOS there is this option "Default Primary Video Adapter - PCI or AGP" When I first bought the system it used a RIVA TNT2 and was set to 'PCI' but when I plugged in the FX5200 card, I reset it to 'AGP'. I didn't know why it was set to 'PCI' in the first place (I still don't!) but it just seemed logical to set it to 'AGP' for the FX5200. Everything worked well so I forgot about it, until today. I reset it back to 'PCI'. Still cannot start X in Debian but all still works in Red Hat.

As for the APGART and NVAGP, I know nothing about either except that they are modules and that I'm using APGART here in Red Hat (lsmod). NVAGP I never heard off so, please, fill me in. How would I invoke NVAGP? And I'm sure I would need to remove AGPART first. I think I know the commands but, again, any and all help is appreciated!

BTW, what's the difference between APGART and NVAGP?

Mike
Old 07-15-03, 08:31 PM   #14
Bjorklund

Quote:
NVAGP I never heard off so, please, fill me in. How would I invoke NVAGP? And I'm sure I would need to remove AGPART first. I think I know the commands but, again, any and all help is appreciated!
This stuff is covered in appendix D of the nVidia Linux readme, which is at ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...363/README.txt

To change from agpart to nvagp, first you have to remove the agpart module (as you guessed). (Maybe you should reboot after disabling that module- I don't think so, but aren't sure). Then you find the line in /etc/.../XF86Config-4 where it says Driver "nvidia". On the next line, you put Option "NvAgp" "0". The zero tells it to disable AGP totally, making the card fairly slow. If this fixes problems, however, then you might consider replacing the 0 with either 1 or 2 to specify nvagp or agpart. Both of those are methods of accessing the AGP bus, written either by nvidia or the linux kernel folks. Depending on your luck, one might work better than the other.

Remember, those options only matter if you're using the "nvidia" drivers. So try installing them and then disabling AGP. Or for a fallback, try replacing the "nv" entry with "vesa" to see if you get at least slow 2-d graphics.
Bjorklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-03, 08:27 AM   #15
k3ant
GeForce 4 420 Go & FX5200

Bjorklund,

Quote:
Remember, those options only matter if you're using the "nvidia" drivers.
This is what I was afraid of. I don't have Debian complete yet so I cannot compile the nvidia module. With this in mind, I just want to get it 'functioning' and once it is I will then go thrue and install what needs to be installed for the 'nvidia' module...

I had tried the 'vesa' module already without luck. Hell, I even tried to use framebuffers and still had no luck. And now I'm at a total loss as to what to try next.

It just doesn't make sense to me - why does the old RIVA TNT2 card work but not the FX5200 since they both use the same 'nv' module? Hmmm...

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-17-03, 10:39 PM   #16
thrall

i had a similar problem, but i have to ask you something wich chipset is using your mobo.?? you said that is a VIA but it is a KT333 or KT400 ?? wich one?

i have a VIA KT400A and AGP 8x the only thig that i did in my XFree86Config-4 was add the line
Option "NvAGP" "3"
so when i boot my system try to use the AGPART and if that fails then uses the NVAGP.

now just work fine
My system is a MSI GeForce4 Mx 440 with AGP 8x VTD (MS - 8888)
MSI KT400A With AGP 8x
512 MB RAM
Athlon XP 2100+
Mandrake 9.0
kernel 2.4.19
thrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-03, 10:40 PM   #17
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Quote:
It just doesn't make sense to me - why does the old RIVA TNT2 card work but not the FX5200 since they both use the same 'nv' module? Hmmm...
The version of "nv" that shipped with your copy of X may not be new enough to support the FX line of cards. If you're not using XFree 4.3.0 or later, than that's almost certainly the case.

--andy
Old 02-02-04, 02:15 AM   #18
Leon Leibbrandt

Hi All

I'm having the same problem. My mobo is an Epox 8rdaen (nforce 2) and my card is an FX5600. I tried a MX440 from a friend and had the same problem. I tried it with "AGP" "0", with and without agpgart and only the nvidia agp module. All to no avail. Only thing that changes was the ASCII garble on screen on X startup. I tried all the command line option I have found in all posiible combination including pci=biosirg, apic=off, noacpi, nolacpi, mem=nopentium. Oh, my system is LFS 5.0 build with 2.4.22 kernel. Interestingly enough even with nolapic the dmesg still has the line local APIC found and enabled. I scratched in the kernel docs and found that nolapic is not an arg anymore, then I looked in the source and disabled this in the code. The apic messages was gone from dmesg but the X startup problem was still solid as an rock. My XFree86.0.log also ends with setting mode to 1024x768. Is there anything that I am missing.

--leon

Last edited by Leon Leibbrandt; 02-02-04 at 05:14 AM.
Leon Leibbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote