Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-18-04, 10:40 AM   #13
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Location: Somewhere in England, waiting for ROTK and drooling over the A64 3000+
Send a message via ICQ to TheOneKEA Send a message via AIM to TheOneKEA Send a message via Yahoo to TheOneKEA

Quote:
Originally posted by volt
I've read of problems with nvnet module, something about not being operational at 100% Have you heard of this?
I haven't heard anything about how well it works. All I've heard about is how difficult it is to get it working in the first place. That's why that long thread appeared that I linked to.

SCREW THE ADS! http://adblock.mozdev.org/
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire - Mozilla Firefox 0.8

Registered Linux User #289618
TheOneKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-04, 03:08 PM   #14
Folber

Default Volt

Could you please tell me how you have done to make your network working (precisely, i'm a newbie)
i have installed the nvidia drivers package on Fedora Core1 only double clicking on the rpm
when I install the ethernet card it said "nvnet module seems to be not present"

thanks a lot
Folber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-04, 04:52 PM   #15
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Location: Somewhere in England, waiting for ROTK and drooling over the A64 3000+
Send a message via ICQ to TheOneKEA Send a message via AIM to TheOneKEA Send a message via Yahoo to TheOneKEA
Question Slightly OT question

On an unrelated note, volt, I have a heavily tweaked Red Hat 9 install with lots of custom package upgrading and XFce installed. I'm an experienced Linux user (5 years and counting) as well. Should I install Fedora Core 1, or is it too n00b-ish for someone like me?

SCREW THE ADS! http://adblock.mozdev.org/
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire - Mozilla Firefox 0.8

Registered Linux User #289618
TheOneKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-04, 05:13 PM   #16
volt

Default Re: Volt

Quote:
Originally posted by Folber
Could you please tell me how you have done to make your network working (precisely, i'm a newbie)
i have installed the nvidia drivers package on Fedora Core1 only double clicking on the rpm
when I install the ethernet card it said "nvnet module seems to be not present"

thanks a lot
I assume you did not upgrade your kernel - though you should to version 2.4.22-2149. YOU MUST HAVE kernel sources installed to do this.

Go into your terminal and type: rpm -qa |grep kernel-source
it should output 1 line with your kernel source version. If it does not, you need to install it.

Anyway, grab NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.tar.gz package.

Go into your terminal and do the following:

1. tar zxfv NVIDIA_nforce*
2. cd NVIDIA_nforce*
3. make
4. make install
5. modprobe nvnet

It should automatically insert it into your kernel. Reboot, let kudzu detect your NIC and configure it.

Report back
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-04, 05:20 PM   #17
volt

Default Re: Slightly OT question

Quote:
Originally posted by TheOneKEA
On an unrelated note, volt, I have a heavily tweaked Red Hat 9 install with lots of custom package upgrading and XFce installed. I'm an experienced Linux user (5 years and counting) as well. Should I install Fedora Core 1, or is it too n00b-ish for someone like me?
I'm no experienced linux user, but I always thought *any* linux distro stands much higher then Windows in terms of configuration level.

I first installed Mandrake around 5 years ago, but I haven't used Linux on daily basis. It was more for fun rather than productivity. I've used a few including Slackware. Recent one was RH9 but I hated it. I thought I would try Fedora - bingo. This is what I wanted for my desktop replacement

FC1 doesn't seem to include a lot of bloated software. It's maintained by the community, there are always updates available..I simply love it

And I'm sure a lot of people would say the same about Gentoo hehe.
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
Old 01-27-04, 10:44 AM   #18
Folber

Default thanks

thank you for your help but it doesn't solve the problem

the command line you give me doesn't work but using uname -r, I know now that my kernel is the following : 2.4.22-1.2113.nptf (what does nptf means?!?)

then I type exactly what you say and I have some error messages :
cc commande introuvable (sorry it's in french, it can be translated by command not found)

nvnet.o error 127

nvnet make error 2

mmm after having looked in the decompressed folder, I don't find the file nvnet.o

please can you help once again? sorry for disturbing you

thanks

Folber
Old 01-27-04, 11:34 AM   #19
volt

We're here to help

Did you install kernel-source? Do you have all development tools/apps installed?

Old 01-27-04, 01:56 PM   #20
Folber

Default mmm

ok, I've reinstall my Core, with all the packages
I have always the same kernel
and now, could you tell me what I have to do please?

thanks

Old 01-30-04, 09:05 AM   #21
Folber

Default volt

please help me
Old 02-02-04, 04:03 PM   #22
HotBBQ

Send a message via AIM to HotBBQ
Question

Hi all. New to forums and quasi new to Linux. I recently installed Fedora Core 1 onto my PC and finally got everything working on the .2115 and .2149 kernel's. I am having difficutlies compiling the nForce drivers for the 2.6.1 kernel. The nvnet driver won't seem to compile due to something wrong in the irq.h file on line 70. I'll have to reboot the computer and get the actual output (dual booting). I've poured over the forums and google and haven't found anything that really helps.

Thanks ahead of time for any help. Text is after computer specs.

Athlon 2100+
ASUS A7N8X
GeForce 4 TI4200
SB Audigy
768MB DDR 2100

make -C nvnet
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/Downloads/nforce/nvnet'
cc -c -Wall -DLINUX -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -D__KERNEL__ -O -Wstrict-prototypes -DCONFIG_PM -fno-strict-aliasing -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -fal ign-functions=4 -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.6.1/build/include nvnet.c
In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.1/build/include/linux/irq.h:20,
from /lib/modules/2.6.1/build/include/asm/hardirq.h:6,
from /lib/modules/2.6.1/build/include/linux/interrupt.h:11,
from nvnet.h:30,
from nvnet.c:21:
/lib/modules/2.6.1/build/include/asm/irq.h:16:25: irq_vectors.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.1/build/include/asm/hardirq.h:6,
/lib/modules/2.6.1/build/include/linux/irq.h:70: error: `NR_IRQS' undeclared her e (not in a function)
In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.1/build/include/linux/irq.h:72,
from /lib/modules/2.6.1/build/include/asm/hardirq.h:6,
/lib/modules/2.6.1/build/include/asm/hw_irq.h:28: error: `NR_IRQ_VECTORS' undecl ared here (not in a function)
/lib/modules/2.6.1/build/include/asm/hw_irq.h:31: error: `NR_IRQS' undeclared he re (not in a function)
nvnet.c: In function `nvnet_open':
nvnet.c:735: warning: passing arg 2 of `request_irq' from incompatible pointer t ype
nvnet.c: In function `nvnet_remove':
nvnet.c:1248: error: structure has no member named `driver_data'
make[1]: *** [nvnet.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/Downloads/nforce/nvnet'
make: *** [nvnet_make] Error 2

Last edited by HotBBQ; 02-02-04 at 04:28 PM.
HotBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote