Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-01-04, 12:18 PM   #1
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick
Default First Windows 98 Experince in Many Years

My friend has an old 350mhz pII that his parents use, and they filled it up with spyware so he asked me if id reinstall windows so the computer is useable again (it took 7 minuets to load windows 98)

So i reformatted, then installed windows 98.

So far so good, it just takes an long time doing its dumb windows 98 'beating the drum' animation.

So it loads up, with the ATi Rage IIc drivers and Sound drivers installed (its an oem packed install)

So next thing i need to do is install network drivers for a popular Nic the Linksys LNE100TX, so i have a current driver disk made and copy the files to the hard drive under C:/linksys/

So i use the device manager, and it asks's for where the drivers are, i point it to C:/linksys/win98/ and it starts to chug, then in Windows 9x Series Greatness, it asked where is file XXX, witch was ovioulsy in the same directroy of C:/linksys/win98/, then it proceded to do that a few more times (hooray for windows 9x series)

Ok, so all Windows 98 now needs is a reboot! So after the reboot, i decide that i wanted it to have a static ip, so what dose windows have to do? Of course reboot again.

Well ok, thats taken care of, now since windows 98 comes packed with IE 4.0, it needed an upgrade. And since his parents have a habit of installing spyware that comes in 'active x form' IE was just simply out of the question, off to Install Mozilla FireBird!

So i open up IE 4, and type in http://www.mozilla.org/firebird/ and what happens next?

A Solid Blue Screen Of Death, i thought wtf, so i rebooted and then fired up mozilla.org. it was fine, then i clicked on the link to firebird, same BSOD. So i was just like, ok, ill just install mozilla (it was 1am and i just wanted to get done) i downloaded and installed, and to my amazement mozilla woudlnt run. So i uninstalled it, and upadted to IE 6.0 sp1, ok, so now i can go to http://www.mozilla.org/firebird/ with out crashing, i download firebird, and it works perfectly.

After that experince, my god i dont see how anyone would ever use Windows 9x.

Its the gay!
Old 02-02-04, 09:17 AM   #2
PenguinJim

Default Re: First Windows 98 Experince in Many Years

Quote:
Originally posted by GlowStick
Its the gay!
As in, it keeps you up all night?

(Sorry )
PenguinJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-04, 04:10 PM   #3
GlowStick