Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-20-03, 12:51 PM   #25
psiegel

Another interesting point I've discovered:

This only works when the nVidia driver is built against the non-SMP version of my kernel. When I try to install it for the SMP version, it not only fails, it makes the non-SMP version stop working until I reinstall under that kernel.

Fascinating. I'm not really sure why I might want to use the SMP version of the kernel. As far as I know, that's for multi-processor machines, which mine clearly isn't. So I'm happy to stick with the non-SMP version. Again, just thought I'd post my findings in case they're helpful to someone else.

Paul
psiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-04, 01:35 PM   #26
jonnyU

Default Did you get hardware acceleration working?

Did you ever get hardware acceleration working? Any luck with the newer drivers? I am a newbie (area51-m with 5600Go) and have yet to get anything to work, but I'm trying and wondering what is possible.
jonnyU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-04, 01:47 PM   #27
psiegel

Yeah, I pretty much got it working. There are a few oddities. I think I get better performance with my Windows XP boot, but I have no solid stats to back that. I have also noticed the keyboard can occaisonally be unresponsive (missing key strokes) but not often enough for me to really try and figure out what was going wrong.

I upgraded to the newer drivers, but I haven't noticed any significant change from the previous version. But like I said, everything's been working well enough for me to not want to muck with it anymore.

So are you having a specific problem? What flavor of linux are you running? Which kernel?

Paul
Old 02-02-04, 02:27 PM   #28
jonnyU

Default alienware 51-m 16.1" screen 5600 Go

I am using RedHat 9.0 with the 2.4.20.8 kernel.

I have installed the 5336 driver.

I copied the XF86Config from http://www.sonnentag.us/index.php?mo...N_position=4:4 and tried to get modelines to work with my 16.1" (1600 x 1200 max) screen.

With this setup, it will boot into X at 1280 x 1024 but the screen is corrupted and the input devices don't work.

Since you have almost the same hardware (except for the screen, right?), can you post your XF86Config (-4) and maybe it will just work?

Thanks.

Alienware Area 51-m (new model)
2.8 GHz P4
1GB RAM
GeForceFX 5600 Go
16.1" Screen 1600 x 1200
jonnyU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-04, 10:26 AM   #29
psiegel

Ok, I'll attach my XF86Config-4 file, but I warn you that you won't be able to just use it. You're running RH9 which I think still runs a 3.something version of XFree86, and thus uses the old XF86Config not the newer XF86Config-4.

I can point out some problems you might have using the XF86Config file you linked to. First of all, as mentioned earlier in this thread, get rid of this entire section:

Section "DRI"
Group 0
Mode 0666
EndSection

Also, if you've got the 16.1" screen and not the 15.4" screen, you're in a 4:3 aspect ratio, not 16:10. So you can get rid of the entire "Modes" section (and the UseModes "16:10" line).

You'll want to fix the HorizSync and VertRefresh values in the Monitor section to the appropriate values for your screen. I know for the 15.4" screen the are "30.0-61.0" for the Horiz and "50-75" for the Vert. They might be different for the 16.1" screen. I got the values by calling Alienware tech support and demanding the vertical and horizontal refresh rates, expressed in kHz and Hz respectively. It took some doing to convince the first person I talked to that I knew what I was talking about and he did not before I got handed to someone who did understand what I was looking for. Be careful with these values, I believe it's theoretically possible to damage your display with the wrong values. This may not really be true for newer hardware, but better safe than sorry, right? It's not like you can go buy a new monitor for these things. Anyway, I suggest you call tech support and make sure you have the right numbers.

You'll also want to change the Mode values in the Subsection "Display" portion. What's listed on the site you posted are all 16:10 ratio settings, which you won't have on the standard 4:3 ratio screen. Change them to look like this:

Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

Finally, to get the mice working, you'll want to find out where your mice are mounted in the /dev tree. The could be in many different places like:

/dev/mouse
/dev/usbmouse
/dev/psaux
/dev/input/mouse0
/dev/input/mouse1

Try using the cat command on each of these files and then moving the mouse around. If it's the right file, you'll see a bunch of characters appear on the screen. Press Ctrl-C to quit out. Then change the Device setting the Section "InputDevice" to the file you found to work.

I hope all this helps. Oh, and attached is my XF86Config-4 file.

Paul
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config-4.txt (3.5 KB, 125 views)