Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-22-04, 10:19 AM   #13
geowiz

Default Starting again

Well, lets take this one step at a time.

1) When you did uname -r, you got 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl which is the kernel version. You need to get the kernel source that matches this. The kernel source you installed is 2.4.20-9 which is not the same. So, download and install the kernel-source-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl rpm. (Note that the 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl kernel is a couple of releases old).

2) Since you downloaded the nforce-1.0-0261.tar.gz forget about the NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.rh90up_2.4.20_9.athlon.rpm rpm file because it is an old rpm that does not match your current kernel. Extract the source code from the tar.gz file into a directory using
tar -xvzf NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.tar.gz

Then cd (change directory) to the nvnet source directory
cd nforce/nvnet

Then type in the commands as root
make clean
make
make install

Assuming that you have the current development tools installed and things have gone right, the nvnet module should be built and installed for your current kernel. You can check that it is there by:
ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/nvnet.o
If it is found, the nvnet kernel driver is there for use.

3) Make sure that the entry is made in the /etc/modules.conf file with the command as root:
grep nvnet /etc/modules.conf
If the output is "alias eth0 nvnet" good, otherwise edit that info into the /etc/modules.conf file.

4) Now the easiest way to proceed (for a newbe) is to reboot the box into Linux. This is not necessary but does check that the nvnet module will be loaded when the computer is booted and inserts it into the running kernel.

5) Configure your networking with the tool of your choice. e.g. System Tools -> Network Device Control or redhat-config-network.

If you update the kernel in the future, just keep the kernel, kernel-source updated together and go to the nforce/nvnet directory. Do the 3 make commands and you are up and running.

Hope this helps .... someone at least

Geowiz
geowiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-04, 04:42 PM   #14
Ge|atinousFury

Thanks geowiz, I now have the internet working on Fedora!! Awesome!!
Ge|atinousFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-04, 05:56 PM   #15
geowiz

Cool Happy happy joy joy

Glad you got it going.

Cheers
Old 02-11-04, 01:45 AM   #16
syanpse

Default same problem as cyber fly and je|atinous

I am trying to get my onboard network going on rh90 and have come to a point where I am out of ideas . Hopefully someone here can help me with the following:

> uname -r
2.4.20-8

I have done:

> rpm -ivh kernel-source-2.4.20-8.i386.rpm

and then downloaded and unpacked the NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.tar.gz source package.

in the source dir I try to compile and I get errors:

> make
cc -c -Wall ... -I/lib/models/2.4.20-8/build/include -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/build/include/linux/modversions.h nvnet.c
In file included from ...,/prefetch.h:13...from nvnet.c:21:
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/build/include/asm/processor.h:60: field `loops_per_jiffy_R_ver_str' declared as a function
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/build/include/asm/processor.h:82: invalid suffix on integer constant
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/build/include/asm/processor.h:82: parse error before numeric constant

... more compile errors in module.h ...

Any help would be greatly appreciated
syanpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-04, 10:38 AM   #17
geowiz

Not sure - best guess is that the kernel source has not been configured. (proper .config file and a make dep )

You might also read the following thread - they had problems with 2.4.20-8 and upgraded kernel and kernel source and got it to build correctly.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=15071
Old 02-11-04, 01:23 PM   #18
dnoyeB

did you build your kernel yourself? I have never gotten any nvidia drivers to work without resourting to building the kernel from the kernel source, then building the nvidia drivers.

I know there is a way around this, but I have yet to committ it to memory.

also did you run an md5sum on your drivers to ensure they downloaded ok?

try make clean.