Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-29-04, 08:27 AM   #13
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

Quote:
Originally posted by D.K.Tronics
And there's far more documented detailed N64 hardware, out there, than any of these Model 2/3 boards.
..and thats mainly because of the fact there was a massive scene for finding that kind of information circa 1998 which shows.. enthusiasm

I'll admit arcades are a bit rarer than n64s but their documentation is just as secret, if not more so.
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-04, 11:17 AM   #14
fivefeet8
Ngemu Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by sytaylor
The point i was making was that in the 10 years since their release they haven't been emulated anywhere near the level of the n64.. sure they show a few frames but in that amount of ttime for development i'd have wanted more, but i guess there just isnt the enthusiasm in arcade emulation..
Yeah. I agree. Just like the Sega Saturn emulation scene. It's probably one of the harder console systems to emulate, but it's taken quite a long time to even get Saturn emulation to it's current state with some emulators that are running games. Mostly buggy though, but a lot better than before.

It's funny, but it actually took SEGA to finally make it's own Sega Saturn emulator that runs many saturn games almost perfectly. It's commercial though, and only available in japan. I really had hoped they'd release it here, but..... I digress.

Arcade emulation has always been ahead of console emulation until recently with the new PSx/N64 emulators. Look at mame, it emulates over 2000+ arcade games from the very early arcades to some of the current arcade games. Mame recently has emulated the arcade versions of Tekken3, Tekken2, Soul Blade, and Soul Calibur(bad rom dump). And lets not forget NEoGeo game which is emulated today almost perfectly. In fact, any neogeo game that comes out right now in the arcades using the NeoGeo/MVS hardware is able to run on Neogeo emulators if they get dumped. Look at SNK vs Capcom, KOF2k2, Metal Slug 5. These recently arcade released games are already playable via emulators perfectly after being dumped. ARcade emulation hasn't been slow with 2d arcade games.

I think what's slowing down arcade emulation is the advent of 3d arcade hardware. But the same could be said about current console hardware. There is going to be a leap in 3d arcade emulation in a few months though. With the release of the next and final version of zinc(system11, system12, system22, capcom zn-1 zn-2, hardware accelerated arcade emulator).
[i7 2600k @4.4ghertz][2x4 GB DDR3 1600][EVGA GTX570 1.280GB SC][EVGA GTX460 physx][Asrock Extreme7 Gen3 Z68][2xSeagate 160 Gb SATA HD raid0][Seagate 250 GB SATA2 HD][Sony Bravia 40' 1080p LCD HDTV][NEC 3520a DVD+-DLw][Windows 7 Ultimate x64][Rosewill 1000w]
fivefeet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-04, 03:03 AM   #15
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

sorry to grave dig but i thought this was worth mention

http://www.system16.com/model3/

now with an FPS counter.. the longer they go without releasing this thing the more i want it..

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
Old 02-05-04, 01:13 PM   #16
NickSpolec

I need me some Scud Race and Daytona 2.

[size=1][list][*]AthlonXP Mobile 2500+ (@2.5ghz, 1.850v)[*]Albatron KX18D PRO (NForce 2 Ultra @227FSB)[*]512MB's OCZ Platinum PC3200 EL (@DDR454, CAS 2.5, 6,3,3)[*]GeForce3 (@230c, 460m)[*]Fortissimo III, Gamesurround 7.1[*]POS Intel 56k Modem (soon to get high speed, though)[*]Maxtor DiamondPlus 9 120GB, ATA133 (8mb)[*]Samsung DVD/CD-RW Combo (52x32x52x16x)[*]Lite-On LTR 16102B (16x8x40x)

[/size][/list]
NickSpolec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-04, 02:22 AM   #17
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

Will sell blood or body organs..

You have been warned.
My Blog
Old 02-09-04, 06:33 PM   #18
intania

Smile

Too bad. The Guru still don't have the daytona 2 board to dump the rom.

http://unemulated.emuunlim.com/m3status/
intania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-04, 06:55 PM   #19
Edge
3d animator for hire!

OMG! They actually have the Lost World rom dump! Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy! Now if only they'd dump LA Machineguns and Daytona 2 we could all be happy

Emulator doesn't look too bad, either. It's missing some textures and there's quite a few graphic anomalies, but very impressive given the task and resources. I wish them the best of luck...just wish I could donate something to them...
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-04, 12:57 AM   #20
NickSpolec

Another update to the site, showing some great progress. I wonder what type of hardware the author is running.

[size=1][list][*]AthlonXP Mobile 2500+ (@2.5ghz, 1.850v)[*]Albatron KX18D PRO (NForce 2 Ultra @227FSB)[*]512MB's OCZ Platinum PC3200 EL (@DDR454, CAS 2.5, 6,3,3)[*]GeForce3 (@230c, 460m)[*]Fortissimo III, Gamesurround 7.1[*]POS Intel 56k Modem (soon to get high speed, though)[*]Maxtor DiamondPlus 9 120GB, ATA133 (8mb)[*]Samsung DVD/CD-RW Combo (52x32x52x16x)[*]Lite-On LTR 16102B (16x8x40x)

[/size][/list]
NickSpolec is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-04, 02:07 AM   #21
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

Yeah, he's getting 15 to 20fps.. which if he has a top end machine means this thing could be a few years away. That, or theres a lot of optimisation to do, but there is no way of telling with the types of updates they are giving.

You have been warned.
My Blog
Old 02-12-04, 03:11 AM   #22
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Well, at least it certainly seems within the realm of playable. Also it's nice to see that the framerate is pretty consistent (only going between 15 and 24 FPS or so), though I'm wondering if that means there's a lot of extra optimisation to be done, since even on the 2d course selection screen it's only getting 24 FPS. The graphics are still buggy, but it's nice to see that it works with a variety of games. I wonder though...is it even using 3d acceleration? That could certainly atribute to the low framerate. I'm not sure of the technical specs of the M3, but I do remember that it had this wierd way of drawing quad-point polygons that's apperently almost impossible to replicate with a 3d card (they had to rebuild VF3 for the Dreamcast because they couldn't get it to render quad-polygons). Depends on their implimentation of it though. Wouldn't it be impressive if he was running it on a 1 ghz computer with a TNT2 though
Well, probably not, but I can hope that my 1.4 ghz will run it

Edit: Haha, and what do you know, he's only on a 56k. Fear the power of the 56ker
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote