Old 02-25-04, 02:56 PM   #1
tiber

Default Mandrake 9.2+Nvidia 5200+binutils@#$%^+a migraine= No install love

environment:
dell 2350
nvidia 5200 pci
mandrake 9.2+2.4 kernel+updates to existing system

Ok,

I've seen this situation posted ad-nauseum on here while trying to get this running, but something is eluding me. It's not the first time.

I've had the installer ask me for binutils, so I've gone and installed the "two" packages to satisfy this... libbinutils2 and binutils. In reading another thread here, I saw someone suggest running "ldconfig". I thought this sounded like a good idea and tried it, but the result was the same.

I guess my question is, if Mandrake says I have binutils installed but nvidia cant see it, how do I help nvidia find it... so I can get past this driver crap and get on with my life.

This whole scenario kinds of gives one a new perspective when they read about linux being a "viable alternative" on the desktop, don't you think?
Wait... there I go bitching about something that's free again.

Thanks in advance.
tiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-04, 03:09 PM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

The NVIDIA installer needs ld, the GNU linker; if Mandrake's binutils package doesn't ship it, it's broken (I seriously doubt that).
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-04, 03:12 PM   #3
tiber

Quote:
The NVIDIA installer needs ld, the GNU linker; if Mandrake's binutils package doesn't ship it, it's broken (I seriously doubt that).
I know that is what it is asking me for, but if I've installed it correctly (via urpmi) it still does not make it's presence known to the nvidia installer. So I guess my question is more specifically - assuming the binutils package installed correctly, how do I define the path/location of "ld" so nvidia is happy?

edit -- also, ldconfig seemed to do something , so I can only assume Mandrake is satisfied it's there.
tiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-04, 03:18 PM   #4
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

The nvidia-installer application looks for ld in your PATH; ld is commonly installed in /usr/bin.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-04, 05:57 AM   #5
ballock

Dunno if this helps but i went thru all that with mandrake til i discovered that the kernel isnt included on the cd - once i downloaded and installed the kernel the nvidia drivers installed no problem. Maybe you sussed that out already but just in case
ballock is offline   Reply With Quote