Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-28-04, 08:09 AM   #1
BLIND SNIPER

Default Kernel help

Hello. I am a new linux user and am wondering how to find out what kernel i have. the reason i ask this is that i cannot install the ia32 drivers because of kernel errors. is there anything i can download to help this? i upgraded my kernel(i think) to 2.6.3 but still no luck. any ideas?
BLIND SNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-04, 06:50 AM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

You can find out which kernel you are using by the following command, it displays the exact kernel version:
uname -r

You will need to install and configure the source code for that kernel, the exact one you're running, for the driver to completely install. Install the source, then if you have not compiled that source yet, you cd into the source directory and run these commands:
make clean
make mrproper

Then install the driver. When it asks if it can attempt to compile a module for you, the answer is yes.
Old 03-01-04, 10:30 PM   #3
BLIND SNIPER

Default hmmm

k i found out what i'm running and all that good stuff. but i can't find the source for my kernel. it should be here right? i checked /usr/src but nothing is in there. i'm using college linux which i think is slackware 9 compatible. i'm just so lost right now. linux is so new to me. in time i think i will understand. for now....keep on tellin me what to do
BLIND SNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-04, 10:49 PM   #4
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

The source code should be found in /usr/src/linux-2.4 or in /usr/src/linux-<versionnumber>
<versionnumber> of course is the current version you have running.

See the College Linux distro's website for instructions in finding and downloading / installing your kernel source. I could work you through that.. but posting here is rather slow when you could go read and probably get yourself there. If you need a hand identifying which source to install, tell me which kernel you're using, exactly, and what your computer is (athlon / pentium).

If you installed from cds, and have not updated your kernel since then, the source code is probably on the cd. If you've updated, then you'll have to download it.