Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-29-04, 08:05 PM   #1
OC eobard

Default NVClock

I installed NVClock and it works but I'm wondering the best way to automate it so it "self launches" at every startup. I know my way around computers well enough but I've got limited experience with Linux. Anyone?
OC eobard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-04, 09:51 AM   #2
Thunderbird

I don't recommend launching nvclock at startup. The problem is that the nvidia drivers (mainly the kernel module) can do strange things in the case you launch nvclock before loading the kernel module. I have seen cases where the memory speeds gets reset. Another thing you might see is that changing both speeds at the same time (on startup) can cause strange problems. (haven't figured that one out yet) So if you choose to launch nvclock at startup launch nvclock twice one time for gpu and one time for memory and also check what the nvidia driver does to the speeds. (mainly during kernel module loading and the first start of X).
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-04, 09:04 PM   #3
SnapIT

Quote:
Originally posted by Thunderbird
I don't recommend launching nvclock at startup. The problem is that the nvidia drivers (mainly the kernel module) can do strange things in the case you launch nvclock before loading the kernel module. I have seen cases where the memory speeds gets reset. Another thing you might see is that changing both speeds at the same time (on startup) can cause strange problems. (haven't figured that one out yet) So if you choose to launch nvclock at startup launch nvclock twice one time for gpu and one time for memory and also check what the nvidia driver does to the speeds. (mainly during kernel module loading and the first start of X).
Ehh... if you use a startup script it will launch after the module...

Which scripts to use? Depends on your distro, some, like Slack uses BSD startup scripts, most others uses sysV...

I have used nvclock on several Slack and *BSD systems without any hickups what so ever...

So, what distro?
SnapIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-04, 10:05 PM   #4
floam

If I have the nvidia driver load at boot, and then run nvclock before XFree starts, my memory settings still get reset. If you really want it to be automatic you can stick it in your xinitrc.
floam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-04, 12:34 AM   #5
OC eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by SnapIT

So, what distro?
I'm using Mandrake 9.2
OC eobard is offline   Reply With Quote