Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-02-04, 03:50 PM   #73
jbirney

Quote:
I shouldnt worry, im assuming that the PS 1.1 is either a driver glitch, done on purpose because they are still working on PS2.0 for the FX and dont want to give 'unfair' performance results... or maybe they have forced 1.1 until NVIDIA have a chance to optimize for it in the next driver revision?
I agree that its way too early to tell how the cards will run once the game ships. However there is a growing trend being set forth about how to handle the FX. John R told us how many developers are treating all FX cards as DX8 cards. You have Gabe from Value that says the same thing. As well as JohnC. As well as smaller developers: http://discuss.microsoft.com/SCRIPTS...1&F=&S=&P=7149

Quote:
Yeah, I find the NVidia FX architecture a complete mystery. I just
don't know how to make sutff run well on it and probably will just treat
it as a DX8 class part. I can't have my framerates just tank on these
high-end cards... they might be pissed that the effects are retro, but
they simply won't accept framerates that bottom out.

-- David
Deano Calver, ect.

All of the synthetics have show PS2.0 to run slower on the FX cards even after the legit optimizations. ATI just has better PS2.0 ATM.

Quote:
I dont think any conclusions from FORCING PS2.0 can be drawn, i mean lets give them the benfit of the doubt that its just a glitch/bug/driver issue.

Anyway, just a matter of time and im sure it will look just as good on both GPU's.
Yeap I agree. We have no idea what else is happening when you force PS2.0 on the FX. And it will rock on either card.

Quote:
*edit*
Actually regarding PS2.0 on the FX, if it is doing FP32 then it really isnt fair comparing it to ATI's card doing it at FP24.... i know everyone says taht but it is true really.
NV did not follow the spec as there is no 24 bit mode on the FX. Yes there is a 32 bit mode but the spec does not call for that. While its not "fair" to compare 24 bit to 32 bit you really dont have any other choice.
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-04, 07:19 PM   #74
OWA

I finally got the trick to work but I had to go back to the 53.03 drivers to do so. With the 56.55s and 56.56s I would just get a solid color in the caves. Once I went back to the 53.03s, the trick worked when I loaded the cave and I finally got a screenshot. Yay me.

<removed due to bandwidth restrictions>
http://members.cox.net/owa_nyx/nvcave_01ps2.jpg

Last edited by OWA; 03-08-04 at 09:04 PM.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-04, 08:31 AM   #75
jbirney

dang OWA your just a FarCry Screen shot machine
Old 03-03-04, 11:44 AM   #76
OWA

Yeah, I think I'm done with that now though. Not sure what got into me. I think I was just excited to have activated my webspace and actually had something I could use it for.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-04, 12:50 PM   #77
jbirney

Quote:
Originally posted by OWA
Yeah, I think I'm done with that now though. Not sure what got into me. I think I was just excited to have activated my webspace and actually had something I could use it for.
Ohhhh No your not. With other the other games due out this year, your are expected to treat them with the same degree of "Screen-Shoted-ness" as you did FarCry
Old 03-03-04, 05:16 PM   #78
Skinner

Well I find the ps2 (shiny) reflections awesome, but you have to be very carefull where to use them.
*Intel i7@3,8gHz*Asus P6T Deluxe* 2x Sapphire HD7970 3GB Crossfire *6 GB Corsair Dominator 1600C8*OCZ Vertex 120 GB SSD*adaptec 19160U160*Intel X25 80 GB Quantum Atlas 15KII SCSI U160 147Gig* WD Raptor 300 GB*Apple 24" LED Cinema *X-Fi Titanium*Logitech Z5500*Coolmaster RP 1000W*W7 64 Home *
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote