Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-13-04, 08:09 AM   #1
lonewolf

Question Monitor back to factory default when starting X, using 5336 on a 5900XT

Hello.
First of all, please excuse me for my _bad_ english. I'll try to be the clearest I can.

I used a TI200 since thursday and the nvidia driver 4496 (Xfree 4.1, Debian 3.0r2) works perfectly. Since this is an old card, I've bought a FX5900XT to have better game performance. At this occasion, I've updated kernel (2.4.21->2.4.25), Xfree (debian security update) and nvidia driver (5336) (note that the nv driver don't work with 5900XT, I can't use it)

The first starting of X (yesterday) seems good, but suprisingly, I didn't see the nvidia splash screen. Moreover, the monitor did a degauss without notice, at starting... But the today starting is far worst, since I've got a blank screen at starting, with the monitor ON (green light instead of ambre light - energy save state).
I've done a ctrl alt backspace, nothing, crtl alt supp, the computer seems to be rebooting... SCSI devices initialising (see at CD burner init) but still no picture at screen. I had shutdown the computer and the monitor still stay ON (with no signal, monitor usually switch energy save mode).
I'd shutdown the monitor, turn back on, init seems OK, and switching energy save state. Launch the computer and OH! The monitor did a factory reset.

The launching of X works, but still no splash screen and a degauss at start.

I've read the /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README file, and I didn't see anything related with the problem, nor the nvnews forums. No BIOS special feature actived.

Reset factory default is painfull, and if I need to set monitor each X start... unlucky ;_;
And I'm worried about degaussing at X starting, is this can damage my monitor? (note the monitor degauss automatically at turn on)

Any clue?

Here comes my hardware:
GA-7VAXP Ultra (KT400)
FX 5900XT MSI
Debian 3.0r2 running a vanilla 2.4.25
Xfree 4.1 (debian)
Latest nvidia driver 5336
Monitor Mitsubishi 930SB
Run the optimal 1280*1024@85 resolution
NVIDIA AGP module actived, but AGPART module is compiled (but not loaded), available if needed.

proc info:
Umichan:/proc/driver/nvidia# cat version
NVRM version: NVIDIA Linux x86 NVIDIA Kernel Module 1.0-5336 Wed Jan 14 18:29:26 PST 2004
GCC version: gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)
Umichan:/proc/driver/nvidia# cat cards/0
Model: GeForce FX 5900XT
IRQ: 16
Video BIOS: 04.35.20.38.00
Card Type: AGP
Umichan:/proc/driver/nvidia# cat agp/status
Driver: NVIDIA
AGP Rate: 8x
Fast Writes: Disabled
SBA: Enabled
Umichan:/proc/driver/nvidia# cat agp/host-bridge
Host Bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8377 [KT400 AGP] Host Bridge
Fast Writes: Supported
SBA: Supported
AGP Rates: 8x 4x
Registers: 0x1f000a1b:0x1f000b02
Umichan:/proc/driver/nvidia# cat agp/card
Fast Writes: Supported
SBA: Supported
AGP Rates: 8x 4x
Registers: 0x1f000e1b:0x1f000302

xdpyinfo relevant information:
name of display: :0.0
version number: 11.0
vendor string: The XFree86 Project, Inc
vendor release number: 40100001
XFree86 version: 4.1.0.1
maximum request size: 4194300 bytes
motion buffer size: 256
bitmap unit, bit order, padding: 32, LSBFirst, 32
image byte order: LSBFirst
number of supported pixmap formats: 7
supported pixmap formats:
depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
depth 4, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
depth 15, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
depth 16, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
depth 24, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
depth 32, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
keycode range: minimum 8, maximum 255
focus: window 0x240000e, revert to Parent
number of extensions: 27
BIG-REQUESTS
DOUBLE-BUFFER
DPMS
Extended-Visual-Information
FontCache
GLX
LBX
MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
MIT-SHM
MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
NV-CONTROL
NV-GLX
RENDER
SECURITY
SHAPE
SYNC
TOG-CUP
XC-APPGROUP
XC-MISC
XFree86-Bigfont
XFree86-Misc
XFree86-VidModeExtension
XInputExtension
XKEYBOARD
XTEST
XVideo
XVideo-MotionCompensation
default screen number: 0
number of screens: 1

I've noticed the missing of NVIDIA-GLX extention, is this may be a clue? (on the README, I've learned we must have NVIDIA-GLX,GLX and NV-GLX)

the attached file show the XF86Config file and the /var/log/XFree86.0.log. Please do not consider the wacom messages (ttySX port mismatch, the XF86Config file is already altered to match)

Note: I have a dual boot XP/Linux, and I don't have such a problem with the 53.03 under XP (degauss nor blank screen - everything runs smoth under XP)

Thanks in advance.

LW
Attached Files
File Type: log data.log (39.2 KB, 151 views)
lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-04, 09:33 AM   #2
lonewolf

How insane I am...

I've checked everything and found DRI support have been enabled in my kernel, which automatically loads agpart... which probably conflict (with no error though) with nvidia module.

Since the issue (lack of splach screen, degauss) may be usefull, I leave this idiot thread for futher reference (if someone have the same problems)

Sorry for the disturbance.

LW
Old 03-16-04, 06:41 AM   #3
lonewolf

Ok this time, I get puzzled.

The DRI support is disabled, and I've just got the same problem: black screen, need to reboot and factory reset. It makes twice since friday.

I have doing some SFTW stuff and found nothing relevant to my problem, searching README and monitor FAQ.

Anyway, I've heard some friends experiencing degauss probleme with nvidia cards, do you have some clue about that? He had a Geforce 2 GTS Pro and a mitsubishi monitor, and since he changed for a ATI card, no problem at all.

One more weird thing: If the thing goes "not so bad", the splash screen is displayed but all deformed, and then, got the X screen. With my TI200, I hadn't such a problem, the splash screen seems to be the same resolution than X. Moreover, The splash screen is displayed with no degauss, but deformed, and I got a degauss, and got X.
And this is exactly the same thing with windows XP. I got a XP boot up (ok) and when turn on 1280*1024 resolution, it's all deformed, got a degauss, and got something fine.

Is someone here already experienced such a thing? I wonder if my monitor can be damaged by such degauss and factory resets...

LW