Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-22-04, 07:23 PM   #1
davecs

Default Everything freezes using nvidia driver, okay with nv driver

I am using Gentoo 1.4, was using kernel 2.4.20-r8, but upgraded to 2.4.22-r5. I had to recompile in order to install ALSA, (had to change soundcore to a module and get rid of trident OSS support, so thought I'd use the newer kernel-source). Whilst there I also corrected a DMA error.

Now when I load up the nvidia driver, I get a freeze just after the KDE 3.2 desktop comes up. It never happened before.

What happens is that the keyboard and mouse buttons stop responding, so the Ctrl-Alt-F1 does not get me to a text screen, and Alt-SysRq does not work either. The screen stops functioning, except that the mouse pointer still moves across it. I should also say that I was running KDE3.2 before the recompile and also that this problem occurred before I set up the ALSA system.

I have tried removing DRI and rivafb (Riva Framebuffer support) from the kernel, I have added "pci=bios noapic acpi=off" to the append line in lilo, all to no avail.

My actual setup is that I have an 64Mb generic nvidia Geforce 4/MX440 plugged into a PC-Chips M810 motherboard, with an Athlon XP2000+ processor and 512Mb RAM.

Using the "nv" driver provided with linux works perfectly, but means of course that I cannot run programs that use GL, (including Emilia-Pinball, my favourite!).

Is anyone aware of any modules to avoid? Any help would be appreciated.

Do I need "agpgart" either compiled or as a module? And given that my mobo has a SiS chipset but an nVidia graphics card, should I have SiS support for AGP or nVidia support for AGP compiled in, or both, or neither?

Last edited by davecs; 02-22-04 at 07:49 PM.
davecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-04, 08:56 PM   #2
Neutro

Quote:
What happens is that the keyboard and mouse buttons stop responding, so the Ctrl-Alt-F1 does not get me to a text screen, and Alt-SysRq does not work either. The screen stops functioning, except that the mouse pointer still moves across it.
If you spend some time searching this board, you'll see that this particular bug (screen frozen, but mouse pointer moves) is mentionned a few times, by me and others. I predict that this thread will be filled by reports of the same, or similar events and that's all (well I certainly hope this will go further this time).

It plagues me since more than a year, beginning when I was using Mandrake 8.something with the 2960 drivers, with a variable frequency. I tried different kernels (stock Mandrake 8.2, 9.0, 9.1, and just compiled my own) and all the driver releases since 2960 (namely 3123, 4191, 4349, 4496, 4620 and now 5336 -- 5328 didn't work for me because of the VIA chipset bug).

So what can I do now except describing what happens for me? It's slightly different from you as the freeze is not automatic. I'm using KDE 3.1.0 though.

The hardware:
Asus A7V266-E, Athlon XP 1800+, 512 MB DDR, GF2 MX400 64 MB

The bug:

There's two flavor of the bug:

- Mozilla: when using Mozilla, typically while scrolling or typing in a form like right now, the video would freeze except for the mouse pointer still moving; the sound would continue. Runnging top in batch mode during a freeze told me that when that happens, X is running at 98% of CPU but mozilla is not stopped. Impossible to change VC's; in the past, only alt-sysrq-S/U/B would get me out of there, but since 4620 and 5336, I can alt-sysrq-K (kill current VC). I can reproduce the bug in Firefox 0.8: just scroll a page up and down for a few seconds and the freeze occurs. The folks at bugzilla.mozilla.org says the problem is with nvidia, of course. Using "nv" instead of "nvidia" works well and does not cause the freeze.

- Quake 3, ut2004demo: rarely in q3 but often in ut2004, the video would freeze, sound would loop, and that's it. Sometimes the freeze seems deeper as alt-sysrq-K or even S/U/B takes a long time to take effect or just doesn't work. Top in batch mode also reveals that X is running amok with 70-90% of the CPU. Interesting thing is that this only happens when playing online: I never managed to freeze Quake or ut2004demo offline.

NVIDIA folks: I managed to strace Mozilla, Firefox and ut2004demo (with the -o -ff options, so that I have megs of output in files with names according to process ID) while interrupted during the freeze by a SAK (alt-sysrq-K). I can't tell much myself from them but I can send bz2's if wanted.

In both bug flavors, nothing appears in /var/log/messages, except when freezing Firefox: I always get the following error:
Quote:
kernel: request_module[net-pf-10]: fork failed, errno 1
I tried putting "alias net-pf-10 off" in /etc/modules.conf but I still get the freeze and the error.

EDIT: and I also use the same kernel parameters as you, namely noapic and acpi=off; I tried all the values for Option "NvAGP" too. I also forgot to add: none of this happens under Windows. Does this exclude any hardware problem?

Last edited by Neutro; 02-22-04 at 09:33 PM.
Neutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-04, 09:06 AM   #3
davecs

I have downgraded running kernel back to 2.4.20-r8 and everything works OK again, except for Power Off at the end of my session, which is probably because of noapic or acpi=off or something.

I'll try and sort something out but at least I can live with it.

As for my Windows partition, I have discovered that Win98SE does not seem to like my card plugged into my mobo, in 1280x1024 mode, but as I have a 17" LCD monitor, native 1280x1024, then the next two down look 'orrible, and I am not prepared to drop to 800x600!

I used to have this mobo on its own, and fell back to it when a more recent system died. As I remember, I could get 3D experimental support for SiS graphics in XFree 3.2, and it was fine, but it was dropped from 3.3 for some reason. Anyway, a graphics card plugged in should be better!

I think I will keep this kernel going until Gentoo get their next version ready with the 2.6 kernel as standard, and see what happens then...
Old 02-28-04, 11:03 PM   #4
Neutro

Just for the record:
I went to a friend of mine with my computer, and we swapped our video cards (he has a GF4 MX440 64 MB DDR, whereas I have a GF2 MX400 64MB).

After the swap, I couldn't reproduce the Firefox bug with my friend's card; however, he couldn't reproduce it either with my card.

My conclusion is that there's some sort of bad interaction between my specific card, my mother board (ASUS A7V266-E) and the linux drivers.
Neutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-04, 03:17 PM   #5
davecs

Just upgraded to kernel gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.3-r1 and exactly the same thing is happening again.

It's definitely the change of kernel that is making the difference, and so I have to wonder have I compiled something differently, or is there a change with a certain version of the kernel (2.4.22) which is to blame?
Old 03-17-04, 03:51 PM   #6
ByteEnable

Just for the record.....

I never lockup while playing a OpenGL game, only on the desktop!

Byte
ByteEnable is offline   Reply With Quote