Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-15-04, 12:15 PM   #1
Thaidog

Send a message via AIM to Thaidog
Question I need help installing nvidia drivers on SuSE 9.0 Pro

I found the instructions on nvidia's site not only full of bad grammar... but impossible to follow... Is there one amongst you who will step me through the process? thx
Thaidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-04, 01:51 PM   #2
HHAdmin

Send a message via Yahoo to HHAdmin
Default what has you stumped?

Tell me what part you are having trouble with and I will try to help you
HHAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-04, 04:21 PM   #3
Thaidog

Well the instructions say to use the YAST component to download the driver... that it is the easiest way. Well, this is a fresh install and I updated everything during the install process including downloading the drivers for nvidia... after the update you are given the chance to configure your system. Naturally I'm going to want to configure this new card... expanded desktop, and 3D acceleration. The configuration wizard gives a warning that say you most download the commercial drivers from nvidia from the website in order to have 3D acceleration enabled... So I then complete the install and log in as root and go to the website. The website says to read the SuSE specific instructions in order to install on SuSE linux. The instruction say to use YAST to donwload the newest drivers and to not pay attention to the warning about no 3D acceration when you try to enable it yourself... that it is false... Well I'm stuck from here! did I already download it in the install process? and that was the false warning they were talking about or do I need to install some other version... bc yast shows that I have already install nvidia drivers... but 3d accleration is not enabled and also I can not get desktop spanning to work... I only have one monitor on right now... however, but I should be given a choice anyway.. right?
Old 03-16-04, 07:00 AM   #4
HHAdmin

When I did it, I ran the NVidia installer as root in runlevel 3. It brought down the source and compiled a driver for me. Then I went into YaST and chose the NV25 driver for the card. Then I enabled 3D from the same menu. From there I would imagine that you can enable the other features you indicated. You don't have to use Yast to download the NV drivers, you can get them from the NV website. Give it another shot and let me know what happens.

Cheers.......
Old 03-16-04, 03:43 PM   #5
Thaidog

Quote:
Originally posted by HHAdmin
When I did it, I ran the NVidia installer as root in runlevel 3. It brought down the source and compiled a driver for me. Then I went into YaST and chose the NV25 driver for the card. Then I enabled 3D from the same menu. From there I would imagine that you can enable the other features you indicated. You don't have to use Yast to download the NV drivers, you can get them from the NV website. Give it another shot and let me know what happens.

Cheers.......

How do I get to runlevel 3?

What commands do I type in the terminal to do this?

Like to get to runlevel 3 you type: blah
then once you're there you type this to install the drivers: blah

thanks for any help!
Old 03-16-04, 04:24 PM   #6
HHAdmin

To get to runlevel 3, log in as root and type the following.

yourbox# init 3

that will take you down to a text based, network enabled runlevel. Then you can run the NVidia installer. As the NVidia installer will not install in graphical mode.

yourbox# chmod 777 NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run

That last command makes the file executable. This next one runs it.

yourbox# ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run

Give it a shot and hang in there. You are almost there.
Old 03-17-04, 10:52 PM   #7
Thaidog

I got it installed using the the sh NVIDIA-Linux... command after going to the init 3 runlevel

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-18-04, 02:47 AM   #8
SuLinUX

By the way, Ctrl, Alt F1-F5 switches init modes, Ctrl, Alt F5 loads up the GUI(some people use startx) and Ctrl, Alt F7 gets you back to the GUI
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-04, 08:05 AM   #9
HHAdmin

Great!!! Glad I could help. clint.boggio@hoganhardwoods.com