Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-23-04, 11:50 PM   #1
Noodle03

Default Am I stupid or what?

I'm using Redhat 9, and try to install nVidia driver for it. It said I need to install kernel-source, ok, I installed it. But it still say can not found kernel source path. kernel-source RPM will not give me source tree, it only give me tgz or tar.gz file. Ok, I run rpmbuild -bp kernel-...spec to extract the source and apply the patches. Now, it told me it can not found module file name. I checked makefile, looks like it can not found linux/version.h

So I had to rpmbuild -ba kernel-...spec to rebuild kernel in order to install this nvidia driver? If I do not have gcc and lot of compile tools installed, I'm not able to install it?
Noodle03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-04, 01:35 AM   #2
beetee

Default Re: Am I stupid or what?

If you installed your kernel source from the RedHat 9 CDs, you should be able to find the path easily in /usr/src/whatever-your-kernel-version-is. So to pass the kernel-source option to the nVidia installer, you type

sh nvidia-installer --kernel-source-path=/usr/src/whatever-your-kernelsource-path-is

--assuming the nvidia-installer is already installed. If it ain't, then navigate to the directory you unpacked it in, then type that. In runlevel 3, of course.

If there's a problem ascertaining which kernel-source package to install, type

rpm -q kernel

and that will tell you your kernel version. Then look thru yer CDs, and find the appropriate kernel-version package. Install it, verify that it's there in /usr/src/, do the telinit 3 command (just hit Alt F2 and at the prompt type telinit 3, login as root), and run the installer.

-BT
beetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-04, 01:49 AM   #3
Soul-Crusher
Leadtek 6800GT

Send a message via ICQ to Soul-Crusher Send a message via AIM to Soul-Crusher Send a message via Yahoo to Soul-Crusher

I'm pretty sure you just need the headers. If you installed the kernel headers RPM, the path you need to point to should be /usr/src/RPMS/SRC/kernel-headers or something like that.

Please excuse me for being a bit vague on this subject, I haven't used Redhat in a while. I could just be totally wrong.
Old 03-24-04, 02:17 PM   #4
Noodle03

I'm using RedHat 9 kernel 2.4.20-30.9. I installed kernel-source RPM, but it has only tar.gz file, no source tree. After I extract them and patch them, I got source tree, but some header files (like version.h) still missing, so I didn't rpmbuild -ba, and got this files, but now, I got some error message else. please refer to another thread.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26466

I did some research, and I'm been told that because the header files or something else is different with currently running kernel. But I'm sure I'm using kernel 2.4.20-30.9, and kernel source is also 2.4.20-30.9.

What could this be? I had to rebuild kernel, and reinstall kernel from SOURCE?
Old 03-24-04, 03:46 PM   #5
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

The kernel-source package should not contain the tar.gz source tree or any spec file. What you likely did was to install the kernel-<version>.src.rpm. This is not the same file you require; yes.. this might be slightly confusing at first.

The src.rpm is used to recompile the kernel and to create kernel rpms, it is not really end-user material. Instead, you want a package named (assuming this is your running kernel version):
kernel-source-2.4.20-30.9.i386.rpm

This should be available at your update location.. rhn for now. This is roughly 30mb or so.. if you're running on a slow download line mention it and I'll get you the proper way to acquire this file from what you have already.
Old 03-24-04, 03:51 PM   #6
Noodle03

Wow, I believe this is what I'm looking for.

So there has a src.rpm, and also has kernel-source.i386.rpm. I will try it when I have time.

Thanks a lot.