Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-24-04, 11:32 AM   #13
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

In that case you're likely experiencing a driver bug (assuming you're not using rivafb); does it happen with older driver releases, as well?
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-04, 11:37 AM   #14
prplxd

Default Everything else is okay

Quote:
Originally posted by zander
In that case you're likely experiencing a driver bug (assuming you're not using rivafb); does it happen with older driver releases, as well?
No!
It apparently only seems to do it when I use the Nvidia drivers, "5336".
prplxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-04, 11:53 AM   #15
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

I guess the best you can do for now is to report this to NVIDIA and fall back to an earlier driver release until the problem is addressed.
Old 02-24-04, 12:03 PM   #16
lachlan

zander, I am editing lilo.conf to try out your suggestion. Should I add video=vesaff to the append string?

If I add it on its own line, then I get a syntax error.
lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-04, 12:12 PM   #17
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Correct, you need to add it to the append line: append="video=vesa:off vga=normal".
Old 02-24-04, 12:21 PM   #18
lachlan

Ok, that's what I tried. It didn't seem to change anything. I get the same behavior. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-04, 05:28 PM   #19
sloth
SSUP Sacto Chapter Head

Question Another user with the same problem

The thread makes it look like there are only the two people with this problem, but that is not true. I've seen other threads about the same thing

Normally I can boot the computer, everything runs fine. Once the X server starts if I change to a different terminal(word use?) with CTRL+ALT+F1 I get a screen full of garbage (it should have the pretty SuSE border), if I use CTRL+ALT+F2-F6 I get a blank screen.
After reading this thread I decided to try a suggestion. At the GRUB prompt I put in
video=vesaff vga=normal
and hit enter. The screen went completely blank and stayed that way until the X server started (nvidia splash screen). Everything appears to work in X (I'm writing this post) but if I hit CTRL+ALT+F1 I get a black screen.

what is vesafb and where can I learn more about turning it on and off, or getting rid of it completely.

Does anyone know if this happens in SuSE 9.0? Is this problem yet another reason I should upgrade?
sloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-04, 03:39 PM   #20
sloth
SSUP Sacto Chapter Head

Arrow it worked

Interesting to post a reply to my own reply, but I got it working today and I like to try and help people out, makes me feel smart.

I'm running SuSE 8.2, when you tell GRUB to boot linux there's a fancy splash screen, etc. I tried one suggestion (see above) that didn't work. I tried just "vga=off" as an argument and found that this command was completely ignored. So I used YaST2 to check out the bootloader configuration and found that there are several commands sent to the kernel even when I don't put anything in myself. To see these commands start YaST2, go to system, bootloader configuration, then edit Available Sections, edit Linux, edit kernel and you'll see the commands sent to the kernel.

One of the commands present is vga=0x31a
change this to vga=normal
problem solved.

If you're not using SuSE you can find out where to change things in GRUB directly if you check out the info page "info grub"

Hope this helps,
sloth
Athlon XP 1800+ | Leadtek K7NCR18G-Pro Nforce 2 | 384MB Crucial | Gainward FX Powerpack! 1800XP Golden Sample, GeForce FX 5900 | Western Digital WD1200JB 120GB HDD | Maxtor 6E040L0 40GB HDD | Samsung SM-348B 48X RW Combo |
sloth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-04, 03:24 AM   #21
superpat

Default Re: logging out of X --- ME TOO

Hi

I have exactly the same problem.

Using nvidia driver, stopping kde, returning to a frame buffer (pretty) console causes corruption, flashing blocks of colour.

Using nv driver, stopping kde, returning to frame buffer (pretty) console is OK

Removing fbconsole ( deleting vga=xxx ) from grub.conf returning from KDE to console is OK but UGLY, I lose the Gentoo logo, border round the console and the nice size font.

So this is unacceptable, It definitely appears to be a problem with the nvidia driver.

I will report it to Nvidia, in the meantime I am stuck with the non fb console ( unless anyone has found a work around)

regards

Patrick
superpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-04, 06:52 AM   #22
prplxd

Default Re: logging out of X --- ME TOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpat
Hi
Removing fbconsole ( deleting vga=xxx ) from grub.conf returning from KDE to console is OK but UGLY, I lose the Gentoo logo, border round the console and the nice size font.
This seems to have worked for some of us, but not for all of us.
I tried it and it did not help at all.

Quote:
So this is unacceptable, It definitely appears to be a problem with the nvidia driver.
At this time, I think I would have to agree on this.
Maybe we should try and to start a petition to Nvidia?

Quote:
I will report it to Nvidia, in the meantime I am stuck with the non fb console ( unless anyone has found a work around)
I am stuck too! However, I have just learned to work around it by just remaining in X, and shutting down from there.
And to my knowledge, no one has found an absolute work-around yet.
Some don't seem to have a problem, but I am one of the ones that has not found a solution yet!
I, for one, would definitely like to see a fix for this issue!
prplxd is offline   Reply With Quote