Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-26-04, 11:14 PM   #1
sinaptix

Thumbs up oh hapiness!!! flat panel calibration

uh huh huh, you said penis...

I've been so pissed off that I could not make a minor correction of brightness/contrast in software via the nvidia drivers to get my flat panel too display correctly (default settings are too bright, some colors missing). I finally learned about /usr/bin/nvidia-settings and 5341 drivers. Ah FINALLY I have my display set correct! I was seriously considering giving up nvidia for something else that has that setting in their driver.

It's about time nvidia included this in linux drivers. So, this config util was included in a beta driver some time ago from what I gathered (4460 IIRC?), but only in that release, up until 5341. It puzzles me why this is not a standard feature in the official release drivers? I don't understand why I have to go hunting forum links to other sites to eventually get it. But at the moment that's besides the point. I'm overjoyed that I can set this correctly now. I even had the passing thought to [shudder] give up linux for windows [/shudder] over this simple feature in the driver control panel.

IMO the display in very important, this may seem trivial to some? But I stare at my displays for so much time that it's very important to me to have the best config possible and some of these seemingly subtle features can make/break the platform.

So thank you for putting that out there nvidia, I hope it becomes a standard inclusion in future official drivers!
sinaptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-04, 01:20 AM   #2
Moled
cheese

Default Re: oh hapiness!!! flat panel calibration

go here:
http://www.sh.nu/download/nvidia/
get the 4620 nvidia-settings and use that instead

its has more features as you will see
Moled is offline   Reply With Quote