Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-27-04, 07:12 PM   #1
EWQ222

Angry Modules getting lost in Suse 9.0

Hello, I have been fighting this for a while this is about my 5th post on 3 diffrent sites and no one can carry me through this. by the way Geforce FX 5200 is my card with Suse 9.0

My current situation:
-I can get the Nvidia installer working by redownloading the Kernel-source each time I use the installer (I just cane seem to keep it on my machine)
- I can then run sax with sax2 -m 0=nvidia and set up Sax.
- I can then go back to runlevel 5 and my 3d graphics are enabled (even though sax doesnt show it) and i can run 3d Applications.
- Then I restart, the screen blinks 3 times (no Nvidia Splash) and then goes back to command line. I type startx hoping it will start and it doesnt. I get the Error

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

The XF86Config file looks right.

I can get back into X buy resetting it to default nv by using sax2 -m 0=nv instead of nvidia
also, If I try to run the Nvidia installer again it doesnt find my kernel unless I right click and "update" my kernel, the source just wont stay.

Is the XF86Config file resetting each time I change it using Sax and the installer??
eh, help me if you guys can!
EWQ222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-04, 08:25 PM   #2
Moled
cheese

Default Re: Modules getting lost in Suse 9.0

I can tell you exactly what it is

its the device nodes in /dev

they are missing and are getting lost after each reboot

are you using udev or devfsd?

from the readme:
Code:
Installation will also create the /dev files:

crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     195,   0 Feb 15 17:21 nvidia0
        crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     195,   1 Feb 15 17:21 nvidia1
        crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     195,   2 Feb 15 17:21 nvidia2
        crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     195,   3 Feb 15 17:21 nvidia3
        crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     195, 255 Feb 15 17:21 nvidiactl
you will need at least nvidia0 and nvidiactl

how suse handles this I have no idea, tis best to sulinux
Moled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-04, 09:36 PM   #3
whig
550Ti

Sometimes the nvidia kernel module needs an explicit load. Put it in the file /etc/modules (or wherever your kernel 2.6 needs it)
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-04, 09:56 AM   #4
EWQ222

Quote:
Originally Posted by whig
Sometimes the nvidia kernel module needs an explicit load. Put it in the file /etc/modules (or wherever your kernel 2.6 needs it)
Ok, umm I dont know where to put it. If you guys could be a little more specific.. I know you dont know suse but someone is bound to know. Where do I add the code? Thanks for the help, almost there.
now, as for the Dev stuff, I think I have all those and more. here are the Dev files with Nvidia in front.

nvidia0
nvidia00
nvidia01
nvidia02
nvidia03
nvidia1
nvidia2
nvidia3
nvidia4
nvidia5
nvidia6
nvidia7
nvidiactl

Seeing that I think I will make a fresh install of suse and start all over again...IF you guys cant help me out. Thanks
Old 03-29-04, 12:07 AM   #5
whig
550Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWQ222
Ok, umm I dont know where to put it. If you guys could be a little more specific.. I know you dont know suse but someone is bound to know. Where do I add the code?
It's not hard; /etc/modules is a text file. Go into it with a text editor and put nvidia on a line by itself.
Old 03-29-04, 06:31 PM   #6
EWQ222

Ok, I found that, where do I add the line about Nvidia and what is the line? just type nvidia somewhere? Dont give up on me please!
Old 03-29-04, 07:36 PM   #7
whig
550Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWQ222
Ok, I found that, where do I add the line about Nvidia and what is the line? just type nvidia somewhere? Dont give up on me please!
Adding it at the bottom will do. As is often the case Linux is case sensitive so put simply put "nvidia" (no quotes) on a line by itself. You may see lines starting with a "#" - these are comments and are not executed. Another way of loading the module on demand, for immediate effect, is:

modprobe nvidia

... so you don't have to reboot (do it as root.)
Old 03-29-04, 09:36 PM   #8
EWQ222

wow! If only that worked! I added nvidia to the bottom and when I restarted it decided to yell at me and say something along the lines of inaproprete line 460 nvidia. then thinking that modules.conf just hates me I decided to try modprobe nvidia and I got this little error

linux:/home/EWQ222 # modprobe nvidia
modprobe: Can't locate module nvidia

Ill keep playing with this one but humm mabey nvidia was not enough. is there more to that line?
I return to my work. DONT GIVE UP ON ME!

OK, this is an Update. I followed the Suse Installer without heeding the "Update Kernel before running installer" part and it works fine. so the real problem is my kernel. I can live with the old kernel, its about the same to me. what is the diffrence in kernels? but until then it works! any advice on my suse Kernel?
Thanks!
ohh, and this was the line I needed in modules.conf (or so I think because the Nvidia installer put it there)
alias char-major-195 nvidia

Last edited by EWQ222; 03-29-04 at 10:21 PM.

Old 03-29-04, 10:30 PM   #9
whig
550Ti

Modules are placed in /lib/modules. In my case nvidia.o is in /lib/modules/2.4.25/kernel/drivers/video/

You should look to see that the nvidia installer has in fact put the module where it should be - this depends on the kernel you are running. Every time you upgrade or switch kernels to a different version you need to re-run the installer and the video driver module will be installed in the appropriate place. Switching kernels could be the reason why things are failing on you.