Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-11-04, 12:57 AM   #13
michael a.

Default Re: where can i learn how to use the "nv" drivers as opposed to the "nvidia" ones?

rats, no luck with the nvidia drivers, same scenario as usual, i'm almost glad that the problem wasn't so simple. is there any reason UseFBDev might have something to do with the the nvidia issue? right now i have agp disabled, and agpgart removed from the kernel. could that cuase trouble? i've read of my symptoms associated with agp issues. also now that i think about it, with windows agp won't function with my mother board unless some special drivers, part of via's 4in1 driver pack is installed. do you think there could be an equivalent with linux, and that it might cause such a problem. i've looked threough the boards cd for linux files, but found nothing clearly related to agp though i could look again. with windows, this simply does not allow for agp support but perhaps the consequences with linux might be more severe. i will have to investigate that further. also do you mind shareing what you know about the UseFBDev option... i will look it up otherwise.

also some side issues. when i recompiled the kernel to 2.4 from 2.2 the console became small restricting itself to about half the size of the actual monitor in the middle of the screen but with seemingly better resolution, and perhapss fonts. anyway to increase the dimensions to the entire screen again off the top of ahnyones head. abd also the new nv x is displayed as slimmer about the y axis and shifted a bit to the left. i use the sanme monitor for difference systems, so i can't really adjust the monitor externally, acan anyone recommend a means to fix this development?

in any case i relaly do apreciate all of the attention.

best wishes.

sincerely,

michael
michael a. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-04, 02:20 AM   #14
quadfour

Default Re: where can i learn how to use the "nv" drivers as opposed to the "nvidia" ones?

That UseFBDev option does what it says, uses the Frame buffer device, not really needed now days

In the case of your kernel, don't disable all that AGP stuff. I have tried all of this already to solve my problem and it did jack as I suspect it would do for you. I would first suggest using a stock kernel and trying the 4496 drivers, that seems to work for most people.
quadfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-04, 02:37 AM   #15
michael a.

i really apreciate the aswsistance, but its getting late and i think i aught to call it a night. but before then do you mind explaining what you mean by a 'stock' kernel, and where i mightfind the drivers you suggest? -michael
Old 04-11-04, 03:28 AM   #16
quadfour

By stock kernel I mean one using the default configuration of debian. All you need is the config file and then you can compile it yourself. Have a look for default kernel config in /boot.

The 4496 NVidia drivers can be downloaded from:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_archive.html
quadfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-04, 11:08 AM   #17
michael a.

yes, that is what i presumed, i guess i was being more facecious than i had previously imagined, but it never hurts to be sure i suppose. i was actually installing one right now. but for the record my debian distribution, woody it is called, began with so few options installed it could hardly be too useful. perhaps it configured itself that way via thee initial dialogue but i couldn't imagine not having to recompile the kernel for anyone hoping for even standard device support such as usb. and i can't imagine that i configured the kernel in any way to render it incompatible with the nvidia drivers. never teh less i'm giving your suggestion a go.

sincerely,

michael
Old 04-11-04, 11:16 AM   #18
michael a.

question, when one creates a symbolic link to a symbolic link, does it equal the link file or the linked filed? -michael
Old 04-11-04, 11:24 AM   #19
michael a.

'file' rather than 'filed'..

actually i installed the the 2.4.18 kernel image from the debian distribution, and when booting it reports that the root fs device cannot be open/mounted. i presume there is some config file somewhere that the package installer didn't manage. i will have to look for it, this has never been a problem when using a custom built package and 'dpkg -i' ??? i opted out of the lilo options, the installation dialogue was slightly different than the kernel-image packages built by mkpkg actually.

sincerely,

michael
Old 04-11-04, 02:15 PM   #20
michael a.

it doesnn't look like i'm in a fair position to install a stock kernel. i installed teh debian kernel-image-2.4.1.8-686 package, which put the kernel image in the boot directory. it seems i made it past the root fs problem. aparently there is a further option with grub to supply an initrd image. run-time initialization data i'm assuming. in any case this was never necesarry before, and i don't have any other initrd binaries in the boot directory. whatever the case it seems the image is configured for a computer with a fairly different archhitecture than my own, though mine is really pretty standard. never the less the system can't make it through initialization without halting o n a line reading "kernel panic". the second time looking for a device called console. also on this second halt though the display was not scrollable there were many errors above the halting one. the initialization process did not resemble the one i'm familar with at all. i'm afraid configuring the linux initialization is an areea i'm very interested in but kind find little documentation of or help from others regarding.

well i could just go ahead and try the drivers you suggested with my custom kernel, or maybe i will try it with the orinal 2.2 kernel first, which might be closer to stock as you sa. in any case i think will late until later, or until i hear back, which ever comes first.

sincerely,

michael

Old 04-11-04, 05:48 PM   #21
michael a.

ok, i worked out the grub problem, so now i can boot two stock kernels, 2.2 and 22.4. the problem with grub was apparently that when you are specifying the kernel image with the 'kernel' command, sometimes you must also specify and extension called 'root' to specify the device that the kernel image can be found. this is not always necesaryy and i don't understand the case where it is. i can understand its usefulness if you are booting from a kernel on a file system that is not the file system which is wished to be used as the root directory... but never mind this is not the problem at hand.

the problem at hand however is at this point.. how can i terminate the x server so that i can run the nvidia installer. before with the vesa driver i could do this by forcing a crash by repeatedly pressing the ctrl+alt+shift+bksp combination, but now with the nv drivers the start up is too slow for this to register with the system. i could switch back to the vesa driver, but i would prefer if someone would tell me a legitimate means of 'killing' the x server at this point with the gdm daemon running. then i can install the driver you, quadfour, recommended.

sincerely,

michael
Old 04-11-04, 07:21 PM   #22
michael a.

well i finally managed to install the suggestex drivers(4996?)on the 2.4.18-686 stock kernel and teh effect was as same as ever.

i'm going to think about flashing the bios more and look into the via 'website' to see if i can't figure something else out about the mother board side of teh agp port.

i tried a sample xf86config file a ways back which was suggested in the installation docs. the effect was no different so i assume that it isnt something awry with the config file again.
Old 04-11-04, 08:38 PM   #23
michael a.

ps -A
kill <gdm's pid>

suffices for terminating x

i'm becoming depressed. it is beginning to look hopeless.

it seems that installing the drivers while running one kernel removes the module(o) file fromm all other kernels respective lib/modules/kernel/<kernel-version>/drivers/video directory. does this mean that it is not possible to have different modules for each kernel or at least have the same module for each kernel??

sincerely,

michael
Old 04-11-04, 10:55 PM   #24
michael a.

here are some issues which might apply to my situation

From www.minion.de:

"Words of caution

If you find that 1.0-5328 hangs on X startup on a newer Via chipset, please download the current 2.6 patch for this release. This bug is not specific to Linux 2.6.

Linux 2.6 AGPGART seems to be broken on some chipsets. If you find that your system hangs upon starting X, potentially with ASCII garbage all over the screen, try the built-in NVIDIA AGP GART driver (Option "NvAgp" "1", AGPGART not loaded) instead.

Many ACPI and UP I/O APIC configurations seem to be unreliable; if you're experiencing startup or stability problems, it may help to disable them with acpi=off and noapic. In some cases, a combination of pci=noacpi and pci=biosirq has also been reported to help.

The (partial) mem=nopentium workaround for the AMD Athlon/AGP stability problem on Linux will not work as expected on Linux 2.6. It has been made obsolete with the introduction of Andi Kleen's page attribute interface in Linux 2.4.20 (also present in Linux 2.6).

---------------------------------------

can anyone try to help me with these. i'm a little fuzzy on everything but the NvAGP option, which i just left in there because it describes my symptoms, ascii garbage and lock up that is.

what of the patch and the "<?>=<?>" bits, where should these be specified?

michael