Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-15-03, 05:48 AM   #1
onkel_hotte_200

Default X-Server hangs on logout

Hello!

I have a problem since I have my new mainboard "Asus A7V600". This Board has a Via KT600 Chip and my graphiccard is powered by a nVidia GForce 4 TI 4200 GPU.

My Linux Distribution is SuSE 8.2 with Kernel update from Mr. Mantel "k_athlon-2.4.21-116" and the sources, too. The NVIDIA-driver-install script compiled it's own kernel interface and rest of the Script went fine, too.

After changing the driver from "nv" to "nvidia" in the XF86Config file the restart of the X-Server is sucessfull, the NVIDIA logo apears and I'm ready to logon.

And now my Problem: after a successfull logon it's impossible to logout because the X-Server hangs and the hole system is dead. No ctrl-alt-del and no ctrl-alt-backspace is possible.

Can anybody show me a way to fix it?

Thanx,

Matthias =)
onkel_hotte_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-04, 09:30 PM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Default Re: X-Server hangs on logout

This is a frequently mentioned topic on the forum, it seems to have several fixes.. and sometimes no fix.
Searching the forum for 'logout' yields many results (too many, some are unrelated). Worth a quick look:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...ghlight=logout

Most often it seems that having a TV-OUT cable plugged in (whether its used or not) is related to the hang. Terminal corruption (where lots of random garble or odd display is shown) is a different problem, but seems to also happen alot with TV-OUT (the other major thing is probably AGP settings or motherboard issues).
Old 04-13-04, 12:20 AM   #3
whig
550Ti

Default Re: X-Server hangs on logout

Are you running the latest production kernel?
whig is offline   Reply With Quote