Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-13-04, 06:16 PM   #1
ggulik

Default NVIDIA Linux 5336 and Fedora Core 2/2.6 kernel

Is there a trick to getting the NVIDIA driver working with Fedora Core 2 Test 2?? The latest kernel is based on 2.6.5 but it hasn't worked for me with several of the test kernels.

I checked the Fedora test mailing list and it appears to be due to the 4KSTACKS dependency which is being removed from the kernel completely with 2.6.6.

Any idea if there will be a new driver from NVIDIA soon??? FC2 is scheduled to be released in a couple weeks and I have two computers with NVIDIA video cards that I'm looking to upgrade.
ggulik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-04, 07:54 PM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Default Re: NVIDIA Linux 5336 and Fedora Core 2/2.6 kernel

The option is being removed, not the code that is controlled by the option. In short, you will not be able to use the nVIDIA driver currently released with any kernel newer than 2.6.6 unless that kernel is specifically patched to disable this code change... which may be non-trivial.

See this reponse by Dave Jones (Fedora Core kernel maintainer) regarding the option removal: http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedor.../msg01460.html
A comment by Jef Spaleta later in the thread: http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedor.../msg01469.html

The options are, wait for nVIDIA to work out the details with the kernel as 2.6.6 is released, or use an earlier kernel.