Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-13-04, 08:43 PM   #1
ob1knobe

Default help

After years of the blue screen of death i have jumped on the linux band wagon.

I installed lindows 4.5.122 this morning

I have no idea what i am doing, so i need some help. Here are my specs

epox nf2 8rda3+
amd barton 2800
gigabyte 4200 gforce 4
two kingston 256 mb ddr set up in dual mode, and a corsair 512 = 1 gig of ddr
IBM 40 gig hard drive
maxtor 120 gig drive

First give me the basics on what a kernal is, is it that imoprtant to a beginner?
what is a .Tar file, i assume it's similar to zip and how do i open it in lindows?
How do i install new drivers for my nforce board and grafics card
Basicly i need a steo by step for my first run

any help is appreciated
ob1knobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-04, 09:23 PM   #2
energyman76b

Default Re: help

Hi,

first of all, wrong forum. ;o)
there are millions of linux-forums out there.

Second: Start reading. I hate lindows, because it is a insecure, incompatible, overprized piece of crap, but even lindows should have some Documentation online or on the install media. And almost all your questions should be answered in great depht and in a beginner-friendly tone. If not, get a SuSE, they HAVE a great Documentation (with real fat books, where you can notices and so one.. yeah..=).

Third: all your nvidia-related questions are answered in the README and install-instructions, delivered by nvidia. Same as above, just read, follow the steps, don't jump ahead, and everything should be fine. But first read some basic stuff, so you are not totally lost.

Fourth: tar is a program for doing tape-backups. Luckily it is also a great tool to make all kinds of compressed packages. .tar means a packet, put together by tar, tgz is a tar file, compressed by gzip (a tar option), tar.bz2 or tbz a bzip2 compressed tar file (a tar option to) etc. tar has its nice sides, but some nasty traps too, so start reading, friend. (for the beginning, you can not do much damage by unpacking, and even a screwed of tar-command line will allmost certainly not destroy your system ;o))
tar -xzf foo.tgz unpacks foo.tgz
tar -xjf foo.tbz unpacks foot.tbz
tar -cjf bar.tbz /home/user/bar

-x means extract
-z pipe through gzip
-j pipe through bzip2
-f the file that is packed/unpacked.
IMPORTANT: the file has to be directly after f!
-c create
Fifth: the kernel is the one master programm who manages io, mem, cpu, etc, manages, which programm runs now, who has to be notified about interrupts etc pp blabla. Did I mention reading?

A good point for starters:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/
and
http://www.distrowatch.com/
if you decide to kick lindows.
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-04, 10:05 PM   #3
ob1knobe

I got lindows from a friend so i was ready to give it a try, Suse is better, what about mandrake 9 or 10?

As far as installing i htink i have figured out a few things but the tough thing is trying to read these text files and nderstand what they are talking about. sometimes it tells me to "build" the program what does that mean? terms like glib, atk. are they talking about compiling and if so what program would you recomend?
Old 04-13-04, 10:11 PM   #4
ob1knobe

the reason i needed help is because now i have the nvidia drivers i just don;t know how to use them.
Old 04-13-04, 10:24 PM   #5
energyman76b

Hi,

Mandrake is a userfriendly-full blown distro too.
I tried it once (7.2 or so, long time ago), and I got mad of the bubblegum-graphics... everything so colourful, cute and cheerish.. *shudder* and I was not able to make it go away.., and the documentation was not as good as SuSE's, but that is a long time ago.

SuSE has some very powerfull and easy to use tools, that everybody should be able to use, yast, sax, yum.

'to build' a programm definetly means to compile it, but in most cases it is not so bad, as it sounds (and sometimes...).
glib and atk are librarys (X, the part of your distro that displays the graphics is really dumb. It does not know about 'boarders' 'knobs', etc. All it knows is to display pixels and to give events back to programms (ok, it can do more..) There are some so called 'widgets' that spare the programmers to build windows, fields, knobs etc again and again and again and help them to not get lost in X confusing standards. If you programm against gtk/fltk/qt you do not have to worry about how to make a dialog box and how to beat X to give it the right colours and so on.)

If you have kde you have at least qt installed. If it is gnome, you have glib/gtk and a lot of other stuff already installed.

There is no 'program to recommend' for building a program. There are only the ways mentioned in the README or INSTALL file and most times it goes this way:
./configure (with some options, you can find out about with ./configure --help)
This configures the 'Makefiles' and checks that all needed libs are installed.
make
This does the actual 'building' by invoking gcc and other programs in the right order and with the right options. If all went fine the last step:
make install
This copies the know compiled binaries/lib into /usr/local/bin|lib, the config files somewhere else /etc, or /usr/local/etc or /usr/local/share/godforsakenwherethisprogramlikeitsconfigs and optimaly its documentation into /usr/local/share/doc/
Old 04-13-04, 10:49 PM   #6
energyman76b

Hi,

for the drivers, follow the steps in the README. Everything is explained there. Just follow the instructions and everything will be fine.
Just download the installer, read the documentation and let it run.
You need sources for your kernel installed.
How to do it in lindows? I don't know, ask your friend, or the documentation.
At least, lindows seems to use deb-packages so you should easily find some written help.
Old 04-13-04, 10:57 PM   #7
ob1knobe

i got one more, do you guys knowof any forums or anyone sharing pre-compiled software, or is it better just to build it myself
Old 04-14-04, 04:06 PM   #8
energyman76b

Hi,

well, as I said, there are al LOT of forums, but I know only german ones.

And with a 'normal' distri you should be able to get most usefull software precompiled. Alternatively you can try to install debian packages, but I do not gurantee, that your system will like that.