Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-04-02, 02:02 PM   #1
TrickerZ

Default X crashes upon start

Ok, this is weird, X works fine using the nv driver, and it works fine if nv is run and then nvidia is run after shutting down X. But if I restart and try running X with the nvidia driver, it goes to change resolutions and dies (Black with evil smileys and random characters). There are no errors in XF86 log and nothing suspicious. I've tried disabling AGP, mem=nopentium, noacpi, and all sorts of module modifiers. I'm wondering if it could be a problem with the refresh rate? If anyone has had this problem or has any ideas, please let me know. Thanx in advance.
Old 10-19-02, 01:51 PM   #2
PaperclipAliens

Default Having Same Problem...

I'm having the same problem and wondered if you ever figured out how to fix it.

I'm using the following:

GeForce2 MX400 graphics card
500MHz AMD K6-2 processor
Debian Sarge OS
2.4.19 kernel

I installed the kernel and glx drivers from the tar files as instructed. No installation errors arose. I commented out Load "GLcore", Load "dri", and Driver "nv" in my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file. I inserted Driver "nvidia" in the same file. I then inserted the line "alias major-char-195 NVdriver" in my /etc/modules.conf file.

The NVdriver module loads, and based on my log, everything seems to initialize correctly. However, in the end, I have various characters scattered across the screen and a red box in the upper left-hand corner.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help you or anyone else can provide.
Old 10-19-02, 10:07 PM   #3
TrickerZ

Default No such luck

I wish I could figure it out, since I'm stuck in winblows for gaming now. I wish SOMEONE out there would know this problem and be able to fix it. Maybe my kernel commands aren't going through, does anyone know how to check?
Old 10-19-02, 11:44 PM   #4
bwkaz

I think I remember someone fixing it by setting AGP to 1x in their BIOS, but I could be wrong...

In any case, the problem seems rampant lately. Most of the time it's with a GF4 MX or GF2 MX card, and generally RedHat -- although it's happening here with Debian, and with a GF3, so there went those theories. Hmm...
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-02, 12:53 AM   #5
TrickerZ

Default Ouch AGP 1x

Maybe if I try a couple things with the bios it will work. I have 4x enabled and if all else fails I can try 2x. If that doesn't work, I guess I'm stuck with windows for gaming. :-(
Old 10-20-02, 09:28 PM   #6
chrono86

Yeah, it happens to me and it has nothing to do with AGP (maybe a little). I tried setting agp to 0 with the nvagp option but it just goes to weird evil smileys too. It has to be a bug in the driver, by the way here are my specs:

Via MVP3 chipset
AMD k6-2 350
Geforce 2 MX400

same mx400, and its with everyone. Nvidia should fix this bug.
-rian
chrono86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-02, 02:42 AM   #7
TrickerZ

Default I agree

I think it does have something to do with the drivers, but the weird thing is, this only started happening when I got my new motherboard. When I had my abit ka7, it worked, but I got the tyan mp board and it didn't. Does everybody else's work when they use the regular nv driver? or not for either?