Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-18-02, 12:49 PM   #1
giallu

Default strange behaviour when exiting X

I am happily using the v3123 driver in my new laptop (Acer TravelMate 630) equipped with a GeForce 2 Go card.

I have only one (little?) problem when I exit the X server and go to the console: the screen is flickering a lot in text mode and, while the console is still usable, I am a bit worried if this can damage the LCD.

It stops if I reboot (obviously ) and if I startx again. So I really think it is a driver issue.

The screen looks like when you press logout in gnome (or windows for that matter) and it shows the confirmation question. if I use the vesa driver, clicking ok, remove that "moiree" effect and exits regularly in the console. it looks like the X server exits BEFORE removing that effect and so I get it even on the console...

system info:

RedHat 8.0
kernel 2.4.19 +ACPI patch
Geforce2 Go card with 32Mb DDR

feel free to ask me any further information it could be useful in your opinion.

regards

Gianluca
Old 10-21-02, 05:51 AM   #2
moali

Hi!

Ive got the same problem with my Acer TM 634XC. But I was able to find a workaround - perhapps this works for you to:

When exiting X or swithching over to the console-window turn off the LCD-backlight (according to the users manual. I think it was Fn+F4 or Fn+F5 on my notebook). After reactivating the display by pressing a key everything looks fine - at least on my notebook.

I know that this is just a workaround but it should help preventing the LCD from damage.

moali
moali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-02, 06:20 AM   #3
giallu

Thank you!
I will try that but, even if it will work, I still think there is something wrong with the driver that should be fixed.
I just had a quick serach in posts and I found yours (same Travelmate 630 as me but diverse distribution):

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...&threadid=2971

and this one:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...&threadid=2391

and maybe even this one

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...&threadid=2941

I checked my compiled kernel and actually I found that I have frambuffer support compiled in the kernel for several cards: I removed it, recompiled kernel and drivers but it still brokes the screen exiting X.

I understand I'm a little picky with NVidia support, but I do really think there are the situations where a company may stand over the others.

regards

Gianluca

PS. I can't use the 29xx drivers because I can't recompile the module: it complains about my gcc version (3.2)
Old 10-21-02, 06:45 AM   #4
moali

Quote:
Originally posted by giallu
[...] I still think there is something wrong with the driver that should be fixed.
[...]
This is my oppinion, too

moali
moali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-02, 09:31 AM   #5
Jaques

Lightbulb

the problem is the version of the driver.
the last not the current version works!

please use version 2960 not 3123.

this worked for me ( I have a travelmate 634LC )

hope this helps
Old 10-21-02, 09:48 AM   #6
giallu

Jacques,

I already tried to rebuild the 2960 driver but it seems I cannot compile it because I am using a different version of gcc as it expects (RedHat 8 ships with 3.2).

The only thing I did not try is compiling them from sources (i.e. the tar.gz files) but I doubt I can do that, since I think it will fail with the very same issue.

Will let everybody know.

giallu
Old 10-21-02, 12:38 PM   #7
bwkaz

If you compile 2960 from .tar.gz with gcc 3.2 (I have tried this a couple of times), the kernel module should work. The problem, if you run into one, would be that GLX actually doesn't get initialized because of unresolved symbols in 2960's libGLcore.so file. Of course, the only errors are in X's log, and when you try to run a GLX program (glxgears is a good one to try). But try it out and see.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-02, 03:37 AM   #8
giallu

Thanks you for the info bwkaz, right now I have no time to try again this compilation. I already compiled the kernel about 10 times to let this new portable work properly, so I'm pretty rired of gcc, libraries and so on..

Moreover, from your post I understand it will not be the solution for me to use the 2960 driver, because I NEED the GL substem to work (this pc is sort of a demo machine for our programs, which are using 3D graphics all the time).

Ithink I will try ASAP and let everybody know the results.

Regards

giallu