Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-22-02, 10:34 AM   #1
volt

Default Black Hat Briefings: Windows Security Updated

If anyone is interested:

WHAT IS THE BLACK HAT BRIEFINGS: WINDOWS SECURITY?

The Black Hat Briefings Windows Security Briefings was created to focus
specifically on the security issues created in the Windows environment.
Many new technologies are included in the W2K and Windows XP family of
operating systems, and they have security implications that need to be
understood.

Because the issues surrounding W2K and XP security are so numerous, a
specific Black Hat conference has been created to explore them. Spanning
two days with three separate tracks, this conference will explore in
greater detail the technologies, tools, and techniques needed by system
administrators to stay on the cutting edge.

What makes Black Hat Windows Security different? The speakers. We select
the speakers that are doing unique research, writing the security tools, or
finding the bugs. No vendor pitches. Just straight talk from people who are
experts in their chosen field of study.

http://www.blackhat.com/html/win-usa...sa-03-cfp.html
http://www.blackhat.com/presentation...3-sec-0915.pdf
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-02, 11:44 AM   #2
de><ta
prodigy

what is black hat some lame pun for red hat???

Microsoft will always have security flaws. That is just the nature of OS. No matter what is said a flaw can be found. The researchers can prove all they want that the system is invulnerable only untill the time someone breaks in.

For home use some of these flaws are fine. But for corporate use what MS offers is their solution. "Their solution" for a corporation may not meet the corporate's ideals. Sure they can sell customized solutions but knowing MS i would not trust them too much.

///m-powered | Intel i7 920 | EVGA x58 | 6GB DD3 1600 | EVGA GTX 285 SSC | 150GB VelociRaptor

Drag racing is for fast cars. Autocrossing is for fast drivers.
de><ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-02, 11:58 AM   #3
volt

I specifically stated: If anyone is interested.
Black Hat provides BETTER and more accurate information than Microsoft with regard to secuirty and patches.

EDIT: I really believe you should read what Black Hat is all about before making a statement that "you would not trust them too much". I sure don't trust Microsoft.
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]

Last edited by volt; 10-22-02 at 12:01 PM.
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-02, 12:31 PM   #4
de><ta
prodigy

sorry i think that came out a bit too crudely.

What i meant was that this BlackHat commitee seems like another one of Microsoft's little games/tricks/facades.

Looks more like MS is moving more towards a different style of handling security.

This organization sprung up as a means to find an end to the threat posed by denial to server attack such as TFN. MS based server are the ones most vulnurable to this attack.

This organization looks like a puppet of MS rather than an independent body. I did not mean that i do no trust this body, i am not sure. But final word is that i smell something fishy. Having an independent body on a corporate product. Dont tell me MS does not have enoug money to get their own testing done.

///m-powered | Intel i7 920 | EVGA x58 | 6GB DD3 1600 | EVGA GTX 285 SSC | 150GB VelociRaptor

Drag racing is for fast cars. Autocrossing is for fast drivers.
de><ta is offline   Reply With Quote