Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-23-02, 01:08 PM   #1
Nemon

Default Mandrake 9.0 and same problem , but ...

Hi ! Sorry for my English (i'm Russian).
I made all what i read in help . I shutdowned Xserver and installed
2 rpm. And know i cann't change /etc/X11/XF86Configure-4 ,because i cann't start
xserver.
Old 10-23-02, 08:09 PM   #2
bwkaz

Sure you can! Text-mode text editors are cool! Well, OK, maybe not all the time, but I like them.

See if vim /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 does anything useful. It should bring up a full-screen editor, but if not, you may have to go with vi instead (vim might not be installed, but vi always is -- if you have to go with it, vi /etc/X11/XF86Config-4). Either way, use your arrow keys to go to the part of the file you want to change (I believe page up/page down will work as well), and then delete the old things that are there. Hit the 'i' key to get into insert mode, and type whatever new that you need in there. For example, you could page down to the "Driver "vesa"" line, delete the vesa part, hit 'i', and type in nvidia instead. Hit the escape key to get back to command mode, and then scroll down to wherever you need to make your next change. When you're done, and in command mode (if you aren't, an Esc will do the trick), type in :wq and hit return. This will save and exit out of vi or vim.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote