Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-22-04, 09:50 AM   #1
bfdx7

Unhappy geforce4 and screen lockup

I was wondering if there is anyone that could help me. I recently added Redhat 9 to a second partition. I have a PNY geforce4 mx440 graphics card which I know works since I'm having no problems with it on my XP portion of my boot. I downloaded the correct Linux drivers and they installed correctly without any problems. I followed the directions and changed my X86Config to include the approriate driver and I made the appropriate changes. When I bring the system back up in X it is frozen. I have a some text and some color blocks but nothing that resembles the log on screen. I'm unable to directly access any of my files so I am unable to include them in this posting. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The only thing out of the ordinary that I noticed is that I have the geforce4 mx440 graphics card and the OS is recognizing it a just a geforce4. I don't know if this makes a difference.

Here are my system specks:
SOYO p4 VGA MB
intel p4 3.06g
western digital 160g hard drive
generic pc-133 256k ram
PNY geforce4 mx440 64mb

Thanks,
Jay
bfdx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-04, 02:18 PM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Default Re: geforce4 and screen lockup

The logfile will show a more accurate identification of the card, in this case what the system refers to as 'geforce 4' is accurate enough (it is simply a name given, and does not change how the card will be used/setup).

Until you can work out the problem, you should be able to boot the system into runlevel 3 (terminal only) and work on the issues... this will allow you access to the logfile at /var/log/XFree86.0.log and the config file (post them here for more help).

To boot to runlevel 3:
At grub, enter your password, select the kernel you want to boot (don't push enter yet), press e to edit the configuration for that kernel, press e again to edit the line similar to this one (different kernel version numbers in there are fine):
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.332 ro root=LABEL=/

Append the number 3 to the end... like so:
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.332 ro root=LABEL=/ 3

press enter to save, b to boot. When you get logged in, you can make that change (temporarily) permanent by editing /etc/inittab (instructions are in that file comments), or you can add it to /boot/grub/grub.conf. If you make either change you will not require adding the 3 as a kernel parameter in grub.

Your problem:
Until the config and log can be seen, it is unclear what the problem is, but a quick fix to try that is frequently helpful: use nvidia's agp module rather than the kernel agpgart.
Code:
Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
        Option      "NvAGP" "1"
EndSection
What version is your kernel, and what distro are you running? (uname -r output for kernel vers)
Old 04-22-04, 03:44 PM   #3
bfdx7

Thanks LordMorgul for the reply I appreciate it. I'll post the files later on when I get home. I saw the "NvAGP" "1" fix in a previous posting and I tried it last night (after I re-installed the Redhat 9), and it still froze up. At least now I know how to get into the system with out having to reinstall everything. That should save me some time.
Old 04-27-04, 08:45 AM   #4
bfdx7

Problem solved. I was booting the wrong kernal in the Grub.