Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-27-04, 03:08 PM   #1
UltraZelda64

Default I'm new to linux in general, and need some help with the display drivers...

I know virtually nothing about Linux (I've always used Windows). But I tried downloading the new version of Fedora a couple days ago, which I realize is a preview, so not everything will work. In fact, I'm running it right now, and am only running into a couple problems here and there. Anyway... I downloaded the latest version of the nVidia display drivers. I open the file, and it says no program is assiciated with the filetype. I can't even get it to run. I don't think this is a problem with the driver installation file, since virtually every other program I tried installing and running will not work (they all say nothing is assiciated with opening them).

So, what am I doing wrong? I wanna figure it out, but I think there's some differences between Windows and Linux that are major and I don't know about, otherwise I would've at least had this driver installer running by now... at least tell me how the hell to associate a simple file (like an installer) to run.

Oh, and slightly off-topic - does anyone know where to get Creative Sound Blaster Platinum drivers?
UltraZelda64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-04, 03:20 PM   #2
dpw2atox

Default Re: I'm new to linux in general, and need some help with the display drivers...

well to run the installer you need to be in a text environment and type "sh nvidia-installer-whatever it is.run" problem is though nvidia drivers are broken in fedora core 2 test 2 and 3 so you will have to recompile a new kernel without 4stacks enabled.
dpw2atox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-04, 03:24 PM   #3
UltraZelda64

Default Re: I'm new to linux in general, and need some help with the display drivers...

I tried clicking "Run Application" and it didn't work, figured I had to be in some DOS-like mode (for lack of better way to say it...). How do you get into it, and if you want to get back to the Linux GUI, what do you type?

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing: Does it matter where the file is on the hard drive? I couldn't imagine being able to type "sh filename" without the path, and the computer being able to find and run it without a problem...
UltraZelda64 is offline   Reply With Quote