Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-26-04, 11:53 AM   #1
amagana78

Default Linux RH9 and geForce FX

I'm having problems with my new geForce FX 5200 and Linux Red Hat 9, I can't run the installation in graphical mode because the screen would go black and I would get this message from the monitor "Frequency overflow", so I had to do it in text mode, when the installation was done It was time to configure the video and monitor, so I selected a geforce fx (generic) and a generic VGA monitor driver, I rebooted and it will not go into xwindows all I get is a black screen with the same message "Frequency overflow", then I typed [Crtl]+[Alt]+F1 to access a terminal but all I get is a cursor on the upper left corner, I push enter and nothing happens.

Any idea on how to fix this?

K7S5A PRO, geforce fx 128MB, Athlon 2000+
amagana78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-04, 04:27 AM   #2
rednuht
GeForce FX5600 (1.0-5336)

Default Re: Linux RH9 and geForce FX

download the latest drivers from www.nvidia.com exit out of X and run the installation as per the README file that can be downaloded at the same time as the drivers.
rednuht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-04, 07:14 AM   #3
yodaofborg

unless it could be your monitors vsync values, i have installed redhat 9 (last night as a test) to see if it installs, and the graphical installer worked fine for me, i had no issues with X, and even with the NV driver, it works. The only thing i can think of is maybe your monitor is incorrectly reporting its V+H sync rates via dcc?? If possible, try another monitor, and make sure it supports at least 1027x768 @ 60hz, otherwise you need a new monitor
yodaofborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-04, 10:01 AM   #4
amagana78

OK I have been reading about several similar problems, where the graphical install will not work, and it looks like I have to do it in text mode, I will try to install the nVidia driver you suggested tonight, I'll report my results.

How can this be a monitor problem if the monitor works fine under windows XP, and I can run it above 1027x768 @ 80Hz?
Old 04-27-04, 10:23 AM   #5
yodaofborg

sorry, i had two threads open and posted into the wrong one....lol didnt mean that reply for you (see below thread), again, sorry....

as i stated, i did have no problems with redhat 9 and my fx card, boots into graphcal install mode, even the nv driver runs X - i was hoping to recreate the issue at home and play with it a little, see what the beef is, but unforunalty for me, or maybe not, depends how you look at it it worked, and first time i might add,..lol, .....

I do not think the text install/driver install will help though, there is another thread here with the same prob.... http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27624

(geez, even though i did post in the wrong place,, am i supposed to be psycic and know you tested your monitor in windowz???....lol it can be an issue if your monitor is reporting incorrect values about its capabilities to X *its called EDID OR DCC AND ITS A KNOWN LINUX ISSUE *Just because it works in windowz, does not mean its gunna work for linux... you can override this in the config, but seen as how my advise is obviously worthless, you can find out how yaself...lol)

Hmmmm, assimilated you will be! futile is resistance!

yodaofborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-04, 02:24 PM   #6
amagana78

Dude I was asking a question, I didn't ment too upset anyone.

I will consider your advice in the link and give it a shot tonight.

Call me crazy if you like, but I didn't thought that it would make a diference with the monitor.

Thanks!
Old 04-28-04, 09:24 AM   #7
amagana78

Got it working last night, here's what I did

had to boot in single mode I did this in GRUB,
edited the inittab file to 3,
reboot,
login as root,
mounted CDROM,
installed driver,
edited XF85Config file to what the nvidia readme file stated,
edited inittab to 5,
and reboot
presto!, now I can work with X
Old 04-28-04, 09:30 AM   #8
dpw2atox

the reason this is the case is simple. The version of xfree86 that ships with redhat 9 does not support the fx cards.
dpw2atox is offline   Reply With Quote