Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-04-04, 07:41 PM   #1
CoffeeBreath

Default More blue screens with Xvideo, HDTV, and driver 5328

Howdy,

This is reported in the 5328 changelog:

* Fix a problem where the video overlay would sometimes stop working
when displaying HDTV resolutions.

But I'm still seeing the problem -- frequently, when watching HDTV resolution videos using Xvideo (under xine), the video overlay turns totally blue. The blueness persists across any applications that use Xvideo, and requires a reboot to clear. Unloading and reloading the kernel module has no effect.

The latest driver seems to have made it somewhat less frequent, but it's still happening a couple of times a day.

Is there anything I can provide that will help you debug the situation? HDTV clips, etc?

System info:

Shuttle shoebox system with on-board GeForce4 MX graphics
Athlon XP 2500+
Redhat 9.0 and kernel 2.4.20-20.9

# cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
Model: GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU
IRQ: 10
Video BIOS: 04.1f.00.07.00
Card Type: AGP

Thanks,
Steve (CoffeeBreath!)
CoffeeBreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-04, 08:01 AM   #2
CoffeeBreath

Just a little more info:

This blue screen problem seems to be more likely to happen when using XvMC, either with xine or mythtv.

Hopefully that helps shed some light...

Thanks,
Steve (CoffeeBreath!)
CoffeeBreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-04, 08:32 AM   #3
dopez

i can confirm this (random?) problem too, but i dont even have HDTV clips, just normal mpeg2/mpeg4 files at low-res (512x384 upto 720x576), im allways using mplayer, and reloading the nvidia module fixes the problem, if there's anyone who need more info for debugging this problem i'd more than happy to provide

Using a geforce4ti 4600, P4 2.8 with intel 875 chipset, nvidia's 5328 drivers and linux 2.6.1-mm4, running debian unstable

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
Model: GeForce4 Ti 4600
IRQ: 185
Video BIOS: 04.25.00.34.00
Card Type: AGP
dopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-04, 02:04 PM   #4
dopez

maybe its just random luck, but after some stress-testing with opening and closing the overlay device (looping mplayer -ss 99999 * , in a dir with about 100 avi's) it still doesnt give me a blue overlay

the only thing i did is remove Load "v4l" from the Section "Module" in XF86Config-4 and add Load "vbe" , i doubt the vbe has anything to do with it, but it might be worth a try if you have v4l in there to remove it
Old 01-24-04, 01:20 PM   #5
dopez

just random luck, i had the blue overlay again today, is there anyone from nvidia reading this and can maybe give some pointers where to look or what to do ?

attached is XF86Config-4, XFree86.0.log, my kernel .config and some extra info about the box
Old 01-24-04, 01:21 PM   #6
dopez

attachment got lost...
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia.zip (16.2 KB, 164 views)
Old 04-29-04, 06:15 AM   #7
Henning_n

Default Re: More blue screens with Xvideo, HDTV, and driver 5328

Hello.

I am experiencing a simular problem. I sometimes get a blue screen when watching video using the xv driver, and nothing except a reboot seems to fix the problem.

I've tried restarting X. I've reloaded the nvidia module, and even tried reinstalling the nvidia module but with no luck. I got a hint that the blue might be related to shared memory segments not beeing freed properly, but after listing and making sure there were no shared memory segments present, I still got a blue screen when attempting to playback video.

If I change to the x11 or even play via the framebuffer I get fine video output, but it is not accelerated and thus is a bit slow.

I also experience the same randomness as the other users. There is no telling when or why this will occur. For me it only seems to happen when I load up a new video, not during playback of a video.

The normal non-verbose x-log doesn't print anything indicating that something should be out of the ordinary when this blue error occured, I haven't included it but if someone believes it really could be useful I'll make a copy next time the error happens and post here.

The system I am using at the moment is a Dell Latitude c840 laptop with a (output from lspci) "01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 440 Go] (rev a3)" graphic card.

I also occasionally experience the garbled console issue, but for me the bluescreen issue is a far worse problem.

If anyone have any suggestion as to how this issue can be resolved without rebooting I'll be happy to know them.

Of course the best of all would be if nvidia somehow sorted this out (assuming it is a nvidia problem) and we get it working for the next driver release
Henning_n is offline   Reply With Quote