Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-29-04, 09:08 PM   #1
SkylineR34
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 26
Default HELP! I need advice on fixing 5900

well months ago i jumped on the modding band wagon and decided to try bios flashing, so i flashed my PNY 5900NU to a 5950U......first it was all sweet and stuff, increased framerates. But then i noticed outside of games pictures or just websites would get artifacts (not sure if thats what they are but they're like little yellow streaks of pixels ,sorta like when your card overheats) I lowered my clocks and it still didnt fix it. I try'd two more bios's, still didnt work. Now recently i started Far Cry....ten minutes in i get a blue screen saying i get a memory right or read error....sometimes it gives me an odd video card memory error or something like that. Ive tried everything i can. Now this started happening in ALL my games....they just crash with no errors, or they too get the blue screen.Some blue screens i get a high pitched ring ,and an irq error as well. Now your going to tell me just flash it back to a 5900Nu and see if that works. Thing is ...i cant. I get the bios downloaded but i have to change the device id to a 5950 ultras so everything matches and it lets me do it. I tried it in X-Bios Edit, the device id only goes up to 332 (5900 SE) i need to get it to 333 (5950U) and the 5900 NU is 331. I tried flashing anyways, got the error that it doesnt match up. I tried a overwrite just to ignore not match ups and it still wouldnt let me. I also get some BSOD errors sometimes from it..they all seem to stem from the videocard. Any help is greatly appreciated.
SkylineR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-04, 09:23 PM   #2
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.
 
-=DVS=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Outerspace
Posts: 3,009
Exclamation Re: HELP! I need advice on fixing 5900

RMA it and say your 5950 got defective memory if lucky you might get new 5950,
Other then that your memory might be burned......or gpu , then your screwed
__________________
.:. Lian Li X500FX .:. i7 2600k .:. PNY GTX 680 .:. Corsair DDR3 8GB .:. Silverstone 800W PSU .:. Asus P8P67-M Pro .:. Crucial M4 SSD 512GB .:.
-=DVS=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-04, 09:29 PM   #3
fury
W.O.T.
 
fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 43
Send a message via AIM to fury Send a message via MSN to fury
Default Re: HELP! I need advice on fixing 5900

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineR34
well months ago i jumped on the modding band wagon and decided to try bios flashing, so i flashed my PNY 5900NU to a 5950U......first it was all sweet and stuff, increased framerates. But then i noticed outside of games pictures or just websites would get artifacts (not sure if thats what they are but they're like little yellow streaks of pixels ,sorta like when your card overheats) I lowered my clocks and it still didnt fix it. I try'd two more bios's, still didnt work. Now recently i started Far Cry....ten minutes in i get a blue screen saying i get a memory right or read error....sometimes it gives me an odd video card memory error or something like that. Ive tried everything i can. Now this started happening in ALL my games....they just crash with no errors, or they too get the blue screen.Some blue screens i get a high pitched ring ,and an irq error as well. Now your going to tell me just flash it back to a 5900Nu and see if that works. Thing is ...i cant. I get the bios downloaded but i have to change the device id to a 5950 ultras so everything matches and it lets me do it. I tried it in X-Bios Edit, the device id only goes up to 332 (5900 SE) i need to get it to 333 (5950U) and the 5900 NU is 331. I tried flashing anyways, got the error that it doesnt match up. I tried a overwrite just to ignore not match ups and it still wouldnt let me. I also get some BSOD errors sometimes from it..they all seem to stem from the videocard. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Do you see this during post and at boot time? If so, then the card might very well be damaged. Otherwise if not, and if its just during d3d - something might have got corrupted. Goto run command line in XP and type dxdiag and let the util check your d3d subsystem.
__________________
Coolermaster ATC
P4 2.8c @ 14x258
875P NEO FIS2R
2x200GB SATA RAID0
1024MB KHX DDR500
5950 Ultra
XP SP2 v.2096
3DMark03 Score: 7238
Aquamark3 Score: 57466
fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-04, 09:36 PM   #4
Cota
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 619
Default Re: HELP! I need advice on fixing 5900

did you use the backup bios to flash back?

I flashed my bfg 5900nu to 5950u, using the leadtek bios I got artifacts in 2d with videos and web pages. Flashing it again using the bfg 5950 bios solved the problem.
Cota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-04, 09:47 PM   #5
CaiNaM
Registered User
 
CaiNaM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 563
Default Re: HELP! I need advice on fixing 5900

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=DVS=-
RMA it and say your 5950 got defective memory if lucky you might get new 5950,
Other then that your memory might be burned......or gpu , then your screwed
might try the correct bios for the card. as far as rma, flashing the bios voids all manufacturer's warranties.
__________________
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.
CaiNaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-04, 10:04 PM   #6
fury
W.O.T.
 
fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 43
Send a message via AIM to fury Send a message via MSN to fury
Default Re: HELP! I need advice on fixing 5900

Try this download nvflash 4.41 put that on your boot disk along with the original or same bios and at the dos command prompt:

nvflash -p -u -r -j *.bin (*.bin = what ever the name of the bios is)

That will override the pci block and get your card flashed back to see if its just the bios.

Good luck
__________________
Coolermaster ATC
P4 2.8c @ 14x258
875P NEO FIS2R
2x200GB SATA RAID0
1024MB KHX DDR500
5950 Ultra
XP SP2 v.2096
3DMark03 Score: 7238
Aquamark3 Score: 57466
fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-04, 10:09 AM   #7
SkylineR34
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 26
Default Re: HELP! I need advice on fixing 5900

Well, i flashed it back no more errors but there is still a problem....the card if overheating at stock clock speeds. It goes up to 45 at idle! When I play far cry it almost instantly gets artifacting and textures shooting all over the place.
SkylineR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-04, 10:21 AM   #8
Carbon Unit
GeForce 3 Ti 200
 
Carbon Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saint Louis, Missouri
Posts: 265
Send a message via AIM to Carbon Unit
Default Re: HELP! I need advice on fixing 5900

Sounds like you have case venilation issues, or your power supply is to weak
__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @3.6Ghz
CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50 water cooler
Mushkin PC2-6400 4-4-4-12 ~ 8gb
ASUS P5N-E SLI
EVGA 9800 GT 512 mb
Crucial M225 128gb SSD
Creative Labs XFi
LIAN LI PC-V2000Bplus II Black Aluminum Server Computer Case
Corsair 750w psu
Samsung 2343BWX 23" LCD 2048 x 1152
Carbon Unit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-04, 10:22 AM   #9
spuk0
Maha Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 29
Default Re: HELP! I need advice on fixing 5900

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineR34
Now your going to tell me just flash it back to a 5900Nu and see if that works. Thing is ...i cant. I get the bios downloaded but i have to change the device id to a 5950 ultras so everything matches and it lets me do it. I tried it in X-Bios Edit, the device id only goes up to 332 (5900 SE) i need to get it to 333 (5950U) and the 5900 NU is 331. I tried flashing anyways, got the error that it doesnt match up. I tried a overwrite just to ignore not match ups and it still wouldnt let me. I also get some BSOD errors sometimes from it..they all seem to stem from the videocard. Any help is greatly appreciated.
FYI

95% of Se and XT cards "memory" can't handle the extreme overclock. Most are 2.8ns / 2.5ns and very few with 2.2ns
Most NU/Ultras are 2.2ns
5950 are 2.0ns

However the SE/XT have fasted latencies, then the NU/U then the 5950 the slowest therefore allowing faster clocks. Many SE/XT ram don't go well with the 5950s latencies and clock speeds.

Why are you changing the IDs? Did you save the original BIOS file?
Hopefully you didn't burn up your RAM, you should've been reading more about flashing, especially over at Guru3D. I tell you they get lots of dumb people posting trying to flash every card in the book.

If you saved the original leave it alone, download or find the Leadtek WFFLASH utility, I've only used this one to flash my cards with. I feel it works better at getting around errors when you use the -NM command.

WFFLASH -NM file.rom
Works everytime for me.

You can try over at Guru3d Nvidia forum and we guys that are actually modding the XT BIOS files now. I've flashed 8 different BIOS for testing. Currently using my original 5900NU with 5950 core-volt mod.

Also if you ruined your card be a man and eat the cost, don't be trying to RMA it cause you and others don't know exactly what your doing.
spuk0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-04, 10:31 AM   #10
SkylineR34
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 26
Default Re: HELP! I need advice on fixing 5900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
Sounds like you have case venilation issues, or your power supply is to weak

My case has plenty of ventalation...with the 5950U bios it would stay BELOW 50 on the card at all times, and my power supply is 400w. I tried new drivers and still, its overheating at stock settings.....Spuk0 i knew what i was doing and the risks involved, i dont plan on trying to rma cause its simply not honest. I had to change the id's cause NVFlash required them to match to flash. But i tried fury's suggestion and the flash worked. Im using Revision 3 of PNY's 5900 NU bios now. I was thinking maybe the problem is the memory is still volt modded. I read that once you flash to a 5950U the fan speed is increased as well as the memory voltage ...but the memory is permanent. So when i flashed back the fan speed went back to normal again and the memory stayed higher and its over heating due to not enough cooling on the card (remember this card is now STOCK,the bios revision was originally 2 before i flashed but i flashed to a rev3 now)
SkylineR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-04, 10:39 AM   #11
SkylineR34
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 26
Default Re: HELP! I need advice on fixing 5900

Is there any way i can manually increase the videocard fan speed? Maybe through a Hex edit in the driver or bios. What about using a 5900XT bios (even though i was pretty sure they are slower than a 5900NU)
SkylineR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-04, 01:00 PM   #12
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.
 
-=DVS=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Outerspace
Posts: 3,009
Talking Re: HELP! I need advice on fixing 5900

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaiNaM
might try the correct bios for the card. as far as rma, flashing the bios voids all manufacturer's warranties.
Reread my post it was a joke since his card is flashed to 5950 he could trick some sales person that it is defective 5950 and get replacement
__________________
.:. Lian Li X500FX .:. i7 2600k .:. PNY GTX 680 .:. Corsair DDR3 8GB .:. Silverstone 800W PSU .:. Asus P8P67-M Pro .:. Crucial M4 SSD 512GB .:.
-=DVS=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need your guys advice with this build.. anything should be added or removed? hirantha CPUs, Motherboards And Memory 12 05-18-12 08:36 PM
Need some motherboard advice please scott123 CPUs, Motherboards And Memory 6 10-04-02 10:34 AM
Need advice on GeForce4 Ti 4200 cards marqmajere NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series 40 09-26-02 01:01 AM
Suse 8.0 on Nforce - advice hastings NVIDIA Linux 3 08-25-02 04:27 AM
Advice on a CD-RW/DVD Player joltcola General Hardware 10 08-16-02 05:50 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.