Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-29-04, 03:37 PM   #1
Ijin

Default nVidia driver problem.

Hello,

I've been doing a lot of research on this problem that I'm having with mandrake 10.0, and have found a lot of solutions---none of which have worked. Here's my deal:

I have an nVidia Geforce 4 TI4600, and when I try to load "X", the screen either blanks out, or goes to command line. I read that this was due to my driver, so I downloaded the kernel, installed it, and installed the driver. Still doesn't work.

I had my teacher (a linux instructor) at my school look at it, and after three hours he couldn't figure it out. Any of you have any ideas?

I'll post my log if you want it.

Thanks,

Ijin
Ijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-04, 04:04 PM   #2
Black Dog

Default Re: nVidia driver problem.

I have a similar problem. I have the same card- GF4 4600 Ti and Mandrake 10.

I also installed the drivers, after installing the Linux kernel's source so the drivers could build themselves a module.

I edited the XF86Config-4 file in /etc/X11. Logged out, logged back in, and the huge Nvidia logo flashes up, no problem.

RTCW ET runs no problem, and everything's OK until I reboot or cold boot. On starting X, the whole lot keels over saying that it can't find any screens, and that there are modules/drivers available, but none that X can use. I can log in and out to a console no problem. X starts fine.

If I just reinstall the drivers, it also re-builds it's module, works fine until I reboot.

This was not necessary under Mandrake 9.2 which I had installed before.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-04, 07:37 PM   #3
MNKyDeth

Send a message via AIM to MNKyDeth

It's most likely due to the 2.6 kernel and the way it is setup. You need to load the module everytime the computer is rebooted. If the driver installed fine, after a reboot type modprob nvidia and then do the startx. Or add the nvidia module name to the modules.conf or modprob.conf wichever you use.

I use Arch linux wich has a module section in the /etc/rc.conf all I do is add the name nvidia to the modules section and every reboot or startup the I can go straight to X.

It's actually not a driver problem to my knowledge, it is the way the kernel is used because of the module-init-tools instead of what it used with the 2.4 kernels. It's just not refined yet I think.
MNKyDeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-04, 03:49 AM   #4
Orphyss

I had got the same. Open your XF86config-4 and ad those line in the device section.

Driver "nvidia"
Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "DFP, TV"

May be it will fix your problem.
thank justin1171 who find this solution

Last edited by Orphyss; 04-30-04 at 04:09 AM.
Orphyss is offline   Reply With Quote