Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-02-04, 05:30 PM   #1
Theely

Default Win2k Freezing.

Greetings all, having a sick prob here.

As the title says, I'm running win2k pro with the gf4 440 mx (all the specs in the sig). My problem is computer freezing when I'm playing games. It will lock to almost all games that I have tried playing, full releses and demos. So far, the only two that I have got to run without any freezing are Everquest (with all expansions cept the last one) and Saga of Ryzom (owns everquest imho).

Sometimes when the games freeze the I'll get an odd high pitch sound that comes from the stereo speakers (not the little system speaker). When the comp locks up its completely frozen, no ctrl+alt+delete, so I have to reset it to restart it. I was wondering if anyone could maybe help me solve this annoying act.

Please reply with suggestiongs and requests for more information.

Thanks,
Theely
160GB Ultra ATA HD @ 7200rpms
nVidia GeForce FX 5700 256MB
SoundBlaster Live 5.1
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+
Theely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-04, 02:25 AM   #2
fury
W.O.T.

Send a message via AIM to fury Send a message via MSN to fury
Default Re: Win2k Freezing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theely
Greetings all, having a sick prob here.

As the title says, I'm running win2k pro with the gf4 440 mx (all the specs in the sig). My problem is computer freezing when I'm playing games. It will lock to almost all games that I have tried playing, full releses and demos. So far, the only two that I have got to run without any freezing are Everquest (with all expansions cept the last one) and Saga of Ryzom (owns everquest imho).

Sometimes when the games freeze the I'll get an odd high pitch sound that comes from the stereo speakers (not the little system speaker). When the comp locks up its completely frozen, no ctrl+alt+delete, so I have to reset it to restart it. I was wondering if anyone could maybe help me solve this annoying act.

Please reply with suggestiongs and requests for more information.

Thanks,
Theely

Hmm this could be a few different things, I would say delete all drivers off the system & use a nvidia file remover to be absolutely sure ALL files are gone, then download some older drivers like 44.67 or 44.90 and try those out.

Update your Direct X and see what happens...
2x200GB SATA RAID0
1024MB KHX DDR500
5950 Ultra
XP SP2 v.2096
3DMark03 Score: 7238
Aquamark3 Score: 57466
fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-04, 02:36 AM   #3
mattkenn_4545

Just a thought maybe you should try disabling / unpluging soundcard. An el cheepo sound blaster 512 that I used to use would cause extreme lockups/slowdowns even on relatively simple games.
OCZ DDR Booster
eVGA G-Force 6800GT 400/1200
Antec Truepower 2.0 with Truecontrol 550W
Western Digital Caviar SE's (2x 250GB & 300GB)
Seagate 7200rpm (2x 160 raid 0)
Lite-On SOHW-1673S Duel Layer DVD burner
Samsung 990DF 19' CRT Monitor
Microsoft Wireless Elite Keyboard & Mouse
Haven't even tried to OC this yet this is just the beginning
mattkenn_4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-04, 07:21 AM   #4
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

I'm willing to bet at least part of your problem would have some resolution by reading this thread. There's a link to a Guru3D news post with additional information in it.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-04, 07:22 PM   #5
Theely

I tried some of things that you posted. I used different drivers, removed my SoundBlaster Live 5.1 and even put in a different card (Radeon 9800 Pro). After all of that, each time the computer froze. To top it off, I return my computer to its original state (the one mensioned in me sig) and today it froze when playing Saga Ryzom, something that has never done before.

I use to have a Intel Celeron 766Mhz processor. That was not good enough for me and I got the 1.4Ghz, both of which have the same bus speed/slot/etc. Could this be the problem? I find it hard to believe that it is plus I got rid of the old processor

Sometimes I swear computers are

Any more ideas please.

Thank,
Theely
SoundBlaster Live 5.1
Old 05-05-04, 09:48 AM   #6
Rytr
SuperMod

Check your ram if you have not already.
Also, are your temps running high on the processor? Might want to make sure you have good processor/heatsink contact and application of thermal paste.
Rytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-04, 04:15 PM   #7
Theely

Not exactly sure on how to check the RAM, how does one do that?

I'll look in on the thermal paste, I'll go and buy some and reply it just to make sure.

Thank for the ideas.

Theely
SoundBlaster Live 5.1
Old 05-05-04, 04:48 PM   #8
Rytr
SuperMod

First, let me say that it does sound like a sound card issue but you have checked that.

There are software programs that can check your ram for errors and the best are free downloads from the net. However, your system needs to be somewhat stable to run the software.

Side-stepping that I would first remove one stick of ram, if you have two installed. Boot up and see if the problem is still there with the one stick, then, try the other. If it works with one but not the other you have potentially found the problem. If you have only one stick try borrowing one from a friend that is compatible with your motherboard.

If the problem still persists I would try running a program such as memtest86 that can be found free on the net for download. Errors that could cause your problem generally show up in the first or second test.

Those are a couple of ways to test the ram to make sure it is good.

On thermal paste, remember to apply just a paper thin coat as too much will cause heat build up and give you the same type of problems.

There are other potential culprits including the power supply and the video card itself.

Keep us up on how it goes. I am sure that there is someone here that can help you find the problem. Good luck!
Rytr is offline   Reply With Quote