Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-05-04, 01:56 AM   #1
tmoble

Default mandrake 10 on A7N266, great except tux racer

Don't laugh, my 6 year old son is a Tux Racer fanatic.

After killing the better part of four days trying to Fedora to run right on my nforce, I DL'd Mandrake 10 Community Edition, installed. It recognized all the nvidia stuff, seemed to go really well. I got up on net, got email, burned a CD, surfed, all that. I'm happy, it runs good. But, (there's always a but) when I brought up Tux Racer it's running at about 1FPS--literally. I had this with Fedora, but when I finally got the nvidia drivers to work it was fixed. Now, Mandrake 10 everything works but Tux is too slow to run. I've searched a lot, can't find this issue addressed anywhere. It might be some openGL problem? I noticed when I had Tux or Chromium up the terminal window I had got all hosed up. Typed in repetive chars, long pauses, all that.
anybody got any bright ideas?

BTW, I admin Solaris boxes in my day job so I'm not completely helpless, but I don't know where to start debugging this problem, or do I just need an updated driver or something? I don't see much in the messages file that's helpful. Somebody mentioned something about checking the dma mode of the disk? it's using dma.

Thx for any help.

Tom

Last edited by tmoble; 05-05-04 at 01:58 AM. Reason: i kan spel betr than that
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-04, 02:17 AM   #2
hppnq

Default Re: mandrake 10 on A7N266, great except tux racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoble
Don't laugh, my 6 year old son is a Tux Racer fanatic.
Aren't we all. ;-)

The problem might be related to the fact that the Nvidia driver comes with its own openGL libraries -- you have to make sure that applications use these, not the ones that came with the distribution. The README that is included with the Nvidia driver will tell you exactly how to check this, and how to correct it if necessary. (It is available online too, btw.)

Hope that works for you!
hppnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-04, 12:23 AM   #3
tmoble

Default Re: mandrake 10 on A7N266, great except tux racer

hppnq, thanks for taking time to reply. I can look that stuff up and fix it now that I have a pointer. My son thanks you too. he sez you're cool.

Tom
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote