Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-15-04, 01:23 PM   #25
pschaff
Old Geek
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8
Default Re: Nvidia 5336 driver with Fedora Core 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppnq
It works the following way:

. install the kernel sources (kernel-source-2.6.5-1.315)
. install the kernel SRPM (kernel-2.6.5-1.315.src.rpm)
. cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.5-1.315
. patch -R -p1 < ../redhat/SOURCES/linux-2.6.5-nostack.patch

Now configure, compile and install the kernel and reboot into a non-graphical runlevel (2 or 3).
Uninstall and re-install the Nvidia driver. Everything should be fine now. Not extremely stable, but at least you can now switch back and forth between VTs.

Good luck. ;-)
This will work for FC2T2 kernels, but the option will go away altogether when the mainline 2.6.6 kernel comes out with standard 4k stacks when this patch is accepted, if things go according to plan in the kernel developement world. NVidia needs to get on the bandwagon now and come out with a beta driver for the 2.6.6 and future kernels (or better yet, provide an open source driver). A post about such to the fedora-test-list will find plenty of willing and able testers.

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedor.../msg01643.html

Phil

Last edited by pschaff; 04-15-04 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Fix 8k typo, clarify kernel development direction.
pschaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-04, 01:40 PM   #26
hppnq
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Dutch
Posts: 113
Default Re: Nvidia 5336 driver with Fedora Core 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschaff
This will work for now, but the option will go away when the mainline 2.6.6 kernel comes out with standard 8k stacks and no patch. NVidia needs to get on the bandwagon now and come out with a beta driver for the 2.6.6 and future kernels.
Correct. If Nvidia doesn't come up with a fix it will probably get harder and harder to use the Nvidia driver with post-2.6.5 kernels.

<rant>
The right thing for Nvidia to do is to make their drivers Open Source, obviously. I would not recommend or choose Nvidia hardware for business purposes, since the Nvidia driver is not and will never be industrial strength quality. Which is very annoying, since obviously Nvidia's engineers are capable enough, but apparently their license forces them to produce drivers of inferior quality.
</rant>

Sorry about that. ;-)
hppnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-04, 02:12 PM   #27
pzgren
Registered User
 
pzgren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 107
Default Re: Nvidia 5336 driver with Fedora Core 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppnq
Correct. If Nvidia doesn't come up with a fix it will probably get harder and harder to use the Nvidia driver with post-2.6.5 kernels.
Hey, what a fix for? For everybody out here: Its CONFIG_REGPARM and not CONFIG_4KSTACKS, as you see below! Who has invent this lie?

...
# CONFIG_REGPARM is not set
...
# Kernel hacking
#
# CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL is not set
CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK=y
# CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK_SLEEP is not set
# CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER is not set
CONFIG_4KSTACKS=y
# CONFIG_SCHEDSTATS is not set

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppnq
<rant>
The right thing for Nvidia to do is to make their drivers Open Source, obviously. I would not recommend or choose Nvidia hardware for business purposes, since the Nvidia driver is not and will never be industrial strength quality. Which is very annoying, since obviously Nvidia's engineers are capable enough, but apparently their license forces them to produce drivers of inferior quality.
</rant>

Sorry about that. ;-)
But the drivers are in mainline for business and not for us little customers. And they will never be in this form OpenSource. Read the contract/press release by SGI and nVidia.

And for all nice amused Fedora users. Look in the .config of your Fedora kernel, if debugging and other slowdowns are activated, cause of developement. Also for ext3 and reiserfs stats and debugging...

Marcus
pzgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-04, 02:24 PM   #28
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer
 
LordMorgul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 872
Default Re: Nvidia 5336 driver with Fedora Core 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzgren
Hey, what a fix for? For everybody out here: Its CONFIG_REGPARM and not CONFIG_4KSTACKS, as you see below! Who has invent this lie?

...
# CONFIG_REGPARM is not set

<snip>

CONFIG_4KSTACKS=y
Register parameters appear to work fine with the driver, earlier posts by myself mentioned that this may be related to the problems with Fedora rawhide (fc2 test2) kernels.. this was not correct. The primary issue is the stack change, which is there in your post. REGPARM will remain as an option (which works either way) but 4KSTACKS will be merged permanently to the mainline kernel.
__________________
"..the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." (Edmond Burke)
nVIDIA video driver RPMs for Fedora :: see yum repo at livna.org.
LordMorgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-04, 03:23 PM   #29
pzgren
Registered User
 
pzgren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 107
Default Re: Nvidia 5336 driver with Fedora Core 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMorgul
Register parameters appear to work fine with the driver, earlier posts by myself mentioned that this may be related to the problems with Fedora rawhide (fc2 test2) kernels.. this was not correct. The primary issue is the stack change, which is there in your post. REGPARM will remain as an option (which works either way) but 4KSTACKS will be merged permanently to the mainline kernel.
It can not be the stack change to 4kb for better performance, when It runs all times with all last 2.6.* here with no probs. Or have I an wonder nVdidia binary driver or an other rawhide Fedora for years?

---> /usr/src/linux-2.6.5-mm6

[ ] Use register arguments (EXPERIMENTAL)
Compile the kernel with -mregparm=3. This uses an different ABI
and passes the first three arguments of a function call in registers.
This will probably break binary only modules.

------------------------------------------
[*] Use 4Kb for kernel stacks instead of 8Kb
If you say Y here the kernel will use a 4Kb stacksize for the
kernel stack attached to each process/thread. This facilitates
running more threads on a system and also reduces the pressure
on the VM subsystem for higher order allocations. This option
will also use IRQ stacks to compensate for the reduced stackspace.

Marcus
pzgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-04, 05:14 PM   #30
hppnq
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Dutch
Posts: 113
Default Re: Nvidia 5336 driver with Fedora Core 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzgren
It can not be the stack change to 4kb for better performance, when It runs all times with all last 2.6.* here with no probs. Or have I an wonder nVdidia binary driver or an other rawhide Fedora for years?
Are you just trolling or haven't you tried switching to a VT and back, for instance? There is no doubt you can run a kernel w/ 4K stack and the 5336 driver, as long as you don't do anything exciting and you keep your fingers crossed.

Please read up and do a little testing.
hppnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-04, 06:14 PM   #31
harm26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1
Default Re: Nvidia 5336 driver with Fedora Core 2

No wonder the driver doesn't work with 4K stacks. the nvidia drivers seems to use huge amounts of stack. It even wonders me that it actually works with 8K stacks.
Lots of functions in the driver that take (4K, 2K, 1K each). Image what happens when an interrupt kicks in when the driver just used 7KB, and the ISR assumes it can safely use 2KB.

To the nvidia developers: search the net for the checkstack.pl tool. It is _very_ usefull in determining big stack (ab)users.
[harm@node-d-8d2e c]$ objdump -d /lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o | ./checkstack.pl
0xb6ff3 _nv002427rm: sub $0x908,%esp (almost 4K !)
0x7ff93 _nv003775rm: sub $0x64c,%esp ( ~1-2K)
0x21fd3 _nv000899rm: sub $0x648,%esp
f53f: 81 ec 94 05 00 00 sub $0x594,%esp
_nv003402rm: sub $0x594,%esp
0x10247 _nv003354rm: sub $0x520,%esp
0x42633 _nv003333rm: sub $0x4a8,%esp
0x100bb _nv003353rm: sub $0x490,%esp
0x842ff _nv004811rm: sub $0x41c,%esp (1K from here)
harm26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-04, 11:20 PM   #32
pzgren
Registered User
 
pzgren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 107
Default Re: Nvidia 5336 driver with Fedora Core 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppnq
Are you just trolling or haven't you tried switching to a VT and back, for instance? There is no doubt you can run a kernel w/ 4K stack and the 5336 driver, as long as you don't do anything exciting and you keep your fingers crossed.
Please read up and do a little testing.
I test a lot.
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...04.1/0334.html

as I said with 4kb stack, if available.

Maybe you should't compile a kernel with a framebuffer device...with the nV binary drivers and you can switch...

Marcus
pzgren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-04, 09:14 PM   #33
slriv
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2
Default Re: Nvidia 5336 driver with Fedora Core 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppnq
<rant>
The right thing for Nvidia to do is to make their drivers Open Source, obviously. I would not recommend or choose Nvidia hardware for business purposes, since the Nvidia driver is not and will never be industrial strength quality. Which is very annoying, since obviously Nvidia's engineers are capable enough, but apparently their license forces them to produce drivers of inferior quality.
</rant>

Sorry about that. ;-)
No.... the right thing to have been done is to not release a distribution where 50% of the possible users can't even use it. I'm pissed off at Fedora, not nvidia. I agree with your sentiments, but that's really another problem.
slriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-04, 09:43 PM   #34
cacruden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 11
Default Re: Nvidia 5336 driver with Fedora Core 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slriv
No.... the right thing to have been done is to not release a distribution where 50% of the possible users can't even use it. I'm pissed off at Fedora, not nvidia. I agree with your sentiments, but that's really another problem.
Hmmm... Lets see, nVidia will not work on the drivers UNLESS it is a release version -- they will not work on drivers DURING the beta process.

So Fedora would NEVER be able to release using 4K stacks since there are NO OTHER OPTIONS. 4K stacks are required to improve performance of Java applications (websphere, Weblogic, etc are based on Java)

There are many different choices in distributions that out of the box will still support the nVidia drivers as is (including Fedora 1) -- don't move until the drivers are updated! Unfortunately there are not many different sources for nVidia 3D drivers
cacruden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 02:27 AM   #35
baz2a
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7
Default Re: Nvidia 5336 driver with Fedora Core 2

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...6&postcount=29


Just got NVIDIA 5336 drivers working on GeForce FX 5600, FC 2 Final, kernel 2.6.6 (yes that's kernel 2.6.6 I said) and KDE 3.2.2. Posted results in forum. Take a look if having probs. with FC2 and NVIDIA.

HTH,
Ben Z
baz2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 11:14 AM   #36
cacruden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 11
Default Re: Nvidia 5336 driver with Fedora Core 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz2a
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...6&postcount=29


Just got NVIDIA 5336 drivers working on GeForce FX 5600, FC 2 Final, kernel 2.6.6 (yes that's kernel 2.6.6 I said) and KDE 3.2.2. Posted results in forum. Take a look if having probs. with FC2 and NVIDIA.

HTH,
Ben Z
I have not had problems getting the kernel from kernel.org and compiling it, since it still [temporarily] allows 8K stacks (as a default). The problem is that the stock kernel on the Fedora distribution was tested with 4K stacks and was released that way since that is the direction things are headed. 4K stacks allow Java (and other threaded) applications to work more efficiently. Unfortunately nVidia will only work on drivers on release versions so someone always has to take a hit (distribution-wise).
cacruden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
nvidia driver quality decrease? legluondunet NVIDIA Linux 17 06-26-12 11:03 AM
NVIDIA Driver Installation flores.facundo NVIDIA Linux 2 06-24-12 09:37 AM
Need Help Installing NVIDIA Tesla M2070Q in Linux RHEL5 Ferianto85 NVIDIA Linux 0 05-18-12 09:35 PM
Getting the proprietary nvidia driver to run with Debian 3.0 r0 (woody) Katchina404 NVIDIA Linux 9 01-12-03 09:49 AM
nvidia + 2.4.19 gentoo = messed up ulukay NVIDIA Linux 18 11-02-02 12:58 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.