Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-23-04, 05:02 PM   #25
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Default Re: Fedora Core 2 drivers (possibly a solution)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanA
I followed the steps to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.6 which worked ok. But after installing the nVidia drivers and the doing a reboot it's will not boot up. The system hangs for about 10 minutes after the "unpacking Linux... Ok, blablabla", then it totaly freezes a few steps later.
Did the new kernel 2.6.6 that you compiled boot before installing the driver? Installing and/or using the driver should not change or damage the kernel itself.. if it booted before it should still boot. If the boot cycle continues any passed 'uncompressing linux..' write down the last few lines you see, or take a snapshot of the screen with a digi camera
Old 05-23-04, 07:10 PM   #26
jazzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanA
I followed the steps to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.6 which worked ok. But after installing the nVidia drivers and the doing a reboot it's will not boot up. The system hangs for about 10 minutes after the "unpacking Linux... Ok, blablabla", then it totaly freezes a few steps later.
When booting with the 2.6.5-1.358 kernel everything goes well, but after that I can't use the nVidia drivers (and after the update I did it will not boot up X).

So, my best hunch is that it is the 4K stack thing which is messing up my boot with 2.6.5-1.358, so how can I disable that now?
When you recompiled the kernel did you change any options other than the 4k Stacks option? Does it stop at, say "Kernel panic : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on *"? If so, I'd recompile the kernel again and make sure you've got you're harddisk controller (IDE/SCSI) builtin to the kernel and not as a module. Also make sure you've got your root/boot partition fs type (likely ext3 fs) support compiled into the kernel (ie not a module either). Either can cause a kernel panic. This, is just a guess 'cause you haven't offered more information.

Personally, if you're not comfortable recompiling the kernel than you should stick to the open source nv driver until nvidia releases an updated driver which I would expect shortly. Would be nice if Redhat/Fedora would offer another kernel RPM you could install for the short term.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-04, 08:36 PM   #27
StefanA

LordMorgul: here is an image which describes where everything stops ( and yes, I use a digital camera )

http://www.sanders-animation.com/stuck.jpg

btw, disregard the "last row" I pressed the keyboard since the screensaver took over.

jazzer: I didnt change anything at all. I took the config-2.6.6.txt file and did everthing as the "howto" said. I wish I could use the nv driver, but I need 3D acceleration to work with Softimage. So at this point its either going back to Redhat 8 or Windows... or if nVidia tells us they will have a new driver for download within the next few days. I wouldn't mind using a beta driver if they had one, even if it were on my "own risk"

The machine I'm using is a single p4 2.4GHz, 1 GB ram, 160GB IDE drives, PNY Quadro4 780 XGL card

best regards

stefan andersson
p.s. The machine first hangs after printing "audit(1085364877.373:0): initialized", then after 10 minutes it goes to where the image shows.. and no further...
StefanA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-04, 09:07 PM   #28
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

StefanA: try using this kernel rpm (if you're comfortable with using a non-signed binary built by a community member... I've booted it myself). It is a recent rawhide kernel just before release of FC2 that still works when 4k stacks and regparm are turned off -- it may run the nvidia drivers for your kernel.
http://www.lyricnz.com/linux/patches....root.i686.rpm

The problem you're seeing is odd.. there are boot delays known with SATA drives, especially if the probing is not disabled, but that should not happen with an IDE drive. There are perhaps other issues at work with your kernel rebuild. The screen pic shows that the mount of root was in progress or just completed.. so the issue could be caused with something in init. Try booting to runlevel 1 and see if it succeeds.. then try runlevel 3, to boot to those runlevels add the integer digit to the end of the kernel parameter line in grub.
Old 05-25-04, 02:19 AM   #29
baz2a

Default Re: The Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogetbilo
OK, I had a hard time installing NVIDIA drivers on FC2. I tried various kernels including 2.6.5, 2.6.5-1.358, 2.6.2, 2.6.6. I succeed to get it working with 2.6.2 and 2.6.6.
I think some people who are unexperienced in compiling a kernel need some help.
Here is everything you need
SOMEONE MAKE THIS STICKY, WORKS GREAT!
YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!! LET ME TWEAK THIS UP A LITTLE BIT, BUT FOLLOWED ALONG GREAT! 5336 WORKING LIKE A CHAMP AT LAST

# cd /usr/src
(in FC2 I go GUI if all possible, just used "File Manager - Super User Mode" in K Menu

# wget h ttp://www.kernel.org/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.6.tar.bz2 (without space on http)
(or download the 2.6.6 kernel from your favorite mirror)
# tar jxvf linux-2.6.6.tar.bz2
# \rm linux
(could never figure this command out, but what I did was use Mozilla to get kernel, saved to Desktop, brought up a xterm and ran tar command. Once I had the kernel unzipped, dragged to /usr/src/ in konqueror in super user.
# ln -sf linux-2.6.6 linux
(couldn't figure this out, didn't use it)

# cd /usr/src/linux
(on my machine it's cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.6)
* go to http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...597#post326597
* download the config-2.6.6.txt Omnifarius posted on post #9 and put it in this directory
(did this dropped file into super mode konqueror /usr/src/linux-2.6.6)

# make mrproper
(did this from xterm /usr/src/linux-2.6.6)

# mv config-2.6.6.txt .config
(did not do this, again went the way of GUI)

# make xconfig
(did this)

* you don´t need to change many things, you can disable the drivers for the unnecessary devices. (but I disabled the CONFIG_REGPARM setting in the CPU settings because I heard it may cause trouble, agree, read that several places)
(in particular look for "Use 4kb for kernel stacks instead of 8kb" under the Kernel Hacking menu. also CONFIG_REGPARM is "Use register arguments (EXPERIMENTAL)" under Processor Types and Features menu.

*save (to .config) and exit

# make
# make modules_install
# make install

(this installs the new kernel and modifies grub.conf (or lilo.conf))
(used grub, all was automatic and sweet)

and that´s it.

(Actually if using GUI (KDE 3.2.2 is very nice), need to drop to init 3. Then surf over to the folder where you saved the file NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336.pkg1.run from NVIDIA's website) sh NVIDIA blah blah blah filename. Recompiles NVIDIA driver and exit, emac /etc/inittab again. change init mode from 3 to 5, save changed inittab.

All you need after is to reboot your computer, select the new kernel on grub
and uninstall/reinstall your NVIDIA driver after bootup.

(dont forget to modify your XF86Config (or xorg.conf whichever is present) appropriately)
Gotta gotta change driver from "nv" to "nvidia".

restart X server
(i rebooted)

NVIDIA Logo, and lo and behold, there's my lovely lil' gdm, asking me to log in. All is well running kernel 2.6.6, NVIDIA driver 5336, and kde 3.2.2 on Fedora Core 2.

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction, was really lost without quick fixes of some Q3 or UT2004 lovin'.

go play some tuxracer

Thanks again,
Ben Z
baz2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 02:35 AM   #30
ogetbilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz2a
Thanks again,
Ben Z

(couldn't figure this out, didn't use it)

# cd /usr/src/linux
(on my machine it's cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.6)

hey no problem

these above lines make a symbolic folder called 'linux' that is pointing to the folder 'linux-2.6.6'. so when you go into /usr/src/linux you actually go to /usr/src/linux-2.6.6.
This process is called 'symbolic linking.

What you have done is totally the same thing. Actually the folder /usr/src/linux is used for traditional reasons

I am glad I've been helpful
ogetbilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 10:06 AM   #31
rebus

Lightbulb Re: Fedora Core 2 drivers (possibly a solution)

Hello,
I have some temporary workaround for you, who don't want to compile your own kernels.
If you need nvidia acceleration to work in FC2, you can use some older kernel from test releases of Fedora Core2 (I have tested the one from FC2 test1, but FC2 test2 kernel should be fine too. )
This should work until the proper driver is released from nvidia.

SRC RPMS of nvidia drivers suitable for FC2 can be found on :
http://rebus.webz.cz/#nvidia
rebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 03:32 PM   #32
Bun-Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogetbilo
OK, I had a hard time installing NVIDIA drivers on FC2. I tried various kernels including 2.6.5, 2.6.5-1.358, 2.6.2, 2.6.6. I succeed to get it working with 2.6.2 and 2.6.6.
I think some people who are unexperienced in compiling a kernel need some help.
Here is everything you need

# cd /usr/src
# wget h ttp://www.kernel.org/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.6.tar.bz2 (without space on http)
(or download the 2.6.6 kernel from your favorite mirror)
# tar jxvf linux-2.6.6.tar.bz2
# \rm linux
# cd /usr/src/linux

* go to http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...597#post326597
* download the config-2.6.6.txt Omnifarius posted on post #9 and put it in this directory
# make mrproper
# mv config-2.6.6.txt .config

# make xconfig

* you don´t need to change many things, you can disable the drivers for the unnecessary devices. (but I disabled the CONFIG_REGPARM setting in the CPU settings because I heard it may cause trouble)

*save (to .config) and exit

# make
# make modules_install
# make install

(this installs the new kernel and modifies grub.conf (or lilo.conf))

and that´s it. All you need after is to reboot your computer, select the new kernel on grub (or lilo). and uninstall/reinstall your NVIDIA driver after bootup. (dont forget to modify your XF86Config (or xorg.conf whichever is present) appropriately)

restart X server

go play some tuxracer
Thank-you so much !!! ^^

I did exactly that and my drivers are working perfect now. 350 FPS in Quake3 just like windows ^^ I had to compile it about 5 times cause the first time I did it the kernel was unable to mount my /root fs for some odd reason and I couldnt figure it out until I decided just to use that config file you gave there and only change my cpu and the regapart.

Thx again ^^
Yin|Asus Maximus Formula|D-Tek Fuzion -> GTX240 -> DDC+ w/ Petra's|Kentsfield QX6700 @ 3.6GHz (TBA)|2x2 GB OCZ Platinum PC2-8500|EVGA GTX280|2x500 GB Hitatchi P7K500(Raid-0)|Plextor 755-SA|X-Fi Elite Pro|Seasonic M12-700|Lian-Li PC-6077B (Heavily Modded)
Bun-Bun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-04, 05:47 PM   #33
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebus
Hello,
I have some temporary workaround for you, who don't want to compile your own kernels.
If you need nvidia acceleration to work in FC2, you can use some older kernel from test releases of Fedora Core2 (I have tested the one from FC2 test1, but FC2 test2 kernel should be fine too. )
This should work until the proper driver is released from nvidia.

SRC RPMS of nvidia drivers suitable for FC2 can be found on :
http://rebus.webz.cz/#nvidia
I can verify this is correct, I currently am running kernel-2.6.5-1.327 that is patched for bootsplash. I have rebuilt the Fedora Rawhide (test releases..) kernels up to kernel-2.6.5-1.344 successfully to work with the nVIDIA driver using a method similar to what you will find at: http://www.lyricnz.com/linux/patches/nvidia/

The patch at that site is written for -1.358 (the FC2 release kernel) but that kernel will not work.. an older kernel must be used but the same things are necessary: change the configs installed to your rpmbuild root (get rid of the famous options..), edit the specfile to not apply the nostack patch (it is patch number 200), then rebuild the kernel using rpmbuild. This is a great option for anyone who must get a working setup on more than one machine.. however it can turn into more work than building the mainline kernel if you're only doing one machine.