Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-26-04, 03:49 PM   #1
ilDominante

Default nView/TwinView (multiple display) with Ge-Force FX 5700le and Mandrake 10 (official)

I just upgraded to a new Nvidia Ge-Force FX 5700le which has a DVI and a VGA port enabling one to run two monitors on the same card. The card includes NVIDIA nView multi display technology. I installed the Nvidia drivers for Linux A32 and the picture is beautiful (great job on those drivers by the way).

PROBLEM: following the readme instructions which I downloaded with the driver, I inserted the "TwinView" options in my XF86Config-4 file, as indicated. I did this several times, with different parameters and when I restart X I get a fatal error (see attached log files) "no screens found." The second monitor, (plugged into the DVI port trhough a VGA adapter), works when I am in the non-graphical interface, giving me a clone of the main monitor, but when X starts, the second monitor just goes to sleep. It's like the signal from the DVI port (trhough VGA adapter) disappears.
I know that the dual monitor setup works on my card, because with windows everything works as a charm. Unfortunately I detest windows, so could you please help? I worked on this for a week now and I don't know whom to ask.

Thanks a lot.

Alex
Attached Files
File Type: txt XFree86.0.log.txt (28.1 KB, 173 views)
File Type: txt XF86Config-4.txt (3.0 KB, 267 views)
ilDominante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-04, 05:08 PM   #2
delt

Send a message via ICQ to delt
Default Re: nView/TwinView (multiple display) with Ge-Force FX 5700le and Mandrake 10 (offici

I've been asking for support here regarding similar issues for several weeks, and i just got ignored.

Your best bet for nvidia support in linux is to call a psychic hotline or such. ofcourse since no one will read this it doesn't matter what i type.
delt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-04, 05:29 PM   #3
pete1978

Default Re: nView/TwinView (multiple display) with Ge-Force FX 5700le and Mandrake 10 (official)

Alex,

in your XF86Config file, line 84, try changing "ConnectedMonitor" to "CRT,CRT" instead of "CRT,DFP". The DFP option only works if you have an actual digital monitor, rather than just a dvi-vga adaptor. Also on line 82, you might want to try specifying a range for your "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" option rather than just a number. If it is the same make/model as your fist monitor then you can safely use the values specified in the "Monitor" section (ie 50-130). Finally, you have specified MetaModes of 1024x768 for both monitors (line 83), but in the "Screen" section you have asked for a virtual resolution of 1280x960. If you want 1280x960 and your monitors can both support it, then try "MetaModes" "1280x960, 1280x960; 1024x768, 1024x768; 800x600, 800x600". Try that lot and see if it works,

Pete.
pete1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-04, 05:41 PM   #4
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel
Default Re: nView/TwinView (multiple display) with Ge-Force FX 5700le and Mandrake 10 (offici

i do read these posts, but when i can't help, i will not post saying "sorry, you're sol i have no idea what to do" -- as that would be a useless post.

one thing though: i suggest trying X -configure and backing up your current config, then trying to modify the config generated by X -configure. this is generally a good idea, it will set up dual monitors for you, all you need to do is edit the file to make the driver use nv instead of nvidia (or is it nvidia instead of nv?), and add the option xenerama.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-04, 05:48 PM   #5
pete1978

Default Re: nView/TwinView (multiple display) with Ge-Force FX 5700le and Mandrake 10 (official)

Oh yeah, I forgot - you might want to remove the Xinerama option at the top of your XF86Config or set it to false - you dont need Xinerama enabled if you only have one graphics card and just want to use the TwinView feature.
pete1978 is offline   Reply With Quote