Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-27-04, 02:12 PM   #1
glub

Default No video signal after upgrade to Linux 2.4.20-6

I recently upgraded my Redhat Linux to 2.4.20-6. After doing that, the system booted up and displayed the results until it ran StartX. Then I had no more video. The video card is an NVidia GeForce FX 5600 and the monitor is a Dell Flat Panel. I changed the startup parameter from 5 to 3 so I could get to the root shell.

I checked the video card settings and a standard Vesa video driver was being installed. I downloaded the latest NVidia drivers (1.0-5336) run package and it installed everything for me automatically. I also edited the "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4" file and changed the Driver to "nvidia". The modules section has Load "glx", and I remarked out Load "dri" and Load "GLcore".

I ran StartX again, still no video. I've checked the message logs and the NVidia driver lines appear to be loading. I have found the following messages:

"Failure reading EDID parameters for display device CRT-0"

"Failed to Start X server several times in a short time period; disabling display :0"

"insmod: Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.20-6/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o will taint the kernel; non-GPL license NVIDIA

"agppart:detected and 865G, but could not find 2nd device, assuming non-integrated video card"

"AGP aperture is 64M blah blah

When I rebooted and tried StartX again, still the same thing, no video.

Any suggestions?
Michelle
glub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-04, 03:31 PM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Default Re: No video signal after upgrade to Linux 2.4.20-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by glub
"Failure reading EDID parameters for display device CRT-0"

"Failed to Start X server several times in a short time period; disabling display :0"
Try ignoring the EDID response (which determines working horizontal and vertical sync rates.. the refresh speeds for each resolution). For this to work you will need to specify the sync rates manually however..

Code:
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Dell P992"
        HorizSync    30.0 - 107.0
        VertRefresh  48.0 - 170.0
#       Option      "dpms"
 EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver       "nvidia"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce FX"
        Option      "IgnoreEDID" "1"
#        Option      "NvAGP" "2"
#        Option      "nologo" "1"
EndSection
The darkred lines should be in your config.. the IgnoreEDID line will have to be added but the other two should be there already.
Those sync values are for my monitor... you should use the values that are correct for your flat panel. If your system's X config program did not supply values for that monitor post the exact model name and I'll see if I can get them for you -- do not just use something that might be wrong, it can cause damage.