Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-28-02, 12:49 AM   #1
cenkog

Thumbs up Do you know "Knoppix LINUX" ? I can't believe in my eyes gentlemen...

This is a "CD boot only" version of LINUX ...You can setup a full LINUX OS (With full programs:Nearly 2000 extra programs) in your Windows system (without touching your windows system) in minutes...This CD recognizes everything in your system automatically ... Really very interesting !...

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

http://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/ftp/mirror/knoppix/
cenkog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-02, 11:38 AM   #2
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

so you mean nothig gets installed on your hard drive? or is it just your settings get saved in a folder somewhere on your Windows drive...
Old 10-28-02, 02:12 PM   #3
cenkog

Smile

If you want your personal settings can be saved in a floppy & you can use it during booting...This version of LINUX can read/write on FAT32 HDDs(If you want of course or you can select read-only settings) & only can read on NTFS volumes(just like all LINUX versions)...

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
so you mean nothig gets installed on your hard drive? or is it just your settings get saved in a folder somewhere on your Windows drive...
Old 10-28-02, 04:13 PM   #4
The Baron

I've been preaching the Gospel of Knoppix for a while
Old 10-29-02, 02:45 PM   #5
cenkog

Thumbs up Knoppix LINUX : Amazing !

KNOPPIX is a bootable CD with a collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI devices, and other peripherals. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk due to on-the-fly decompression...This OS version works only from CD & it creates a kind of ramdisk in your syst. mem . 128 MB mem is enough for this OS to work properly but more is preferred of course...I recommend you to create a 2 GB FAT or FAT32 HDD partitition because of the files you want to save from inside of this Linux OS(other than your personal settings).Your personal OS settings (Like regional settings,language,desktop conf,device settings,visual preferences etc) are saved in a floppy ...You must use this floppy during booting if you don't want to use default OS settings (I do not recommend it of course)... The command for knoppix Linux OS to use this floppy during booting is "knoppix floppyconf"...

My HDD configuration:

*HDD 1 (40 GB)

C : 40 GB NTFS XP System Partition

*HDD 2 (40 GB)

D : (2 GB) FAT32 Swap partititon for XP & saved
files partition for "Knoppix Linux" whatever I use at
that moment(XP or Knoppix)

E : (38 GB) NTFS My general DATA partition for XP

My PC : Windows XP Pro SP1 (English) with Direct X 8.1 / Asus P4B266-C MoBo /Asus iPanel / P4 2000@2200 / 512mb DDR RAM / 2x 40 GB 7200 rpm Quantum Fireball AS HDD / Pioneer 16x DVD /32x Lite-On internal IDE CD writer/ OnBoard C-Media 8738 chip sound card with latest updated drivers / Elsa Erazor X2 GeForce1 32 MB DDR with Detonator 31.40 / Sony SDM S-81 LCD VGA 18" Monitor / Microsoft Precision 1 Joystick(Gameport) / MS Game Voice hardware with software v1.5 / Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Theater 5.1 / Hauppauge Win TV PCI Card with latest drivers / HP PSC950 Printer-scanner combo USB / Diamond SupraExpress 56e Pro Ext. Modem (Com 1) / Alcatel Speed Touch USB ADSL Modem / Microsoft Internet keyboard PS/2 & Microsoft IntelliMouse optical PS/2 .

Last edited by cenkog; 10-29-02 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-29-02, 05:09 PM   #6
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

This thing kicks some serious flange!

I brought it to my computer classl, and eveyone was like WOW

I had to go home and make like 10 copies that night! LOL