Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-30-03, 09:22 AM   #13
energyman76b

Default Re: um, wrong....

Quote:
Originally posted by AutoPilot
You DO have to put v4l in XF86Config if you want to use a bttv based capture card to watch TV... check my other thread about the problems titled GeForce + bttv = garbage (or something like that). This is where I found out that you had to have the module loaded for this card (which was not the case with my Banshee).

Adding the module fixed the display garbage problem and finally made vl4 usable on this machine.

Using grabdisplay is a horrible hack, and not something I would even consider an option due to the load it adds to the system (you see, I tend to do more than one thing at a time, which is why I run Linux in the first place)
I am using a bttv based TV-Card (Terratec TV+) for YEARS.
I used it together with a Rage128, together with a gf-2 mx 400 and now wit ha gf4-mx 440

I know what I say.
v4l in XF86Config is not needed!
dga is needed (comment out 'omit dga-xfree ' or so)

Until I changed my mainboard (Thursday) I was able to enjoy dga, but my new board is not recognized by the driver and enabling dga locks my box up.
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-03, 01:25 PM   #14
AutoPilot
GeForce2GTS 64M

Default v4l module...

Like I said... read the other thread I started about bttv and the geforce driver.

I found 3 ways to get v4l to work with this video chip:
1: Reduce the v4l resolution to less than 1/4 of its capability (1/2X & 1/2Y).
2: Use the "nv" driver that comes with XFree86.
3: Add the v4l module to XFree86.

#1 is not acceptable for obvious reasons.
#2 is not acceptable due to the lack of 3D support.
#3 works, and adds scaling.

As I stated before, the v4l module is apparently not the cause of the lockups, as I've seen it in systems that DID NOT HAVE this module or even a bttv card installed.
Telling me to remove this module is pointless for this reason.

Again, READ THE OTHER THREAD.
If you have any other way to get around the problem, I'd love to hear it... I've seen the problem outlined in detail IN THE OTHER THREAD on every machine I've installed a bttv card in (bt848 and bt878 chips, multiple vendors) that had a geforce card.

Also, if you've used these cards for years, you should be well aware that just adding the bttv module alone (as you suggested in your previous posting) is _nowhere_near_ enough to get it working. There are many modules that need to be loaded, and many options that must be configured that are card-specific, as there are many implementations of these cards.

The following is from my primary system (with an 878 card installed):

alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 bttv
post-install bttv /sbin/modprobe -k tvmixer ; /sbin/modprobe -k btaudio
post-install tvmixer /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc-bttv -d /dev/mixer1 -L
pre-remove tvmixer /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc-bttv -d /dev/mixer1 -S
options bttv card=40 radio=1
options tuner type=2
options tvaudio tea6420=1 tda9850=1 tda9855=0 debug=0

The following is from one of my other systems (with an 848 card installed):

alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 bttv
post-install bttv /sbin/modprobe -k tvmixer
post-install tvmixer /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc-bttv -d /dev/mixer1 -L
pre-remove tvmixer /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc-bttv -d /dev/mixer1 -S
options bttv card=3 radio=1
options tuner type=2
options tvaudio tea6300=1 tda9850=1 tda9855=0 debug=0

If you really want to compare how long we've used these cards, I was using them for years before your rage128 chip was ever released, on a "high end" (at the time) 486 based system. I've also been using Linux as my primary O/S since mid-'92.

Arguing in this fashion is pointless, as it does not solve anyone's problems. If you have a _resolution_ to either problem I've posted, please tell us all what it is... but please read the other thread before continuing to tell me that the only thing that anyone has come up with that does work, doesn't.
AutoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-03, 03:06 PM   #15
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Can you please try disabling ACPI?

--andy
Old 04-02-03, 01:35 AM   #16
AutoPilot
GeForce2GTS 64M

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Mecham
Can you please try disabling ACPI?

--andy
Yup, did... and tried the newly released driver.
Same problem... X locks, taking all available CPU, and strace against the process shows the following:

sigreturn() = ? (mask now [])
--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) ---
...endlessly.

Thanks anyways.
Old 04-02-03, 03:55 AM   #17
Nuitari

I'm going to buy a Ti 4200 today and see what happens.
Nuitari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-03, 01:19 PM   #18
AutoPilot
GeForce2GTS 64M

Talking

Please see my new thread titled: OpenOffice triggered NVidia X lockup isolated!!

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/sho...&threadid=11568

Quick solution: remove the following line from XF86Config
Option "RenderAccel" "True"
Old 05-30-04, 02:45 PM   #19
extace

Default Instability

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoPilot
Yup, did... and tried the newly released driver.
Same problem... X locks, taking all available CPU, and strace against the process shows the following:

...endlessly.

Thanks anyways.

I get this same issue on gentoo 1.4.10 (kernel 2.4.16 vanilla) on a Tyan Tiger MP (and an MPX (S2460 and S2466 respectively)) with both a GeForce 4 MX 440 and a GeForce FX 5200. Usually happens in KDE 3.2.2, when the cursor is being changed. (i.e. clicking on a button, new wnidows pops up, etc..) X11 stops updating all windows except the mouse cursor which can still be moved around on screen, X is using 100% of the CPU with the same info as above when using an strace. The problem seemed to be getting progressively worse on the original Tyan MP with GF4 MX440 (suspected hardware, but all tests said things were A-OK), so I bought a new card, the FX5200, problem was just as bad (if not worse), and showed up under gnome and Xfce within moments of starting X, (drag a window around and it would freeze X). So I bought the newer board (S2466, Tyan Tiger MP) which would take my existing CPU's/RAM (768Megs Registered ECC). After that the system seemed stable, but still freezes in X11 under kde occasionaly under the same circumstances above. Not sure why the new board seemed to improve things, as it passed the memtest86 run, and various benchmark tools, figured the AGP bus on the old board was flakey.

Tried all combinations of NvAGP, RenderAccel, kernel options of mem=nopentium, noapic, etc and all had ZERO EFFECT.

As a side note, the 4496 drivers ran glxgears to about 2200 fps with the GF4 MX440, the 5336 drivers run only around 240fps.

currently using 5336 drivers. Sent a bug report directly to linux-bugs@nvidia.com with no response as well
extace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-04, 07:56 PM   #20
Nuitari

Default Re: v4l module causes instability

For me everything seems to be fine since I got a ti4600 in exchange for the ti4200.

Both time it appears I got cards that eventually went defective.
Nuitari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-04, 08:10 AM   #21
rednuht
GeForce FX5600 (1.0-5336)

I only get the lockups with openGL and then infrequently, but before I removed ACPI things were 10 times worse.
same repeating trace telneted in from another machine.
I have tried;
kernels 2.4 and 2.6,
all drivers since 4496
all the different nvidia config tags
some random XFree86 config tags
(and I ended up having to replace both the processor and the motherboard, but still VIA and AMD)
nothing makes any difference.
only solution i have is: no openGL, makes my nice machine a file server/web console

When i last tried to get more info on this issue i found ATi owners have the same problem (well same trace)
rednuht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-04, 08:35 AM   #22
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Default Re: Instability

Quote:
Originally Posted by extace
I get this same issue on gentoo 1.4.10 (kernel 2.4.16 vanilla) on a Tyan Tiger MP (and an MPX (S2460 and S2466 respectively)) with both a GeForce 4 MX 440 and a GeForce FX 5200. Usually happens in KDE 3.2.2, when the cursor is being changed. (i.e. clicking on a button, new wnidows pops up, etc..) X11 stops updating all windows except the mouse cursor which can still be moved around on screen, X is using 100% of the CPU with the same info as above when using an strace. The problem seemed to be getting progressively worse on the original Tyan MP with GF4 MX440 (suspected hardware, but all tests said things were A-OK), so I bought a new card, the FX5200, problem was just as bad (if not worse), and showed up under gnome and Xfce within moments of starting X, (drag a window around and it would freeze X). So I bought the newer board (S2466, Tyan Tiger MP) which would take my existing CPU's/RAM (768Megs Registered ECC). After that the system seemed stable, but still freezes in X11 under kde occasionaly under the same circumstances above. Not sure why the new board seemed to improve things, as it passed the memtest86 run, and various benchmark tools, figured the AGP bus on the old board was flakey.

Tried all combinations of NvAGP, RenderAccel, kernel options of mem=nopentium, noapic, etc and all had ZERO EFFECT.

As a side note, the 4496 drivers ran glxgears to about 2200 fps with the GF4 MX440, the 5336 drivers run only around 240fps.

currently using 5336 drivers. Sent a bug report directly to linux-bugs@nvidia.com with no response as well
Not sure what the problem might be with your system, but I run a Tyan S2466 and I've not had any problems with the 5336 drivers at all (I'm currently running the 5341 Drivers, again, it all seems stable enough). And I've run the following Nvidia Cards and Linux OS's, GF3 Ti500, GF4Ti4600/4800, GF FX5900/5950, RH8.0, RH9, FC1 and currently RHEL3.

So basically I've given the drivers heaps, by running Quake 3 (GL mode) and UT2K4 for many hours without an issue (And a few other GL games).

So it may be possible that it may be mother board related or some strange stuff in the OS. Also it might also be possible that you need to update the BIOS. I run (3) three of these mother boards with Nvidia cards and the latest drivers without a problem. I have not gone to the 2.6.x kernel yet, until all the problems get ironed out.

Wolf
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-04, 10:55 AM   #23
Norman
Gigabyte GeForce 6600 GT

I definitly can say that you can watch tv at full resolution with a bttv tuner card without the X11 v4l module being loaded - at least with tvtime & xawdecode. I had problems with xawtv, which may be related, so you may want to get rid of the v4l module and use a different tv app instead.
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote