Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-25-04, 01:10 PM   #1
eL_PuSHeR

Default WindowsXP swapfile "recommended" size question

Hi all. I have just updated my ram memory from 512MB (DDR) to 1GB. Now i want to know the method used by winxp for "recommending" the size of the paging file, because it's still recommending me the same size when my pc had 512MB. Do you know of any registry entry to be changed/deleted? Do you know if there is a way to instruct winxp to recompute size again? TIA
Creative GeForce4 Ti4200
Integrated CMI8738 audio
eL_PuSHeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 01:23 PM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: WindowsXP swapfile "recommended" size question

Dunno, I manually set my page file to a 1024 mb maximum and minimum (even though I have a gig of RAM) and it hasn't given me a lick trouble.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 01:31 PM   #3
eL_PuSHeR

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, i have thought about that but i am still curious about how to do it using "automatic" mode.
Creative GeForce4 Ti4200
Integrated CMI8738 audio
Old 05-25-04, 03:39 PM   #4
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

i have my swap at 250 on one hard drive and 250 on another. i have a gig of memory also. its good to have the 2 chunks cause it would let windows write to 2 places in the swap at once.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-04, 07:21 AM   #5
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942
i have my swap at 250 on one hard drive and 250 on another. i have a gig of memory also. its good to have the 2 chunks cause it would let windows write to 2 places in the swap at once.
Sweet idea. I'm gonna have to try that out when I get home later. Thanks for the tip!
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-04, 12:00 PM   #6
eL_PuSHeR

Never thought about that myself either. I have three different partitions. Won't it hinder performance?

PS: I finally had it and set the swap file size myself.

EDIT: I edit myself. I am stupid. This trick won't work on different partitions on the same PHYSICAL drive. zoomy942 stated that he has two different physical drives. That makes more sense. Should have paid more attention when i read his post.
Creative GeForce4 Ti4200
Integrated CMI8738 audio
Old 05-26-04, 04:49 PM   #7
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Yup, I tried that a while ago, works pretty well if you have multiple drive that operate independantly (although it would of course be better to have so much ram that a swap file isn't needed ). My drives always seemed to slow eachother down though, so for me it didn't work that much better. Not to mention I like having every single Windows file on my 5gb partition, makes formatting easier.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-04, 05:05 PM   #8
Clay

I've read many times in the past that the most ideal location for your swap file is on a physical hard disk (with nothing else on it, no partitions, etc). I think it's splitting hairs personally though.

I personally believe that us americans are unable to do so because osama.

People out there in our nation don't have that, And I believe that our education like such as south africa and such as the Iraq.

everywhere "such as". And I believe our education should help the US should help the south africa and the iraq and the asian countries so we can build up our future.
-- Miss Teen South Carolina

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-04, 11:53 PM   #9
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

the swap file on windows operating systems is always 1.5 times the amount of physical ram that you have; provided that you allow windows to configure it for you.

[linux advocate]this is stupid, because of course the more ram you have, the less swap you use -- also windows uses your swap file before it is necessary, so if you're getting ram upgrades and really want to see a performance boost, you're going to need linux [/linux advocate]

on a more serious side, if i had a gig of ram, i'd make my swap size 512mb. of course, that's just me.

btw: keep in mind that the constant accesses of a drive that contains a swap file can dramatically shorten the life of it. i personally use a 10gig drive for my swap, because it only spins at 5,400rpm, it's a lot less suseptable to hardware failure. but, of course, i run linux, so my swap is entirely useless unless i'm compiling a program, lol (therefore i never notice a performance hit).
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-04, 01:07 AM   #10
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Hmm, I wonder if people with a gig of ram can simply disable virtual memory altogeather. I remember I disabled it a few times on my 233 with 64 megs of ram to see what would happen, and most of my older games worked fine and didn't use up unnecissary swap file access. I don't think there's a commercial game out there that uses more than 800 megs of ram, and it would be REALLY hard to get a program to use more than that (the most I've ever used with Lightwave 3d is 150 megs).
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-04, 08:29 AM   #11
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Hmm, I wonder if people with a gig of ram can simply disable virtual memory altogeather. I remember I disabled it a few times on my 233 with 64 megs of ram to see what would happen, and most of my older games worked fine and didn't use up unnecissary swap file access. I don't think there's a commercial game out there that uses more than 800 megs of ram, and it would be REALLY hard to get a program to use more than that (the most I've ever used with Lightwave 3d is 150 megs).
you can turn it off but it's not recommended by most. I just let windows control my swap file and don't worry about it. I'm actually a dual monitor user, so I have a system information program in one screen at all times and I can view the swap file useage while playing games. Honestly, the useage really isn't that bad so I just leave it be.