Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-02-04, 03:08 PM   #49
Xplode
 
Xplode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 166
Default Re: Fx5800U?!?! Plz help

Well Im gonna go for it once I got 3dmark03 done downloading...
Xplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 03:21 PM   #50
ragejg
nV News Alumni
 
ragejg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Finger Lakes of Hell, NY
Posts: 5,399
Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Default Re: Fx5800U?!?! Plz help

Still to this day, I find that the best all around stress test is still Running dragothinc in hi-detail mode...
__________________

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU


______________________________________________
Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch


ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 03:25 PM   #51
Xplode
 
Xplode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 166
Default Re: Fx5800U?!?! Plz help

Hey ragejg do you have the same card as me?
Xplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 07:34 PM   #52
Xplode
 
Xplode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 166
Default Re: Fx5800U?!?! Plz help

Wow just went fomr 4700 3dmark03 to 5600 overclocked from 390/700--450/800, dont wanna go farther then this.
Xplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 08:15 PM   #53
ragejg
nV News Alumni
 
ragejg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Finger Lakes of Hell, NY
Posts: 5,399
Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Default Re: Fx5800U?!?! Plz help

I have a BFG 5900XTOC...@ stock clocks (430/736)... so, no, I kinda don't have the same card...

Seriously consider 850 or possibly 900 if you have one of those XT's with the quicker (non 2.8ns) memory... The extra umph will help where it counts.
__________________

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU


______________________________________________
Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch


ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 08:39 PM   #54
Xplode
 
Xplode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 166
Default Re: Fx5800U?!?! Plz help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragejg
I have a BFG 5900XTOC...@ stock clocks (430/736)... so, no, I kinda don't have the same card...

Seriously consider 850 or possibly 900 if you have one of those XT's with the quicker (non 2.8ns) memory... The extra umph will help where it counts.
Wouldnt that be pushing the card a little too much with just it stock fan.
Xplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-04, 06:34 PM   #55
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: Fx5800U?!?! Plz help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay
Naw. I'll just start posting practically every 5900XT can do 50 mhz more. and some up to 75 mhz more ;p
That is true ChrisRay, but practically every 5800U will OC some as well, and I'm not really sure what you're saying?
A 5900XT will OC to 50-75MHz higher than a 5800U?! If that is what you're trying to say, I'm doubting "practically every" 5900XT runs at 550/1100 or 575/1150.
If you're trying to say most XTs OC to near 5900NU speed, sure, I buy that, but that still puts them below the 5800Us in the benchmarks I posted.
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-04, 06:40 PM   #56
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: Fx5800U?!?! Plz help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined
I _owned_ the ASUS 5800 *non*-ultra and even without the blower on it the annoying high pitched whine of its turbine fan at idle got to me in less than 30 minutes. I sold it on eBay ASAP and luckily got what I paid for it. It sucked, the 5900 non-ultra was a much better card - it ran cooler, ran much, much quieter both at idle and at full go, and is better suited for high res aa/af and dx9. I would rather use a GeForce FX5200 64-bit card than a 5800U/NU just because the annoying whine of the turbine of the 5800 would mean me not wanting to sit at my computer for more than 20 minutes even just using the internet.

And I'll lose 5fps over that annoying idle whine or the WOOOOSH during gameplay any day of the week. Then again, play a DX9 game at high res AA/AF and I don't think you'd want the 5800U over the 5900 that much anymore.
Well I see you wisely forgot about the other aspects of your argument, but I'm sorry to say you're mistaken about this one as well.
The 5800U and the 5800NU you had are different animals.
Like I said, the fan on the 5800U is totally inactive in 2d, and totally silent.
I had a 5800NU last year, I didn't find the fan noise as annoying as you, but to each their own.

Anyway, like I said, the 5800 is quieter than any other video card with a fan in 2d mode, because the fan doesn't run.

As far as DX9 goes, neither card has what it takes to run DX9 PS2 very well, so it's a moot point. You need a 6800 or X800 for that.
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-04, 07:02 PM   #57
ChrisRay
Registered User
 
ChrisRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 5,101
Default Re: Fx5800U?!?! Plz help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
That is true ChrisRay, but practically every 5800U will OC some as well, and I'm not really sure what you're saying?
A 5900XT will OC to 50-75MHz higher than a 5800U?! If that is what you're trying to say, I'm doubting "practically every" 5900XT runs at 550/1100 or 575/1150.
If you're trying to say most XTs OC to near 5900NU speed, sure, I buy that, but that still puts them below the 5800Us in the benchmarks I posted.


Nope. I'm Saying a 5800 loses its fill rate advantage big time by OCing a 5900, Because with a higher memory bandwith you get more more Fill Rate per mhz Than you do with a 5800.

a 5900 @ 475/900 hits a higher single texturing fill rate and practically equal Multi Texturing fill rate than a 5800 Ultra in most circumstances.

Due to having more memory bandwith,

You lose a lot of effiency of core with a 5800 due to memory bandwith bottleneck.
__________________
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-04, 08:12 PM   #58
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: Fx5800U?!?! Plz help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay
Nope. I'm Saying a 5800 loses its fill rate advantage big time by OCing a 5900, Because with a higher memory bandwith you get more more Fill Rate per mhz Than you do with a 5800.

a 5900 @ 475/900 hits a higher single texturing fill rate and practically equal Multi Texturing fill rate than a 5800 Ultra in most circumstances.

Due to having more memory bandwith,

You lose a lot of effiency of core with a 5800 due to memory bandwith bottleneck.
It's on!

LOL
I agree memory bandwidth is good, and that the 5900 series has better shader performance, but:
1. I don't think you'll see a huge difference in at playable settings in either card (i.e. you have to hit the limit of your bandwidth for it to be an issue)
2. Your argument is based on the supposition the part you buy will OC it's memory 100MHz, which is a pretty huge OC for that slow RAM they put in cards made to spec at 350Mhz. (i.e. to go from 700MHz effective to 900MHz effective, you have to bump RAM speed from 350>450MHz)
3. Not everyone wants to/can OC
4. 5800Us OC too, both memory and core (look at what Waltar ran his at-
560/1200(!) )

Anyway, my original post was mainly to point out the many persisting misconceptions about the much misunderstood and maligned 5800U, which I've been loving using for months now.
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-04, 08:29 PM   #59
ChrisRay
Registered User
 
ChrisRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 5,101
Default Re: Fx5800U?!?! Plz help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
It's on!

LOL
I agree memory bandwidth is good, and that the 5900 series has better shader performance, but:
1. I don't think you'll see a huge difference in at playable settings in either card (i.e. you have to hit the limit of your bandwidth for it to be an issue)
2. Your argument is based on the supposition the part you buy will OC it's memory 100MHz, which is a pretty huge OC for that slow RAM they put in cards made to spec at 350Mhz. (i.e. to go from 700MHz effective to 900MHz effective, you have to bump RAM speed from 350>450MHz)
3. Not everyone wants to/can OC
4. 5800Us OC too, both memory and core (look at what Waltar ran his at-
560/1200(!) )

Anyway, my original post was mainly to point out the many persisting misconceptions about the much misunderstood and maligned 5800U, which I've been loving using for months now.

I agree the 5800 Is a great product, and I wasnt really basing my conclusion on On the extra 100 Mhz, Would you believe raising the memory from 700 to 900 mhz only gives me about a 3-4 FPS increase in most benchmarks?

But it does increase the texturing Fill Rate, I agree there isnt a major difference, But I usually fill the pros out weigh the cons of a 5800/verses 5900.

While not everyone wants to/can OC, You have to admit, Most people whod buy an FX 5800 Ultra would be a pure enthusiast,

I do agree that there is a misconception about the 5800, But I also dont believe the 5800 Is all that "superior" to a 5900. In most cases, I think the 5800/5900 line are fairly equal, The architectual differences for DX 9.0 definately weigh in the 5900s favor, But DX 8.0/Fixed Function. The 5800 does seem to have a slight advantage

anyway, Good discussion, its definately worth considering all aspects.
__________________
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-04, 09:15 PM   #60
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: Fx5800U?!?! Plz help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay
I agree the 5800 Is a great product, and I wasnt really basing my conclusion on On the extra 100 Mhz, Would you believe raising the memory from 700 to 900 mhz only gives me about a 3-4 FPS increase in most benchmarks?

But it does increase the texturing Fill Rate, I agree there isnt a major difference, But I usually fill the pros out weigh the cons of a 5800/verses 5900.

While not everyone wants to/can OC, You have to admit, Most people whod buy an FX 5800 Ultra would be a pure enthusiast,

I do agree that there is a misconception about the 5800, But I also dont believe the 5800 Is all that "superior" to a 5900. In most cases, I think the 5800/5900 line are fairly equal, The architectual differences for DX 9.0 definately weigh in the 5900s favor, But DX 8.0/Fixed Function. The 5800 does seem to have a slight advantage

anyway, Good discussion, its definately worth considering all aspects.

Agreed- good discussion. Were I looking for a ~$200 card these days I'd probably try to find a used 5900U.
You and I probably wouldn't have much to discuss in regard to nVidia cards, it would seem we agree on more than we disagree on.
Mostly I wanted to point out the huge errors in the other posts.

The 5800U must be allowed to R.I.P.- it was better than most gave it credit for.
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plz Help!!! Rll NVIDIA Linux 5 10-10-02 12:53 AM
Got a Hercules sound card, read here plz! Fluke General Hardware 32 09-30-02 08:50 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.