Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-13-04, 06:00 PM   #1
ToddM

Exclamation GART Patch Installation (Mandrake 9.1)

Hello all:

almost done and need a few pointers to get this finished. I started this a while back and noticed I hadn't finished the job properly.

I'm trying to get the drivers for my nForce2 board and GeForce FX 5200 Ultra installed.

First, I downloaded the rpm files for my setup (Mandrake 9.1) and ran:

rpm -i NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.mdk91up_2.4.21_0.13.athlon.rpm

I also installed the drivers for the GeForce FX 5200 Ultra. Everything here seemed to work right.

I noticed that I hadn't installed the source code and did that next. Checking /var/log/kernel/info I saw the lines which read:

kernel: Linux agpgart interface v0.99 © Jeff Hartman
kernel: agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
kernel: agpgart: unsupported bridge
kernel: agpgart: no supported device found

so I went back to the instructions for the nforce drivers and started at the part of GART Patch installation. I went into the Linux kernel source directory:

cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.21_0.13mdk
patch -p1 < /usr/src/nvidia/nvgart/linux-2.4.20-agpgart.diff

Everything seemed to patch ok except the defconfig file which failed and produced a reject file defconfig.rej. I checked out the contents of the reject file which seemed to just add a line in defconfig 'CONFIG_AGP_NVIDIA=y' which I added using emacs.

I then ran 'make menuconfig' and verified the settings for "Processor type and features" and "Character devices". When I saved and closed menuconfig it spewed forth some code and ended with a note saying that I now needed to run 'make dep' which I did. The next step in the instructions say to Rebuild and Reinstall the Kernel -> read the instructions for your specific distro. Uh-oh, now I'm stuck. Ok, I pulled out a RedHat 7.3 book I had which listed the following steps to recompile the kernel:

make config (or make menuconfig) DONE
make dep DONE
make clean (actually ran make mrpropper) DONE
make bzImage (this is where problems begin) PENDING
make modules
make modules_install
cp /arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21_0.13
ln -s /boot/vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21_0.13 (not sure what this does)

Ok, when I ran bzImage it started running me through what appeared to be a text version of 'make menuconfig' and the default answers were not what I had set when I ran 'make menuconfig' and I had not memorized what all I had set in there.

THIS IS WHERE I NEED SOME HELP! Am I doing this right? Is there a better way to do it? I am wanting to set this up as an alternative boot choice, at least initially, until I'm sure everything works. By the way, I'm using GRUB to boot.

Can someone please help me with the last few steps? I'm so close to finally having it all running and excited to understand this.

Thanks, ToddM
ToddM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-04, 07:04 AM   #2
ToddM

Default Re: GART Patch Installation (Mandrake 9.1)

OK, so I'm not running the latest hardware or the latest drivers, cannot someone at least respond to my question??

Thanks.

Last edited by ToddM; 06-15-04 at 09:16 AM. Reason: cooled off
Old 06-15-04, 07:44 AM   #3
sarah

The problem is in your third step where you did this:

make clean (actually ran make mrpropper) DONE

If you had actually done a "make clean", you would have been fine. It would have deleted leftover remains from any previous builds you may have done. Instead, you did a "make mrproper". THIS command actually deleted the .config file you had created in step one where you did the "make menuconfig".

The time to do a "make mrproper" is before you even configure your kernel. Just keep in mind that this command DELETES any old configuration you may have in the directory. If you want to save an old configuration, you will need to temporarily rename the .config file to some other name.
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-04, 07:57 AM   #4
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

Can U PLEASE START ONLY 1 THREAD NEXT TIME pertaining to the same question and in ONE SECTION of the forum
thanks

MUYA
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-04, 09:29 AM   #5
ToddM

Thanks Sarah. I'll try it again when i get home tonight.

I'm not sure if things are working as they are supposed to at this point. I ran glxgears and got around an average of 3300 fps; which I had the impression was around the right range to be in. I was looking at some of the other posts people have sent in and looked at what logs they looked at to show things weren't working right. Some of the logs I checked on my machine made me think the AGP bridge was not loading, other logs appeared to say it was. What exactly am I supposed to look at to determine if everything is loaded right and running at maximum efficiency?

Muya, I tried posting the original message in the other thread because no one had responded to the original and it had moved all the way to the 3rd page here without anyone responding. Sorry, I'm just really anxious to figure this stuff out and a lot of the manuals I've been able to get my hands on haven't explained things very well.
Old 06-15-04, 09:31 AM   #6
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

have patience Todd. Someone will answer eventually. Just refrain from double posting the same topic/post in two seperate sections in the future thanks

MUYA
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-04, 11:46 AM   #7
blueworm
[DEADAGAIN]blueworm

MUYA did you nuke the other dup thread?
Anyhow Todd.
You DONT NEED THE AGPGART PATCH.
This patch is only needed if you are running a non-NVIDIA graphics card.
Disregard the warning in dmesg it is harmless.
All you need to do is add the following to your device section of XF86Config
Code:
Option ¨NvAGP¨ ¨1¨#this tells the driver to load Nvidias AGP driver
You can of course use AGPGART if you insist but there is a performance hit on nforce2 boards.
Registered linux user #271604 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org/
lianLi PC60, OCZ powerStream 520W PSU, Asus P5N-E SLI, Core 2 duo E6550, 2Gb GEIL, XFX 8800GT, TB SantaCruz
blueworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-04, 02:21 PM   #8
ToddM

Hmm, ok? I don't remember reading anything about that, Blueworm. Is that written out someplace? No since in taking a performance hit when I don't have to.

What exactly am I supposed to do to maximize the performance of my nforce2 mb and NVIDIA agp card? should I uninstall anything I've already done?

What is the best "written" source for information that I can read that will tell me everything I should know?

Thanks.

Old 06-15-04, 02:48 PM   #9
blueworm
[DEADAGAIN]blueworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddM
Hmm, ok? I don't remember reading anything about that, Blueworm. Is that written out someplace? No since in taking a performance hit when I don't have to.

What exactly am I supposed to do to maximize the performance of my nforce2 mb and NVIDIA agp card? should I uninstall anything I've already done?

What is the best "written" source for information that I can read that will tell me everything I should know?

Thanks.
There isńt any one single place its basically just common knowledge and trial and error.
Freedom is about choice, you can take my word for it or discover it for your self.
Another good (The best) source of info on nforce is www.nforcershq.com have a look in the forum in the linux section.
Registered linux user #271604 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org/
lianLi PC60, OCZ powerStream 520W PSU, Asus P5N-E SLI, Core 2 duo E6550, 2Gb GEIL, XFX 8800GT, TB SantaCruz
blueworm is offline   Reply With Quote