Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-14-04, 11:02 AM   #1
andguent

Default Mandrake 9.2 & GeForce2 Go (Gateway 9550)

I am attempting to setup a Gateway Solo 9550 laptop as a dual boot W2k & Mandrake 9.2. It has a GeForce2 Go vid card that works in W2k. The readme extracted from NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run does list this video card as being supported.

After the Mandrake install, it boots fine to run level 3. At run level 5 the screen just displays an ugly set of black and white horizontal lines and nothing more. I can 3 finger salute and it will gracefully shutdown.

I have downloaded and successfully installed NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run through kernel-source and binutil error messages and all. nvidia-installer.log says everything installed fine (3rd or 4th try but thats ok).

I followed the NVinstaller's readme file and within /etc/X11/XFree86Config changed Driver "nv" for Driver "nvidia". All of the "load" lines seem to be correct. I know XFree86Config is the used config file because if I throw garbage in it and "startx" it will say my garbage is an invalid parameter. When I startx with the config file set as best as I can, it does not give me any error messages.

If I run XFree86 I get a working blue screen with basic X cursor.

I have dropped my color depth to 16 and my res down to 800x600.

None of my changes seem to help. I still get my ugly black and white horizontal lines. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
andguent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-04, 11:06 AM   #2
andguent

Default Re: Mandrake 9.2 & GeForce2 Go (Gateway 9550)

I guess it would be helpful if I posted my XF86Config huh.
Attached Files
File Type: txt XF86Config.txt (9.8 KB, 161 views)
Old 06-17-04, 11:03 AM   #3
andguent

Default Re: Mandrake 9.2 & GeForce2 Go (Gateway 9550)

I got it thanks to dumb luck and experimental frustration. Using XFdrake (I believe) which is mandrakes console based Xserver config wizard I set the Vid card type to a GeForce3. That seems to be working. However when I drop from X back down to run level 3 I have some massive screen flicker issues, but nothing is perfect. Hopefully this helps someone.