Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-23-04, 12:22 PM   #1
exar

Send a message via MSN to exar Send a message via Yahoo to exar
Exclamation Major boot problem

I turned on my computer last night, and it just stops in the middle of booting. It gets past the mem/cpu/hd checks (and everything shows up ok), but just when the screen should go blank to start WinXP, it does the following:

L 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99
99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99

It goes for about ten lines long like that then just stops. I can boot to a floppy or cd, but nothing else. When I booted from the WinXP cd, I ran the Windows Recovery Console. Fixboot said I had either a non-standard or corrupt boot sector (probably due to having Mandrake Linux as dual boot off a second hd). I have removed Linux about a week ago, but had not gotten rid of the Linux boot menu (I was in the process of cleaning my hd for a fresh install of XP). So I haven't had any problems with having the remains of the boot menu there.

Also ran fixmbr and reinstalled WinXP over the existing install. Still came up with the same crash.

I think I may have had a surge hit the mb 2 years ago since I couldn't use my ethernet connection to the cable modem since that storm (been using the USB port). So maybe the southbridge on the mb just gave out completely now???

I'm at a loss. Thanks for your help.

System Specs:
MSI K7N 420 Pro
AXP 1900+
512 MB Crucial
40GB Maxtor
10GB IBM
eVGA GF4 440MX
Old 06-23-04, 12:38 PM   #2
Fatman

Send a message via ICQ to Fatman Send a message via AIM to Fatman
Default Re: Major boot problem

Get into your BIOS and check the hard drive setup. Make sure it is not set to Auto. If you can select USER HDD. Double check that LBA mode is on and you have the correct UDMA mode selected.

If that doesn't work, try getting your hands on another HDD. I beleive you can download FreeDOS or IBM DOS, intall that just to make sure everything is working. But it doesn't sound like your mobo is dead, i'm pretty sure it's a hard drive problem.

In any case installing WinXP these days is a real hassle, especially with DSL and Cable connections. Probelm is that your windows gets infected with worms BEFORE the setup is even finalized. I suggest downloading ZoneAlarm and full XP SP1a as a stand-alone file before installing XP. Try to download other updates as well, and burn them to a CD if you can. Then disconnect your PC from any type of network, and proceed with fresh XP install.

I hope it works out for you. Good luck.
Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-04, 12:49 PM   #3
exar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman
Get into your BIOS and check the hard drive setup. Make sure it is not set to Auto. If you can select USER HDD. Double check that LBA mode is on and you have the correct UDMA mode selected.

If that doesn't work, try getting your hands on another HDD. I beleive you can download FreeDOS or IBM DOS, intall that just to make sure everything is working. But it doesn't sound like your mobo is dead, i'm pretty sure it's a hard drive problem.

In any case installing WinXP these days is a real hassle, especially with DSL and Cable connections. Probelm is that your windows gets infected with worms BEFORE the setup is even finalized. I suggest downloading ZoneAlarm and full XP SP1a as a stand-alone file before installing XP. Try to download other updates as well, and burn them to a CD if you can. Then disconnect your PC from any type of network, and proceed with fresh XP install.

I hope it works out for you. Good luck.
My BIOS has stayed the same throughout this. The only thing I have changed is the boot order so that I could boot from the cd (swapping HDD0 and CDROM from second and third positions). So the BIOS settings I've been using have worked for about 2 years now. I updated to the 2.8 BIOS version about 3 months ago, and nothing has happened until now.

When it's booting and doing to "99" thing, I can hear the hd clicking. However, when I boot to cd and run the Win Recovery Console, there's no noise, and I can see all my files on the hd like everything is still there.
Old 06-23-04, 01:01 PM   #4
Fatman

Send a message via ICQ to Fatman Send a message via AIM to Fatman

I realize that your BIOS settings are were fine for a ling time, nevertheless, just go in and look, it cant hurt. Also on XP cd, there is a folder called Extra i think, there is a neat HDD recovery utility. Maybe you can try checking out your boot sector. FYI i would suggest reading documentation befoe using hdd recover app.

P.S. if all else fails, try ghosting your drive.
Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-04, 02:23 PM   #5
exar

I asked our network admin at work, and she found this:

<http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/25/2003/10/4/108094>

So it would seem that it's a problem with the way I removed Linux. I couldn't find any information on ways to uninstall Linux (I guess they figure you'll never want to do that... So I just deleted partitions. The Linux boot menu was still present, but I figured that after I got around to formatting the hd, it would be deleted.

So now I guess I need to know how to remove the Linux boot menu (lilo). I never got around to making a recovery cd, so all I have are the 3 cd's for installing Mandrake Linux 9.0.

I guess I'll go post this in the Linux forum and see what help I can get there.

Thanks.