Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-27-04, 10:39 PM   #1
abetts

Default Low frame rate - Quadro FX 500, 53.36 driver, Dual Xeon, RedHat EL 3.0

I recently moved a Quadro FX 500 card from my 3-year-old Dell 8100 (P4, 1.4 GHz), 512MB RAM to a more recent machine with dual 2.0 GHz Xeon CPU's and 2GB RAM.

The frame rates of the OpenGL apps I develop were noticeably slower on the Xeon machine. I compared the frame rate reported by glxgears on both machines; on the dual Xeon I get around 3200 fps, and on the P4 I got around 4200 fps. I performed a glxgears comparison on both machines with a Ti4600, and found a similar difference in frame rate.

I'd expected that my apps would run at least as fast on the Xeon machine as on the old Dell, if not better.

Initially I was running an upgraded version of Red Hat 7.2 (2.4.18 kernel) on both machines. I use the latest version of NVidia's driver, 53.36 (on the Dell, when I upgraded to 53.36 from 44.?? I got a greatly improved frame rate in my own programs). I have since completely wiped the disk on the Xeon box and installed Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0 (2.4.21-4.ELsmp), but glxgears returns the same frame rate as with the older version of the OS. On both machines I use fvwm as a window manager.

glxinfo says that OpenGL is using hardware acceleration. Here are further specs on the Xeon box:

video card: Quadro FX 500
driver: 53.36
distro: RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.0
kernel: 2.4.21-4.ELsmp
video BIOS: 04.34.20.22.10
CPU: Dual Intel Xeon 2.0 GHz
motherbord: Supermicro PC4DC6/PC4DCE (Intel 860 chipset)

I've attached various other text files (my XF86Config, info from /proc, etc).

Could anyone please offer any suggestions to improve the frame rate on the Xeon machine, or a way to help identify the bottlenecks?

thanks!

- Alex
Attached Files
File Type: txt glxinfo.txt (5.9 KB, 144 views)
File Type: txt XF86Config.txt (3.1 KB, 144 views)
File Type: txt XFree86.0.log.txt (28.2 KB, 111 views)
File Type: txt nvidia-proc.txt (448 Bytes, 142 views)
abetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-04, 11:36 PM   #2
Willis

Default Re: Low frame rate - Quadro FX 500, 53.36 driver, Dual Xeon, RedHat EL 3.0

was system 1(p4) in the same screen depth as system 2(2 xeon),
i see in your Xlogs that your screen size was 1600x1200 cause everything looks right to me but im no pro and without the info from system 1 i can't determine anything really differnt.
user #276351
http://counter.li.org
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-04, 12:46 AM   #3
Thunderbird

Default Re: Low frame rate - Quadro FX 500, 53.36 driver, Dual Xeon, RedHat EL 3.0

Really don't use glxgears as a benchmark. For that purpose it is very unreliable. Use for example games for comparing performance.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-04, 02:07 AM   #4
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

well, the performance decrease could be due to many things... and one of the primary candidates is probably the kernel's configuration. though i can't pinpoint the error, i would say that your kernel isn't configured optimumly for that card. judging from the hardware/software, it sounds like you're part of a corperation. if that's the case, i'd say they want to use standardized kernels. in that case, there's not much you can really do except for scour your logs for evidence of problems and use google to resolve them all.

good luck, sorry i couldn't be of any more use than that.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote